1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Sterling by Music Man Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaymonJ11, Feb 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Ray34ca

29 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Ray34

36 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Ray35

33 vote(s)
    28.2%
  4. SB14

19 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. Bassic Needs

Bassic Needs

Jul 7, 2019
    Canada
    When it was in getting the setup done, I had them put on DR Highbeams. I hear they are great strings.
    I have another set for the Sire that I haven't put on yet.

I'm glad to hear that it's not the nature of the that particular bass but instead is a combination of things I can tweak until I am happy. I really like the bass so it's good to know this can be remedied.

Thanks.

2. Bassic Needs

Bassic Needs

Jul 7, 2019
    Canada
    I guess I will spend a few bucks on it then to upgrade the jack input and the tuners.

I'm thinking Switchcraft and then some Hipshot tuners.

3. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Which SBMM model are we talking about?

4. Bassic Needs

Bassic Needs

Jul 7, 2019
    Canada
  5. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Cool, nice looker! IME, in terms of function/performance, the drop-in Hipshot HB7 tuners will not be an improvement over the Ray34/35 tuners. The HB1 with short key option will give you a more authentic EBMM look but the baseplate holes won't match so you'll need to drill new ones if you go that route. The HB1 baseplate will cover the old ones. You will need to leave the existing bushes in place as the HB1 bushes will be loose. Of course this means if you want to go chrome with chrome bushes then it's HB7 with long keys or you'll need to find a way to shim the HB1 bushes...

You can see how mine turned out here... The Official Sterling by Music Man Owners Club

As for the output socket, there is nothing sub-standard on the Ray35 so (my opinion based on 7 years trouble-free) I would leave well alone. YMMV.

6. Bassic Needs

Bassic Needs

Jul 7, 2019
    Canada
    Thanks for the heads up on the tuners

Mine has not been working properly since day 1. It cuts out all of the time when the cable moves even in the slightest. I just assumed that in a mass produced instrument, a few upgrades were necessary and because this was happening, I was planning to change it out. The guy who set up the bass said it wasn't very good and I took his word for it.

I'm starting to think I should've taken my bass to a different music store to get it set up and the jack looked at.

And sooner rather than later, I need to learn how to do everything myself.

Erik Asma likes this.
  7. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    If it's failing then of course it needs replacement. These are new models - surely it's still under warantee?

8. Bassic Needs

Bassic Needs

Jul 7, 2019
    Canada
    It should be I would think. I bought the bass online (GC from the US) and it was shipped to me (In Canada).
    I'm not sure if that complicates things or not. I'll have to look at who honors the warranty.

9. musicman556

musicman556

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    Howdy, guess I get to join this club now! I took delivery of a Ray35 QM last week. I was off put at first at some finish issues, but after playing it at church a couple times, I'm in love and will live with some sloppy finish work for what is a GREAT playing and sounding bass.

Here's my NBD post: NBD Ernie Ball Sterling Stringray SR35 QM review and pics

Attached Files:

10. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    On the output Jack. I'm sure you've tried this but might suggest a new cable. The shanks on instrument cables tend to wear out before a jack will. Cheaper than the other options. Just a thought

Erik Asma likes this.
  11. Bassic Needs

Bassic Needs

Jul 7, 2019
    Canada
    Thanks for the idea but it is a brand new cable. When I brought the bass in to get set up, it did the same thing with their cable as well. From what I understand I can probably replace it for about 10 bucks so it's not the end of the world....just a little damper on what appears to be a great bass.

Erik Asma likes this.
  12. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Just make sure it's not a loose battery connector - the effect on what you hear might be similar - intermittent crackles, pops, silence and good stuff.

musicman556 and Erik Asma like this.
  13. Erik Asma

Erik Asma

Jul 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    That wouldn't fly with fiddling with the cable and have it happen me thinks?

Best check your jack. Might be a bad soldering.
    Or just replace it straight away.
    10 minute job costs next to nothing.

Besides nothing bonds better then altering your bass yourself.

Bassic Needs likes this.
  14. SoldierOfPrayze

SoldierOfPrayze

Mar 19, 2011
    303776_2552741020989_701896460_n_2552741020989.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  15. Jari Kurri

Jari Kurri

Jul 24, 2000
    denver, co
    I just picked up a quote-unquote used Ray34ca fretless off Reverb. The plastic was still on the pickguard, so I assume this is NOS. This is my first fretless and I'm impressed with the quality so far. I was also eyeing this silver sparkle one from GC's used site, currently at $419. Seems like a good deal for what looks to be NOS. I opted for my seafoam green one instead.

Remoman likes this.
  16. JBuckley

JBuckley

Dec 18, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    This is a club I've been wanting to join and now I finally can! I picked this baby up on a recent trip to LA and had it shipped back to me, but it arrived damaged. The replacement showed up yesterday and I am already in love. It's my first 5 string, and my first active bass.

20191104_182634. 20191104_202703. 20191104_202716.

17. 15729772298694165970126729249020. This should get me into the club. Ray25ca. Also trying to join this century's tech advances by submitting a pic.

Remoman likes this.
  18. Where did you buy the pearl pick guardian?

19. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I'll let them answer your specific question, BUT a standard EBMM pickguard fits IF you don't mind doing some modifications by the neck pocket. I purchased this pickguard for $10 on Amazon and modified it to fit. I did a very crude job.

IMG_20180526_190039.

20. Looks okay, would not notice any flaws from a distance. You know so you see any flaws. All I see is maybe a Around the truss rod adjuster. Thanks