1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Official Warwick Club (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    Could i put my Streamer STD neck on a corvette standard?

2. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    As long as everything is german and made in the CNC era I'd think it'd be fine.
    I'd still caliper the pocket.

3. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 2.12.15 PM.

4. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    That’s beautiful, was it a custom build? I had gotten away from Thumbs for a number of years because of the weight but once I found my maple LTD I’m back in full time. Love the maple Thumbs!

5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Anybody?

6. Barticus

Barticus Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2017
    NEOhio
    I don’t own one, but I played a couple of the 4s at the Warwick store in Nashville last summer (didn’t have a 5 string in stock). I didn’t have a strap on it so I can’t tell you how well balanced it was but overall it was a really nice bass and sounded great. I was more interested in how it sounded versus the weight/balance so can’t really talk to that aspect at this point. If you’re looking for a five string, this may be your only option in a semi hollow configuration - not sure anyone else makes one. I’m probably biased towards the Warwick since I own 4 others. :)

I’ve also played the Guild StarFire II semi-hollow 4-string which was also a nice playing and sounding instrument.

And the third one that I’ve looked at is the Reverend Dub Series 4-string which I saw/played at a local gearfest a couple months back. They’ve got some pretty cool designs and their semi hollow is interesting looking as well with decent pick ups.

7. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Thanks for the info. You're right in that there isn't much choice in hollow/semi hollow 5 strings. There is that Ibanez that looks like it's been dragged through a barn. No thanks. And a short scale Eastwood which looks cool but I can't see a 30 inch scale bass having a killer B string. And I can't seem to find any YooToob reviews or sound files of the 5 string Eastwood. If the Lakland HB came in a 5 string I'd be all over that but nope. BTW there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of stock locally or even in online stores like musicians friend or Sweetwater. Is Warwick just not a big player here in the US? Thanks again for the info.
    Anybody else?

8. martisanma

martisanma

Jul 5, 2011
    Cadiz, Spain
    Hello!
    I just got a new (one of these old stocks some shops bought several months ago) Rockbass branded bass. Terrific unit (picked even compared with many German ones).
    I'm quite loving the bass but the electronics and controls are pretty poor. I'm already having pots not sounding in some positions, tightening jack port every now and then and so on.
    So, I'm already thinking about upgrading electronics (even if I've to drill to put switches and so on). What would you consider to upgrade the Corvette Basic Active 5 ( it is always active, and i'd prefer active/passive). Do you think a 2 piece bridge would make any difference? For those who think it's not worth… Maybe you'll be right but the instrument resonates incredibly already and the 5th string is tight as hell. It ate some German W's.
    I'd like to keep the W vibe and maybe gain some extra clarity and definition.
    Thanks a lot!!

Reedt2000 likes this.
  9. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    There are tons of options out there for pickups and preamps. If you want it dark and growly maybe a set of "original bass" bartolinis & the preamp of you choice. I don't think a 2-piece bridge is worth the trouble you'd go through to install it. Probably cheaper to by a bass that has one already.

somebrains and martisanma like this.
  10. Northfear

Northfear

Mar 15, 2017
    I believe you can get a pair of active golden MEC's for something like $99 on Aliexpress right now (I've seen 4 string set, but there's probably some for 5 stringers too). You won't have "passive" option with them, but they will sound way better than "dynamic correction" ones.
    2 piece bridge is definitely not worth the trouble if you got a single piece right now. If you really want to change it, you can check Hipshot bridges for example (I've installed brass one on my old RB) or any other that doesn't require routing.
    But once again these 2 upgrades will cost you $200-$300 already. So I'm not sure if it's really worth it, since it's possible to find second handed Korean Pro Series Corvettes for 400-500 EUR in Europe.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  11. Matt78

Matt78

Sep 21, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    BE WARNED! I AM THAT NINJA!!!
    I've got a few German 'Wicks at the moment (the ones that "made the cut" as keepers over the years) and have had several others. I'll always have one in my arsenal...period. What do I need to do to join up with the club here?

12. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Pics baby, pics!

(Or of course it didn't happen :smug:)

13. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    Go check out 1st edition FNA clips, if you like that go with a Seymour Duncan preamp and a set of their J's.
    Dimarzio J's in the heat range of your choice + OBP-3 is "hot" growly.
    Old Barts as suggested are a classic but tend to interact more with your amp than the OBP setup.
    EMG + EMG preamp works fine, go check out Andy Irvine's clips.

There are enough Nordstrand equipped Warwick LE's and user modded basses on Youtube.
    The Fortress LE they did with Big Singles sounds really good.

Don't bother with a 3d bridge, I really wouldn't change it to something like a Babicz unless it broke and price of replacement parts was the same as a new bridge.

Matt78, martisanma and Reedt2000 like this.
  14. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Still looking for Star Bass 5 info. Rockbass or any other level of Star Bass 5. Pleeeeeeez. One of the reasons I'm thinking of switching from my Euro5LX is weight. My gig yesterday was short but at roughly 10 pounds it really wore me out. Of course it was 96 degrees and souper humid and I'm sure that had something to do with it. But on the Warwick site the Team built or whatever they're calling it is 4.4 KG which works out to 9.7 pounds. Not much different. But it's still way cool.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  15. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion

Jan 9, 2018
    Can anyone recognise this Warwick?
    I searched on google and couldn't find Warwick with zero fret and all those extra high frets

Baixo Warwick - R$ 1.200,00

16. Barticus

Sep 16, 2017
    NEOhio
    Its a Corvette in Nirvana black, but that neck in funky - not sure what the deal is, it sure doesn't look like any of mine. Those extra upper frets are not even usable as you can't access them.

Can you contact the seller for an explanation?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    ihaveaquestion likes this.
  17. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Truss rod cover looks like it might say rockbass.

LSW and ihaveaquestion like this.
  18. Barticus

Sep 16, 2017
    NEOhio
    I don't understand your comment here, can you please explain?...

As I have 2 basses with the MEC Jazz gold pickups and 'do' have a passive option on both.

19. Northfear

Northfear

Mar 15, 2017
    It's just a preamp bypass. Try removing the battery. Golden MECs are active.

Barticus likes this.
  20. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I'm pretty sure that is correct

SteveCS likes this.