1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Sterling by Music Man Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaymonJ11, Feb 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Ray34ca

29 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Ray34

36 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Ray35

33 vote(s)
    28.2%
  4. SB14

19 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    That's right, it's not a direct replacement. But the base-plate of the HB1 fully covers the holes left by the HB7 pattern. The HB1 holes are far enough away from the SBMM/HB7 holes for the new holes not to break through. Also, the post diameter is the same as the SBMM, so the original headstock bushings can be left in place.

ejschultz likes this.
  2. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    Anyone have any measurements on string height and relief? I’m having a hard time with mine after the fret level. I don’t know if my guy didn’t put as much into this one as he did my other basses he’s set up or if it’s out a little. I can get the action on my jazz bass down to about .040” at the 17th fret on all 4 strings. I’m lucky with this one if I can get it down to double that.

Edit:

I got it at .010” relief (using the EBMM method). With that I was able to get the string height to .086” on the E and A strings at the 12th fret and .081” on the D and G strings at the 12th fret. That’s lower than EBMM specs for the E and A and about equal to the D and G. The neck is slightly flatter than they recommend, but I don’t have much buzz on the lower end. Maybe I’m happy with it. I just gotta play it more.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  3. Bassic Needs

Bassic Needs

Jul 7, 2019
    Canada
    The Ray35PB arrived on Friday. I noodled around with it yesterday and was quite happy with my purchase. I'll post photos soon. :)

4. Bassic Needs

Bassic Needs

Jul 7, 2019
    Canada
    Here she is. :D

Attached Files:

5. That looks great, if I was to buy a new one that's the finish I would choose.
    That needs to be left on a stand in the Living Room.

Youngspanion and Bassic Needs like this.
  6. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    Thought I'd let you guys know this is still super cheap, and they have other SBMM models heavily discounted also. If you use their July promo code you can get a brand new Ray34 for $380, w free shipping and I think no tax still.

Sterling by Music Man RAY34-BK-R1 StingRay in Black

Basses

7. Bassic Needs

Bassic Needs

Jul 7, 2019
    Canada
    Can I get a number?

8. I grabbed one of these a while back. It's great and really a good deal at this price.

BeefPie84 and bassmike2010 like this.
  9. Herald Becker

Herald Becker

May 22, 2019
    Netherlands
    Ah man. I love that Burl... But no, my Natural is my way to go bass. :) If I'd get a second one though......

Bassic Needs likes this.
  10. Well, all this talk on how cool these basses are, I had to do it!
    I am going to play it at my gig this weekend! 20190811_145857.

11. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Nice one. Like the matte finish. Report back on the tone.
    I'm very impressed with my Ray35ca's tone. Strong
    output and aggressive Alnico pu. You'll love it.

pappabass likes this.
  12. I will ! I played a fender P for some time. The p sound is a single sound. Either big & muddy, or clean and not big. Wife would complain at my gig about it being a muddy sound. I switched to a active eq bass & had no issues. Traded the active bass which i was not crazy about in at GC & bought the SUB.

13. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Before it became a closet queen, I played my black '78 Maple neck precision, Aja, in several
    bands and loved the strong full P tone and the slight brightness the neck gave it. Thru a Blue
    Line SVT in college, Peavey Combo 300 on the road, and years back, a modular (massive)
    Ashley BP41/ Microtech1200 into dual Kappa 410's stack. It never lacked anything.
    Then I played a '76 blonde Maple neck Stingray in a GC and fell in love but didn't have the funds. First bass I ever played that "played itself" and led to the "76, '88 Rays, ray35ca and SR5HP I presently own. The other bass that played itself and had me playing runs that took my breath
    away, was a 70's Brown bass. Definitely din have the funds for that one but O M F'g G.

14. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    B10BA016-803B-4B7E-A810-8E8FE4953B50. FA9AC43B-A08D-4778-8DB3-27EEDCEEAB40.

Bit the bullet and bought the last 3 HB7s to finish my Hipshot install. I also managed to crack the headstock finish a little while attempting to change the G string tuner ferrule. Needless to say, the stock ferrules stayed in so I didn’t produce any further damage.

bassmike2010 likes this.
  15. Has anyone here had trouble with Ray34 3 band eq cutting through in Band mix? Any suggestions on using EQ or preferred EQ settings? If this has been discussed can you direct me to where.

16. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    Well guys, it was a cool summer with the Ray34. I ordered it on Memorial Day and it made it almost to Labor Day. I sold the bass yesterday, along with two of my Fenders to fund a different bass. I’ve always been a jazz bass guy and wasn’t 100% sold on the fat neck of the Ray34. A used 34CA probably would have been a better option for me. We’ll see if the future brings another my way.

Chrome Dome and Youngspanion like this.
  17. outoftune

outoftune Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Snagged this over the weekend and played a gig with it last night. I have been a P bass player pretty much exclusively lately and this just called out to me. Looks killer, That roasted maple though. And sounds great. Tossed on a set of my favorite strings too, Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats.
    ray344.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  18. Erik Asma

Erik Asma

Jul 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    IMG_20190919_144442. Hmm. Mine isn't on the list.
    Sterling Stingray classic Ray 24.

Which sits between the sub and the ray 34.
    Sets you back a bit over 600 euros in this bit of the woods. Has better woods and stuff then the sub and sounds fuller I figured from the comparisons.
    It isn't around for long yet I learned.
    Not sure if it counts as a proper Ray.

Anyway this puppy is my first step into stingray land.
    This one has the jazzneck which I love, I was ready for a telephone pole and found this sweet satin finished delight.
    Put a black pickguard on it as it just looks better on this finish instead of white.

Amazing bass. I thought my Ibanez could growl when you give it the spurs.
    Jeez. Nothing like this.
    You give it a little more umph and it bites hard already only to discover you got a world left over. Dig in harder and it roars. A loud note sounds like a hard slap on this.

Something else this.

Stil fiddling with it. Came with slinky's, liked those, now have sunbeams on it, like those too.
    Will try a few more strings to see which suit best.
    Test it in the band setting next week. Meanwhile I fight off my neighbors with their leafblowers with it.
    I'm louder.
    And much more fun.

Herald Becker likes this.
  19. Bassic Needs

Bassic Needs

Jul 7, 2019
    Canada
    I am finding the E and B string to be too sloppy compared to my Sire (4-string). Is the lower tension a commonality among SBMM basses and something I need to get used to or should I be looking at increasing the tension on those strings? I just had the bass set up so I am wondering if this is a SBMM trait or the guy who set it up didn't do a good job.

20. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    The same string construction and gauge at the same pitch and scale will have the same tension irrespective of what's written on the headstock. Differences in feel will be down to setup - lower action, lower nut slots and flatter relief will feel less stiff, at least to your left hand. Assuming the strings are the same on both, it's up to you to decide which setup parameters you prefer, or match the strings...

Bassic Needs likes this.