1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Sterling by Music Man Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaymonJ11, Feb 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Ray34ca

29 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Ray34

36 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Ray35

33 vote(s)
    28.2%
  4. SB14

19 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    Keep us updated on the BT7 install if/when you do it.

Shinbone likes this.
  2. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    How much difference in tone is there between the ceramic pickup in my Ray4 and the Alnico in the Ray34? Is it worth it to add a Ray34 with an Alnico pickup and a 3 band EQ or should I just go straight for a Ray34 HH model with the 5 way switch if I really want a different tone?

3. LkS

LkS

Oct 30, 2013
    EU, Slovakia
    I have a Ray34CA in Vintage Cream with a rosewood fretboard. Would anyone be interested in trading their maple Ray34CA neck for my rosewood? It's in perfect shape, straight and adjustable, the frets have been leveled and dressed, the nut has been changed for tusq because the original one was cut too low. There is nothing wrong with it, I just like the vintage look of the maple.

4. Remoman

Remoman

Mar 14, 2017
    SoCal
    Man, I thought I posted this the first time I saw your post. While there's a difference in tone, there's also a difference in build quality so the Ray34 is a great upgrade. But, if you're otherwise happy with your Ray4, I'd say get a Nordstrand pup and pre-amp and stick that in. Still cheaper and if it's still not the sound you're looking for, then I think you'll need play a bunch of different Stingray type basses to find your favorite tone.

5. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    LkS,I have a Ray34CA maple neck,as you can see in my avatar. I think there might be some extra fees,on shipping rosewood fret board basses/necks? Especially overseas shipping.

6. sterlingray34

sterlingray34

Jun 17, 2019
    hi there,
    I have a question regarding the body wood of my black Ray34. in recent catalogues, the body for the black Rays is listed as mahogany. mine is from 2012, is that mahogany too? or ash?

thanks ;-)

7. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    From what I’ve gathered, the older ones are ash. I think somewhere around 2015-2016 is when they switched to basswood for colors other than natural.

8. sterlingray34

sterlingray34

Jun 17, 2019
    ah, great.thank you for the quick reply.
    does the difference in material (basswood/ash) have much impact on the sound at all?

9. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    I personally think basswood is a lot warmer. I have one basswood bass. My ash, alder, and mahogany basses have a lot of other variables to distinguish their sound. It’s hard to say for sure though because I don’t have two identical basses where the only difference is body wood. Also, I messed up, in 2015 or 2016, they changed to mahogany, not basswood. Only the SB14 came in basswood if my memory of the different year catalogues serves me correctly.

10. Remoman

Remoman

Mar 14, 2017
    SoCal
    In 2015 only the SUB series Ray4/5 was basswood, the rest of the basses were ash (hard ash not swamp ash). 2016 is when mahogany came into use on the 34/35QM models, and of course later on the 34/35KOA model. I think until the recent revamp for 2019 those were the only mahogany models. And yes, the SB14 was basswood.

11. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    I believe the solid color Ray34/35s went to mahogany when they introduced it as well. I know they show mahogany for the body wood on the black 34 right now on their site. That’s where my confusion from a few pages back stemmed.

12. LkS

LkS

Oct 30, 2013
    EU, Slovakia
    We will want some real pictures next week. No backsies.

ejschultz likes this.
  13. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM

I can really confuse you if anyone wants the scoop on the woods, and what each factory used...

Youngspanion, ejschultz and Remoman like this.
  14. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    Please do.

Youngspanion and SBMM like this.
  15. Bassic Needs

Bassic Needs

Jul 7, 2019
    Canada
    Pulled the trigger last night on the StingRay5 Poplar Burl Trans top.
    (The one on the right)

Can't wait for it to arrive.

16. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    Got my Ray34 back yesterday from the local luthier I use. The setup feels spot on so far and his fretwork is top notch. I can’t wait to get to playing this thing again.

Herald Becker and Youngspanion like this.
  17. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    32844264-8E09-4B0B-BB45-E84FE54C8489.

For reference, I know we’ve mentioned it before recently, but I for sure verified that the Hipshot BT-7 and HB-7 are a direct fit. From what I understand, it’s all been speculation on what fits. I’ll probably be ordering a set for mine now that I know it fits.

lokikallas likes this.
  18. Oatis

Oatis

Nov 6, 2018
    Alabama
    My stock tuners on the 5 string Ray (5) are too "touchy" and a little turn changes the pitch a lot . Is that why most people want an upgrade ?

19. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Could be. The original Schaller fitted to EBMM StingRay are 20:1. The SBMM are 22:1 and the Hipshot HB7 are 27:1, as are the HB1 Schaller replacements. I used HB1 on my Ray34 as a wanted the tapered posts and the aethetic of the short key.

20. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    I don’t believe the HB1 is a direct replacement though, correct?

Also, I use the HB7/BT7 on my Mexican Fender Jazz. They are really nice tuners.