1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The "Official" Talkbass Rachel Bolan Fan Club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dean owens, Mar 17, 2009.

1. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    Created by popular demand (ok, there's like three of us), the official TB Rachel Bolan fan club. He's the great bassist for Skid Row and responsible for at least two TBer's love for Spectors (specifically the white variety).

For those not familiar with Rachel or his work, here is his wiki page. What he looked like in the early 90's.
    RachelBolan.
    And a more recent photo.
    DPP_7708.
    As you can see, he lost the hair and the nose-ring/chain. But he's still rockin' the Spector. :bassist:

This is the video that started it all for me. That tone, that bass, and that fill just before Sebastian starts singing... I knew I wanted to play bass after that.

So, I'll take number one. Anyone else want in? ;)

2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I'm requesting a number with this video.

and this.

3. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Ok Ok....Im in! Im a sucker for Rachel and his Monkey Business! LOL Can we have a "sub" category for Eddie Jackson, Mike Inez/Starr, and shame to admit it..Kip? Hehehehehe..oh, Pat Badger too!

4. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    hootie hoo! looks like there's three of us. the best, most exclusive club on TB. :bassist: ;)

Spector_Ray - you my friend are #2
    Thundar - that would make you lucky #3

as far as expanding... let's not water down our purpose just yet. we need to stay focused and strong in our resolve. :D

how cool would it be if rachel came on to become a member of the fan club.

5. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

I, for one, would become very moist:p

6. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Dean, you da man!

7. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    FINE! I'll go start my own club just for Chuck Rainey! With blackjack and hookers! In fact, forget the club! :spit:

:bag:

8. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    I'll like to join too....

9. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    now if i could just get my wife to agree. :D j/k...

so is that your passive agressive way of asking for a number?

looks like you're lucky number 4.

10. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    Dean, I want in!! May I get a number.
    Make sure that with all these sub-fan clubs, that Tim Gaines gets one as well. :)

11. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    I went to my first concert (Rush, signals tour ) with Jim (as he was known) and my neighbor Marc, and his older bro Ace. Jim and "ACE" Abram were in a band at the time called Second Child. Big Rock! They were good too ! I remember them doing Sin City and Jim ( Rachel ) had his big bass break. Nice.

12. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    hmmm, joe... let me check the books and make sure i have the number right. yep, i got it. you're number 5.

dang. that's pretty cool. do you by any chance keep up with him today? any cool stories?

13. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    Sweet, Thanks Dean-O!!

14. I was a huge Skid Row, and specifically Rachel Bolan fan in the 80s-90s. He had some sweet basslines going!!! He's the reason I got my first of 4 Spectors (the first one being white of course). The classic Spector sound won me over after the first one, but if it weren't for Rachel, who knows?

15. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    Another fan of Rachel & his skullcrushing Spector sound, don´t need a number hehe.

16. rfw1994

rfw1994

Apr 19, 2010
    He's one of my influences!!! I'd like to join :D am i number 6 then?

17. I'm 57 and a bit out of your loop. Can you recommend a video or two that shows him doing some of his more interesting work? I'd like to see what your excited about. :)

18. rfw1994

rfw1994

Apr 19, 2010
    I like this very good with rachel on the vocals:

19. Nice voice...he has a great instrument.

I listened to several tunes and I want to know what to listen for in the bass. Is it choice of notes, innovation, color/paint job of the bass, sound, technique? What is it that makes him stand out to you?? (I understand he wrote a lot of the band's material...great.)

20. rfw1994

rfw1994

Apr 19, 2010
    It's mostly the appearance: His looks and his basses (ibanez, or the precision bass with the decals). I think he has a gift for making the bass line fit perfectly within the rest of the music. In my opinion its hard to specifically listen to the bass-line.