The Official U.S. Peavey Cirrus Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soundchaser11460, Oct 5, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Abass76

Abass76 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Thanks!!!! Now if only I could find a millennium pre

AudioTaper and mb94952 like this.
  2. What AT is telling you is you can't have active/passive, doesn't matter what preamp you use.

However the active VFLs with a passive tone loom is still possible. Peavey did this on a few models but the RSB covers this situation. You'd need to retain 1 battery clip to power the pickups and the stereo jack socket, all you do is hook the hot/ground pickup wires like a normal passive bass.

A preamp pedal would take care of your "active" needs :thumbsup:

3. Yeah they're hard to come by these days, used to be that you could call Peavey direct and they would sell you one. I tried calling them about a month ago and no dice, they don't carry the millennium preamp (or the Cirrus, for that matter) anymore.

mb94952 likes this.
  4. Abass76

Sep 27, 2013
    I had one years ago and and put a Mike Pope Flexcore in it and I sold it ‍♂️

5. Abass76

Sep 27, 2013
    Also I would change out the battery cover for an easy access one. Have anyone done that?

6. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

Oh that's a great idea !!! I thought about a magnetic one and even ordered some but they were WAY too small, and never pursued it again. I think you rekindled my interest.

7. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    The pickups still run on 18V. I haven't tried to run them on 9V, as I dont want to risk frying anything. Probably wouldnt happen, but I'll let someone else risk it.

8. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    I'm planning on making an adaptor to use a Gotoh BB-04W on my FrankenCirrus

9. Peavey already risked it.

I need to take better photo but there's my RSB.
    RSB-bass.gif

Comes with 2 VFLs, passive Vol,Blend,Tone and a single 9v battery clip.

Battery red is joined with the VFL reds and the black runs to jack socket. VFL hot/ground are soldered to Blend.

mb94952 and AudioTaper like this.
  10. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Get an EMG BQS preamp...has sweepable mids, and runs on either 9 or 18v (Cirrus pickups should always run at 18). People who've put the EMG circuits in their Cirruses say that they sound better than the Millennium pre.

11. Abass76

Sep 27, 2013
    Ok thanks!!! I’ve looked into those but the ones I’ve checked said for use with Emg pickups only. Could you possibly send me the info on which particular one?

12. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    Awesome! Hartley is always one step ahead.

mb94952 likes this.
  13. So far behind the curve it's not worth thinking about.

The idea was already at least 10 years old before Peavey used it on the Foundation-S (active).

14. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

Just call EMG and let them help you. I would think that it would be the BQS Control, as it states "The BQS Control will also work with active or passive pickups. 2 extra volume knobs are included."
    BQS Control

15. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    mb94952 likes this.
  16. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

I have always liked EMG products, but I've never used their preamps in a Cirrus because I wasn't sure if they were proprietary and you have to use EMG pickups, as well.

I have on, many occasions, used Bartolini NTMB preamps in my Cirrus and they are nearly identical to the
    Cirrus / Millennium preamp in tone and function.

You can even get the mid toggle version on the NTMB, or go Mike Pope and go all the way. I wasn't too happy with the Mike Pope for tone to cost ratio. Then again, that was years ago, so maybe my ear has changed since then. Point being, there are options. I believe IIRC, you can even use the ACG filter preamp to get the Alembic / Wal bass vibe.

17. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    You can definitely use it with active VFLs. I forget who, but at least one person on a Peavey FB group did it with good results.

AudioTaper likes this.
  18. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    BQS System

Abass76 and mb94952 like this.
  19. Abass76

Sep 27, 2013
    Thanks so much for this info!!

mb94952 and songwriter21 like this.
  20. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    My comment was partially tongue in cheek, but somewhat serious in the sense that (like any other smart manufacturer) one part would be able to be used across a range of products.

Peavey was pretty good with this. F€ender... not so much.

mb94952 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021