The Official U.S. Peavey Cirrus Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soundchaser11460, Oct 5, 2007.

Tags:
  1. RealJeffJenkins

RealJeffJenkins

Feb 11, 2013
    The 6 is apparently gonna be delivered on Sunday.

AudioTaper and mb94952 like this.
  2. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

3. RealJeffJenkins

RealJeffJenkins

Feb 11, 2013
    Does anyone know if the Custom Shop Cirrus with Millenium preamps have an internal output trim? Or if the pickups have an internal trim, per pickup? The Volume Difference between this bass and my GV seems to be a lot. Also, if I’m reading the manual correct, the 5 strings have a 15” radius and the 6 strings have a 17” radius? Is that correct?

4. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Not sure about the radius, but there are no trim adjustments for the pickups or either preamp (Stock Cirrus and Millennium with the mid sweep - yours probably has the Millennium)

Potomuss likes this.
  5. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
  6. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

7. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have one like it and love the tone. It has this woody growl that just sounds wonderful. The price on this one is good and condition looks good too. There is some finger gunk on the fingerboard and I have had zero luck cleaning that sort of stuff off Pau Ferro or Rosewood fingerboards. It also does not have a hard case but I have a spare case if someone needs one.

8. jdcraignh

jdcraignh

Nov 2, 2018
    If anyone is looking for something different, there is a bolt on 4 on Reverb currently. Looks like a walnut body with a wenge board. Price seems a bit high to me, but I know there are some bolt on fans here and they don't come up all that often.

Peavey Cirrus 2005 | Taft's Gear Garage | Reverb

Not affiliated.

9. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

Haha a bit high ?? I'd be embarrassed to disclose what I paid for mine, which I'm NEVER selling, BTW.

10. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I'd like to find a 5 string. That price is stupid high for that 4.

mb94952 likes this.
  11. Have seen some have luck with 0000 steel wool and re-finishing with tung oil. I would be hesitant to use that on the 12th fret area with the Cirrus inlay, but that's not where the most egregious gunk has built up so could be worth a shot

12. IronSpatula

IronSpatula Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Northern CA
    +1. I use 0000 steel wool as well and it cuts through about any gunk in my experience. Use a fairly light touch and it won’t do more than polish the wood.

To condition afterward, I just use plain old butcher block oil and it works great.

For the area around the inlay, I’d wrap a small piece of 0000 around the eraser end of a pencil for more precise work.

AudioTaper likes this.
  13. Glad to hear my impression was on the right track! It appears the bass has been sold, buyer got a great deal.

14. Abass76

Abass76 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Can someone help me figure when this Cirrus was made? Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

15. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

that's one of the Indonesian re-issues that came out about 4 years ago... That "plate" on the back of the headstock is the give-away. Anyone else got a better timeline?

mb94952 likes this.
  16. daddymactx

daddymactx Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Wyn Basses, Curt Mangan Strings, Fireye,
    My prior post from July 2020..
    "Call Peavey at 800.752.7896. Chris in support is a bass player with a wealth of Peavey info and an excellent cat to talk to. I just dated a couple of my Cirrus' and he can tell you whats what. He was able to tell me the exact day one of my basses was made and did mention that any with the white embossed lettering on the headstock back are definitely USA."

17. Abass76

Abass76 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Thanks everyone!!! Last question I may at some want to exchange the preamp for a more flexible one with sweepable mids, active passive. Any recommendations?? Oh definitely want to keep the stock pickups.

18. He is indeed though Chris has moved. Wears 3 hats these days, Service manager for Composite, Crest and Trace Elliot International.

daddymactx likes this.
  19. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    The active/passive wont work on these as the pickup themselves is active. It contains an active buffer, you will see a red wire from the +V pad on the preamp running to the pickup. The black wire is the shielded signal wire. (Shield to ground)

You can drop in a Millennium preamp, theres only a few connections and you have to reem out the mounting hole for the mids.

Not sure what other aftermarket preamps have sweepable mids, but make sure if you get one it can run on 18V

20. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    I've always used 0000 steel wool, even over the inlay. No issues, and I tape up the finish and around the pickup to keep the shavings out. I like Bor-oil for clarinets, but mineral oil will do the trick.

I just dressed the frets on my non-Peavey (cough-Jazz Bass- cough) I always use high grit Micromesh on the ends after filing and rounding (and scrubbing the fret surface and wood with steel wool). But I took the extra step to tape off each fret and lightly buff it with the 12K grit. They are so shiny and smooth! Just go easy so you dont take off too much metal.
    Before
    20210507_121641.jpg

After
    20210507_121706.jpg

It's a Mexican made model, but the fretwork on the USA Cirrus is leaps and bounds better.

IronSpatula likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021