The Official U.S. Peavey Cirrus Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soundchaser11460, Oct 5, 2007.

Tags:
  1. @AudioTaper

"one size fits all" and it's partner "waste not, want not" were Peavey mantras, kept them lean and mean :thumbsup:

AudioTaper likes this.
  2. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Watched a 2+ hour interview last night with Rudy Sarzo. Seems that he, his first sig bass, and Aria's SB basses, were the inspirations for the Cirrus...pretty cool.

BrentSimons and AudioTaper like this.
  3. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Is it the one I shared over on the US Peavey page? I havent gotten a chance to listen to it.

The Aria Cliff Burton signature Black and Gold SB model is on my list of 'dream basses'. I should have jumped on one when they came out as the price of a used one is about 2x what they were new.

4. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    The Cliff bass is cool. He was my inspiration for playing when I was 17. The Rudy interview has that Rodney guy, so not sure....

5. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    He was my inspiration also, I was 14 and my parents bought me a few months of lessons. The instructor told me to bring in something I liked, so I brought in Anesthesia. He looked at me and said 'let's start off with something easier... heres some Green Day' HA!

Heres the interview I shared on the Peavey page. Not sure hoe much Peavey talk there is, I'll have time to listen to it later this week.
    I did some repair work for Freekbass when I worked at the repair shop. I'm been thinking about taking some lessons from him when things are 'back to normal', even though it's a bit of a drive.

Do you have a link to the interview you were talking about?

6. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    He literally covers everything he's used.

7. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

Thanks for posting, 21 !! Rudy Sarzo is the man. He was my biggest influence starting out. I always tell new bass players who ask, "How can I be a better bass player ? Answer - Learn Speak of the Devil, Ozzy's Black Sabbath live album." If you can play even half of that stuff, you are well on your way to becoming a good, solid rock player.

Thundar, AudioTaper and songwriter21 like this.
  8. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    Noted. I'm lacking on my Ozzy knowledge.

mb94952 likes this.
  9. Abass76

Abass76 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2013
    I have some lemon oil is that ok to use on Ebony fretboards?

10. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    If it's for guitars (brands like Dunlop, Stew Mac...) its OK to use on Ebony and rosewood. Not maple. Not sure about Pau Ferro. I have personally would use Bor-oil or mineral oil.

If it's an essential oil or cooking oil, no.

11. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    You don't need to oil your boards...it all just looks pretty for a bit, then evaporates. As long as the wood was seasoned enough, and you keep it in enough humidity, or just in it's case/bag when not played, you're fine.

12. jdcraignh

jdcraignh

Nov 2, 2018
    There are a TON of threads discussing oil here on TalkBass and elsewhere. Having done the homework myself, I use standard mineral oil that you can buy at WalMart for $2. It's in the pharmacy section. It has other uses too.

singlemalt, Abass76 and mb94952 like this.
  13. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    What's sold as "Lemon Oil" in most stores for furniture treatment is nothing like pure lemon oil. It has a long list of ingredients including mineral spirits, mineral oil, silicones, etc. The lemony bit is just a fragrance mixture which is comprised of both natural and synthetic compounds. You can, of course, get pure lemon oil but it's not of much use for treating wood—really nice in bath water, though.

AudioTaper likes this.
  14. mb94952

Here are some short videos. I oil my fretboard 2-3 times a year, when I change my strings. Just so happens that that is the general consensus, to I'm glad I've been doing it correctly. None of my Cirrus, or other basses for that matter, have dried out, unconditioned fretboards.

15. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Mineral oil fixes most things.

Saved me a ton of money on vet bills. Great for getting things to go through Labs. Socks, panties, whatever....

16. jdcraignh

jdcraignh

Nov 2, 2018
    Good to know! I am also suddenly remembering why I have cats ;)

Bill Whitehurst and AudioTaper like this.
  17. Vic Firth

Vic Firth

Sep 3, 2016
    SB-ELT (1987/1989) after renamed SB-RSZ due to Rudy Sarzo endorsment page1.jpg SB-RSZ or ELT brochure.jpg

Attached Files:

18. jdcraignh

jdcraignh

Nov 2, 2018
    Congrats to whoever just ended up with those Claro Walnut 5's on eBay. I suspect those are going to make a couple of people very happy.

AudioTaper and mb94952 like this.
  19. mb94952

This interview is SO good. It's 2 Hours long, so I've been watching it in segments. One thing I never really thought about when it comes to import basses is the wood's aging. I'm happy and not surprised that Peavey used high quality, aged wood for their instruments. Aged about 10 years, which is correct. My tech, who is a former Alembic employee, said it takes about 10 years for a bass to forget it used to be a tree.

I was surprised when Rudy was talking about import basses at NAMM shows that actually started feeling sticky because they wood was still wet and sap was coming out of it's pours, still !! Also, how he's pick up a maple bass that should feel like a certain weight and it was feather light. He was saying that some of these overseas companies don't have the same natural resources we do, so they use young, inferior wood and compensate with active electronics. I never knew the extent of that, so it's an eye opener to me.

The interviewer was also saying what we've known all along that the Cirrus word has gotten out and as we see, the used market for USA Peavey basses is going through the roof. It's so hard to imagine that the wholesale production price of a new Cirrus back in the day was around $450 bucks, so they doubled that to the suppliers, and they added 50%, making the selling price $1450 or so for a new Cirrus. A VERY GOOD price for a top shelf bass.
    My friend Rich Lasner, the designer of the Cirrus, Modulus Flea, Steve Vai Ibanez, amongst many others, too said Hartley wanted to name it something else (I forgot the name but it's in the thread somewhere) and Hartley was not confident bass players would spend over $1000 for a Peavey bass, ever. Good thing Hartley lost that argument !!!!

Scarysharkface and songwriter21 like this.
  20. mb94952

Those both sold for around $1,200 each !!! NOS, too. What a HECK of a bargain !!!!!
    I SURE hope it was a Talkbass family member, like you said, JD !!!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021