1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Official Warwick Club (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Indeed they are. Unfortunately, at least on my Corvette, there is no passive tone control in bypass mode.

2. Barticus

Barticus Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2017
    NEOhio
    Thanks, I didn't realize that... I'll test it

3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I'm finding the gold Js kinda bland. I've got a gps streamer 5 that plays amazing and is incredibly well made but it lacks the character of my corvette fna jazzman 5. I'm considering swapping all the electronics (Or even a sale/trade). I might have sold it already if it wasn't one of the easiest to setup and nicest playing basses I've ever had my hands on.

4. Matt78

Matt78

Sep 21, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    BE WARNED! I AM THAT NINJA!!!
    Fair enough... Please keep in mind, when people say they've got an old phone, I'd put a bet on it's not nearly as decrepit as mine, lol. It's a flip phone...all but the pic of the latest FNA snatch up, were taken with the flip phone...my neighbor took the one of the sunburst FNA...
    The black one featured first is my "Franken-bass". It's a Pro-line that I got to experiment with pickups/preamps/etc. It's had many different single, split, dual coils in it and I continue to use it as my "play with bass.
    Second pictured is a flame Maple FNA that I got 15 years ago as I needed a 5 string to go with the album we were writing. It doesn't sound like a...or a...but, love it/hate it, it fits the pocket I wanna fill...
    Third pictured is my "Go To" 5 string when I've gotta get as close to the single coil sound as possible, but don't wanna give up the Low B, hence the close up showing it has the "Silver Series" MEC P-ups.
    Lastly, another FNA only this one is a "finished" (lacquer I'm assuming), FNA. As much as I've loved and played my other FNA over the years, when I was able to snatch this one up (last year of the Wenge neck...'98-'99 overflow), for $700, with such a beautiful finish, and as amazing sound as the original FNA I've been using for years, I had to have her! The neck seems a bit more playable to me, but not by much and really could show up at a gig with my Custom Shop AM Fender Jazz, or off the shelf AM Fender P, with either FNA's or either of the Vettes and wouldn't feel a bit undergunned.
    'Wick 4's and I, we never hit it off so to speak. With a Limited Edition Stingray, early Euro series Spector, Tobias Growler ("original" with 2 preamps) I've been able to dial in whatever tone I've needed where I'm playing a 4. When it comes to a 5, or wanting that sound on 4 string songs in the set, I still tend to keep the 'Wick hangin.
    Hope these qualify me for membership!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    TK4261, bass10bfb and Reedt2000 like this.
  5. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    That is the same as a preamp bypass using EMGs or active SDs.
    You are hearing just the basic preamp baked into the pickups.

6. Hey Guys

I'm thinking about putting a Audere Classic 2 band Pre into my Corvette replacing the MEC pre

Do any of you have any experience with Audere in a Warwick?

7. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Mesa Engineering! Warwick-G&L-Source Audio Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Stanislaus
    Not in a Warwick. Other stuff. Great Pre.
    But why not go for a 4 band?
    Controls

Volume / Pickup Balance with center detent

High / Low Mid Tone Controls with center detents

Treble / Bass Tone Controls with center detents

8. I don’t want to stray to far from the two band because that what my corvette currently has but I’m not opposed to a four band. I wish I could get my hands on a bass that already has one of the Audere’s installed so that I could hear what it sounds like.

9. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Hello All,

Does anyone know how the 5 string Corvette $$ German neck is vs the Rockbass version? I played the Rockbass neck and really liked it. Do they have the same neck profile? Thanks!

10. Nakoatron

Nakoatron Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I had an audere pre in a corvette proline and hated every minute. Lifeless, lower output than I cared for and just overall full. Threw an obp3 in and life was great

TK4261, bassbooty and Barticus like this.
  11. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I think it depends on the year. I've got an 05 corvette FNA Jazzman 5-string with a chunky, D-profile neck. I've also got a 16 streamer stage I 5-string with a much slimmer, flatter profile.

12. bassbooty

bassbooty -Rey Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Utah
    Right on brotha @Nakoatron! This is @Stewart13’s friend Rey and I absolutely love the OBP-3 and OBP-2 preamps in all 5 of my Wicks! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Barticus likes this.
  13. Barticus

Sep 16, 2017
    NEOhio
    Hey @bassbooty I love my OBPs in my other basses too..

But I have questions for you on how you did the wiring in your Wicks. :)

Did you maintain the original control configuration on them when you wired in the OBPs? I'm most concerned with the volume/blend push/pull pot on my FNA.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    bassbooty likes this.
  14. Barticus

Sep 16, 2017
    NEOhio
    I’m pretty sure it’s the same neck profile, I have a German 06 Corvette 5’er in black Nirvana and it’s got the classic D shaped neck - I have played a couple of the $$ rock basses at music stores (while testing amps) and they seem to be very similar dimensions to my German Wicks.

my FNA Jazz has the same neck too but my Thumb bolt on 5 custom shop has a thinner neck, they shaved it quite a bit so it’s much thinner from the fingerboard to the back of the neck but with same width dimensions though.

15. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Thanks everyone. I'm looking at a new one.

16. bassbooty

bassbooty -Rey Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Utah
    :thumbsup: Agreed, OBP preamps have sounded great in every bass I’ve tried them in. ;)

I should mention that all my Wicks have a 4 knob configuration. I prefer dual volume controls as opposed to volume/blend, so my OBP-2’s are wired vol-vol-bass-treble. For the OBP-3’s I have a stacked vol/vol pot and the other 3 controls of course are bass-mid-treble (see pic below). I don’t have a need for a preamp bypass so my dual volume pot is just a regular stacked pot.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Barticus likes this.
  17. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    Lolz, the W owners with glockenklang/Noll/Audere preamps that are all about “transparency” should line up with OBP, SD, emg owners and have a bass off.

18. Stewart13

Stewart13 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    Warwick battle of the century

somebrains likes this.
  19. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    where do us Bartolini owners go?

20. Barticus

Sep 16, 2017
    NEOhio
    Good point, I've got a Corvette with a 3-band Bart in it... But want to move it to an OBP :) too

bassbooty likes this.