1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Sterling by Music Man Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaymonJ11, Feb 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Ray34ca

29 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Ray34

36 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Ray35

33 vote(s)
    28.2%
  4. SB14

19 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. CBRXJ

CBRXJ

Jul 31, 2010
    Apple Valley Ca.
    IMG_3944.jpg The brown truck brought me this the other day.....does anyone know it they have replacement nuts available? I don't think i can live with this crooked nut ... the neck feels real nice. I would hate to send this back and get one not so nice.

Erik Asma likes this.
  2. tiny warlock

tiny warlock

Oct 14, 2019
    NOLA
    My parents got me this in 2011 to replace the $40 salvage store bass I got when I first started playing. Does anybody know how these compare to the newer ray34s?

Also, it was at a friend's house when their kitchen caught on fire and the fretboard got a little dark and gunky. Any tips for cleaning smoke residue off of it?
    IMG_20191108_110852.jpg

alaskaleftybass and Yetiparty like this.
  3. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    That's an SB14. Those are sweet. They compare very similarly to the ray34 with a selector switch like found in the Ray 35

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  4. Tim Poteet

Tim Poteet

Dec 24, 2018
    Even with flatwounds the 95 Ray sounds brighter because of the maple neck I’m guessing. Our guitar player commented that he couldn’t take his eyes off the Sterling the first night I played it.

alaskaleftybass and Erik Asma like this.
  5. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    What’s wrong with the nut, exactly? A pic would help.

Youngspanion likes this.
  6. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Hey everyone, I wanted to announce that I just received my new Sterling SubRay 4 lefty bass. Black lefty with beautiful maple neck! It took me all of 15 minutes to set up the neck and bridge the way I liked. The intonation was fine.

The bass has a beautiful black finish with black 3 tone pickguard. I love the looks of the bass and the tone is to die for! As it's late I will post pictures tomorrow then ask for a number. I am also chasing after a lefty Sterling in sunburst lefty.

I have a question for you old timer Sterling owners. I've noticed that some of the older models have four knobs compared to 3. Is that for volume/treble/mid/bass? If that's the case I wish they would have done that with the newer Sterlings. Besides that minor thing, the Sterlings are an outstanding buy! :thumbsup:

7. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    How is it crooked? I string my lefty Sterling right handed. I intially bashed around the nut trying to break it loose, but it wouldn't budge. Then I tried my string nut files and was able to shape the slots to right handed very carefully. I noticed that the nut is very soft so you might be able to carefully tap the nut back into the shape you like. Otherwise the nut is shaped like a curve. That isn't crooked, it's the design. Good luck! :thumbsup:

8. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    It depends on the model - different models have different preamps, and it’s not a question of older vs. newer as such. The SUB Ray4/5 and Ray24/25CA have a two-band preamp, so the controls are bass and treble only. The Ray34/35 has a 3-band preamp, and therefore has a mids control as well.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  9. Chrishi87

Chrishi87

Aug 17, 2010
    Bremen
    Where do you get this bass from?
    I´ve never seen a black one without the matching headstock.

10. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Current versions come with a roasted maple neck and no matching headstock.

11. Can someone tell me how I become a member of the Sterling by Music Man club?

12. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I believe you post a picture of your Sterling and request a number. :)

Kevin Lynch likes this.
  13. Chrishi87

Chrishi87

Aug 17, 2010
    Bremen
    Thx for the Information.
    As I was blocked by Sterling by Musicman on all Social Media pages I was not aware of the new H Rays.

14. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    The current models are to be found on sterlingbymusicman.com as well.

Chrishi87 likes this.
  15. Chrishi87

Chrishi87

Aug 17, 2010
    Bremen
    I see that you are from norway and looked at the prices on ubuy norway. I am again very disappointed by the company... a Ray34 is 2000 NOK cheaper than in my country. Thats almost 200 € or 220$

There is no way I will get a MusicMan or SbMM as long as I live in Europe :(

16. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Ebay prices are usually not very indicative of real prices. List prices are the other way around. Thomann in Germany sells the Ray34 for €899, and Gitarhuset, one of Norway’s largest music stores, has the Ray34 listed at NOK 10695, which is about €1083. I don’t think SBMM is to be blamed for the price difference, whatever it is. My experience is that recommended retail prices are usually more or less the same anywhere you go, and individual differences are usually down to exchange rates and individual store policy.

17. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Several stunning new models of SBMM at NAMM. Just saw a short scale in light blue and one in white.

Fixed the link...

Hammerfield and alaskaleftybass like this.
  18. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    As promised, here's kind of a decent picture of my new Sterling by Music Man. I got it set up the night before and it plays like butter. The tone is to die for. I really love the bass already. I want one more. Wish they came in other colors and short scale for lefty's!

sterling-will.jpg

P.S. May I now have a number? :D

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Kevin Lynch and bassmike2010 like this.
  19. Chrishi87

Chrishi87

Aug 17, 2010
    Bremen
    ubuy... not ebay :D
    The new ray 34 is indeed at 899€ the other ones at 1.099
    If you take the Stealth HH - USA Price converted - 763 € at Thomann 1.159 € even with taxes. That is too much.
    A few years ago, you could say Take the $ Price, change the sign to € and add with 1000.

Thank god for the second hand marked. In 2020 the only Bass on my wishlist is a Stingray. With patience I can get a used one for 950 € An it´s worth it. I owned 6 EBMMs and miss them all.