1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

the OFFICIAL STINGRAY THREAD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rob_the_bassist, May 12, 2006.

1. its the offical stingray thread! post pictures/discuss this mighty beast

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I miss my old one if that counts.

3. Here are 2x links to some photos of my ray that I have up in another thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=34445&d=1147335870

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=34446&d=1147335870

Its a Trans Teal Green Stingray 4, maple neck, 3 band EQ. Its a 2004.
    I love my Ray!! The sound is great (sorry I have no sound clips) and despite what people say it can be quite versatile. Deep down though she is a funk monster who loves a good slapping!! Took me a while to find 'my' sound, but it was in there...I just had to look for it. The way EBMM finish their necks is perfect for me.. If you have never felt one then go grab one by the neck!! :bassist:

4. I've got a 2004 Black Cherry Burst SR4 with 3 band EQ. I love it. The tone is versatile enough for the music I play, which can range from rock to punk to funk to "love-songs-and-dedications". The thing I love most about it is being able to plug it in and know that it will sound great everytime, with minimal EQing. The EQ is pretty powerful and the output is also super hot - which I like. I find the neck is prefect for me. It's slightly thicker than a jazz bass and very comfortable.

[​IMG]

5. Are those flats?

6. Dude!! That is one hot Stingray!! I like :hyper:
    Do you play that it?? How do you keep it so clean? There is not a finger print or speck of dust on that thing... I could do with some cleaning tips for my Ray if you have any. I just wipe it with a cloth now and then but it doesn't come up with frets shining like that etc...

7. Nope, roundwound. DR fatbeams to be exact. They are great strings - really suit the stingray.

8. Thanks mate! It's my only bass, so I certainly play it. I wipe all the fingerprints off after every gig with the EBMM cloth that came with it. I'm pretty anal about having fingerprints on the finish lol. Every 8 to 12 months I clean the fretboard with lemon oil, and maybe every 12 months I will tape the fretboard with masking tape, covering all the wood and leaving only the frets exposed, and very gently sand the frets with some 0000 steel wool. I also make sure the pickups, bridge and knobs are covered with a towel before sanding so that the steel wool particles don't stick to them. I took that photo a couple days after I did a complete clean of the stingray - I also made sure that you couldn't see the 2 massive chips in the finish (thanks to a guitarist!) along the top edge of the bass.

9. If your anal about the fingerprints you must have been pretty devastated when your guitarist put chips in the finish!! Spewing...
    Cheers for the cleaning ideas. Im pretty lazy with mine, but i might give her a makeover.
    Bet Canberra is cold at the moment!! Im in Byron Bay :D

10. Surprisingly, at the time, I was pretty cool about the chips. Afterwards I was a bit disappointed. But the more I see them, the more I like them. They help make the bass mine.

Byron bay? You lucky man. It's starting to get cold here.... very cold. We had -2 the other night :(

11. Franklin229

Franklin229

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Here's my "stingray"-early Cutlass 1, CFiber neck by modulus. Pre-EB. All original. Sounds awesome.

Attached Files:

12. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    vics003.

1fc19ffd.

here's mine :) '80. sounds great too. :) i love this thing! more than any of my others. :) has served me very well and has never let me down and has worked well for me in every genre i've played. :cool:

13. I loves me some StingRays.

In the following order:
    Black Sparkle
    Envy Green Limited Edition
    Medallion Gold
    Sapphire Black
    Silver Sparkle

Enjoy.

blacksparkleRay004.

blacksparkleRay005.

EnvyGreenRay001.

EnvyGreenRay003.

travis-sr-body.

DSC01169.

DSC01223.

DSC01172.

silversparklestingray002.

silversparklestingray003.

14. :eek: ... wow.... Am I correct in saying that you own FIVE stingrays, all with 4 strings, all fretted, and all with 3 band EQ?

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I finally found one with my dream color/fingerboard/headstock combo, and it should be here in the next week or two. I may change the pickup cover to white-not sure yet:

Attached Files:

16. No, I actually dont currently own those, but I have owned those and about 20 others. Heres my main bass right now:

sr5wpearloid003.

17. You know Bryan a LARGE number of people HATE that trans green finish.

Im with you, I LOVE that one. Just gets me every time I see it.

Congrats on the score. Matching headstock too, very nice.

18. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    That silver sparkle would be great for a disco gig!

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's absolutely my favorite EB color, and it with a matching headstock is really hard to find. I'M COMIN' TO GET YOU, HEIINZ!!

20. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.