1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Official Warwick Club (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. FerK

FerK

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    Fellow Warwick brethren: I have a question for those deeper in the know. I'm about to buy a used neck-through Corvette $$ 5-string in Burgundy Red Stain, made in Germany in 2010 (will try it out tomorrow, before the transaction takes place). The owner says he paid around €3600 for it (about US$ 4000) when he got it, back in 2016 (seems it may have been in the shop for a few years), and says it's in absolute pristine condition.

Judging by the pics, it looks like a GPS/Teambuild (looks 100% serial production, no wenge tuner paddles, no exotic wood). I guess it's still plausible that it IS a Custom Shop/Masterbuild. Since the price difference is so big, and he could simply have overpaid (had it been a regular GPS/Teambuild), what should I look out for, to be able to tell? Is there ANY other giveaway? Maybe GPS were not available in certain colors or finishes? Perhaps that it's neck-through, that possibly it wasn't available in GPS/Teambuilds?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  2. Northfear

Northfear

Mar 15, 2017
    You got it right. Neck-through isn't available in GPS/Teambuilds. And in 2010 there were no GPS. Also serial number of GPS starts with GPS (and it's pretty much written on the headstock whether it's Teambuild or not).
    It's also possible to get more detailed info about the bass with it's serial number here:
    en/Warwick---Support--Serial-Number.html

bass10bfb and Reedt2000 like this.
  3. FerK

FerK

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    Yeap, did that. But it didn't tell me much, other than it was made in December 2010. It also gave me what seems to be the contradicting color/finish info; the seller says the bass is NT Swamp Ash Burgundy Red Stain Highpolish, and the S/N tool says it's:
    • CO Corvette $$, 5-string
    • Nirvana Black Stain Highpolish finish
    • Swamp Ash / Col. Flam. Maple AAA body
    • Ovangkol neck
    • Black hardware
    I guess I should have read the last 2 bullet points better, in particular the Ovangkol neck one, as I believe the GPS would have been maple. Is that right?

4. bassbooty

bassbooty -Rey Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Utah
    GPS didn’t begin until 2013, when the Masterbuilt series was also introduced. Wenge tuning keys were also introduced on the Masterbuilt series in 2013 and would not be stock on a 2010 model. As such, the 2010 NT $$ The seller is describing sounds like it would be a full-on German Warwick (before Masterbuilt OR German Pro Series). Pictured below are a couple of natural Corvette $$ NT 5-string basses with Bubinga and Swamp Ash bodies made before 2013.

80CCE52C-8931-4905-A759-DCB50F29A20D.

5. bassbooty

bassbooty -Rey Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Utah
    Warwick does not make a standard GPS Corvette $$ in a neck-through version. The GPS Corvettes have bolt-on Ovangkol necks.

The German Corvette $$ NT neck-thru version basses typically have Maple necks like the ones pictured in my post above. :)

6. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    Hello all!

As of last week, I'm now the proud owner of a new to me 2000 Thumb BO 5 String! I just finally had time to take some pictures. I've been wanting one of these for a long time now, and the opportunity finally presented itself when funds were available...plus it happened to be right around my birthday.

According to the website, this one is an Ovangkol body, and Wenge neck. Overall, it's in great shape for being 18 years old. It does not disappoint when it comes to that unmistakable thumb sound either. I'm looking forward to cleaning her up a little, slapping on a new set of strings, and tweaking the action just a bit to my liking.

The only problem, is now I really want a matching fretless one...

20180628_130701. 20180628_130732. 20180628_130804.

krkozbassman, Helix, Mikey F and 8 others like this.
  7. Harold Runyan

Harold Runyan

Apr 27, 2015
    Very nice!!!

mmon77 likes this.
  8. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago

Nov 23, 2015
    oxddl6uaabv01. Can I join your club?

Helix, Reedt2000, bass10bfb and 2 others like this.
  9. Volney

Volney Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Love my 2003 Thumb NT (All maple)
    Saphire Thumb.

10. Stewart13

Stewart13 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Bend, Oregon
    Wow! Amazing, usually never see stained maple thumbs.

Barticus and bass10bfb like this.
  11. Mikey F

Mikey F

Aug 12, 2014
    Denver, CO
    You’re back in already?? I have an FNA too, they are super badass.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  12. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I've got the fna jazzman, love the bridge bucker.
    20180212_223727.

Barticus, Bass Man Dan, Helix and 3 others like this.
  13. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago

Nov 23, 2015
    I never left, just forgot to post still on the EB train too.

Mikey F likes this.
  14. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Anyone here buy this 2004 SS1 off eBay today?
    Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 7.43.52 PM.

15. Jason Harris

Jason Harris

Jan 17, 2017
    That's a rly dark maple fingerboard ;)

Barticus likes this.
  16. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    Is the neck on the corvette and streamer the same?

17. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Depends on the model, sometimes yes but many times no.

18. Volney

Volney Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Minneapolis
    (Cough)... Ebony board.
    Blue back.

19. Agreed!

Barticus likes this.
  20. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Thinking seriously about a Star Bass. Currently have a Spector Euro5LX which I love but it's seems to be getting heavier as I keep getting older. :mad: I've always loved the hollow/semi hollow body basses but there doesn't seem to be very many choices when it comes to a hollow/semi hollow 5 string bass. I've seen all the Youtube Andy Irvine videos and it all sounds good and look good. But to be honest if it had block inlays on the neck the Star Bass would be absolutely 100% perfect. Sorry for the long post but tell me about your 5 string Star Bass. Whether it's a Rock Bass or top of the line, What ever that may be these days.

Thanks