1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Warwick Club (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. gbv5501

gbv5501 Supporting Member

May 21, 2014
    Frisco, Texas
    Awesome! Thanks!

2. This being the Warwick Club thread... If you were to place a Warwick custom build, what specs would you go with?

3. I have a build in mind, very much a custom job. Warwick basses are great and all, but for some reason I really dig Devin Townsend's Framus Stormbender signature guitar. I would love for Warwick to adapt that design to a 6-string bass, including the inlaid circle at the 12th fret and the illuminated triangle behind the bridge. (Some key details would be missing. I checked Evertune already & they don't produce bass bridges and Fishman doesn't produce a 6-string bass pickup.)

Hoggles and mmon77 like this.
  4. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN

That is an awesome guitar. The first time I saw a video of him playing it I had to look it up and see what it was.

I think it would make a cool 6 string bass. The lack of an Evertune bridge, isn't a big deal, I don't think. I find my basses far less apt to go out of tune than my guitars. The lack of Fishman bass pickup would be a bigger deal to me at least.

Either way it doesn't really matter as far as I'm concerned. Unless I win the lottery, I'd never be spending that much (~$7K!) on an instrument. It's fun to dream though!

TolerancEJ likes this.
  5. Yes, this dream would only happen with a major lottery win situation.

6. graphics1988

graphics1988 Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Huge fan of the Fortress bodystyle...so I'd go that with a lightweight ash body and burl of some sort top (non filled)...blood red with black burst....wenge neck and BEM board....P/MM style pickups (or some Nordstrands) and a dark glass preamp.
    Not that I've thought about it much. ;)

7. FollowMeDown

FollowMeDown

Feb 8, 2019
    My dream build would actually be pretty much the 94 NT5 thumb I already own.
    I'd change a few small things though: Add LED side markers, lengthen the top horn an inch or two to reduce the long reach to the first frets. That would coincidentally also eliminate any neck dive (although I don't really notice any, it seems to be a general complaint made of thumbs). I'd go for the extra slim neck too. I would also test-drive side-by-side the sound of EMG and MEC pickups before I made the call.

Neck: wenge/bubinga 7 piece lamination.
    fingerboard: wenge
    Body: bubinga pommele, natural oil finish
    Brass bridge, nut and frets.
    Dunlop strap-loks like Warwick used as stock around 1990-2000. (Quick strap removal, also not having unsightly protruding pegs that can catch on stuff and wear holes in your bag/case lining etc especially when no strap fitted).

That all said I love the Infinity and Idolmaker series too.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    mmon77 and TolerancEJ like this.
  8. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Other than the red and black burst this is it (in 5 string)

graphics1988 and TolerancEJ like this.
  9. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I like the 5 string thumb pickup layout. I would definitely go with 3 band EQ. Neck with 5 laminations of wenge and zebrano. Hidden NT with Ovangkol body. Wenge or ebony fingerboard. Fretted or fretless/unlined. Oil finish. Side dots only--glow in the dark. Dolphin body. gold hardware. 4 or 5 string.

Hoggles, TolerancEJ and Reedt2000 like this.
  10. PaulS

PaulS

Jan 19, 2016
    New Jersey
    Wow it is so hard to figure what I would get lol. My favorite Warwick is actually my Katana. So I would get bolt on with wenge/ Purple Heart neck, ash body with flamed maple top, high gloss French violet finish, with the fisheye illuminated fret markers. Basically just making my Katana fancier haha

11. Gooney

Gooney

Apr 22, 2019
    I haven't tried the Corvette Standard with 2 J pickups. I do own the Corvette $$ 5 string in that same color. (Nirvana Black satin)

It's fantastic! The pickups put out massive thick tones. You can play with the switches to put the pickups into series, parallel, or single coil. There are some good tone choices.

I play quite softly but when I dig in it really growls. The pickups are hot so you get a lot of dynamic range between subtle smooth touch, and slap or hard plucking.

Draghici Ionut likes this.
  12. dax21

dax21

Nov 26, 2011
    Serbia
    Speaking of hypothetical dream custom stuff, am I the only one who wants a Corvette with rounded streamer-style body? Make it 35" and $$ pup configuration, sandblasted natural ash body and black hardware.

Hoggles and Reedt2000 like this.
  13. Erithon

Erithon

Apr 2, 2018
    Hey all! Long-time Warwick owner here (I play a SSI 4 and fretless Thumb SC 6, and in the past also a Fortress MM 4 and fretless Corvette Std 4). I have a question I'm hoping ya'll will know:

What year did Masterbuilt/Custom Shop instruments begin to be issued with individual Certificates of Authenticity?

14. Hoggles

Hoggles Supporting Member

Fantasy custom Wick...

I'd have to go with a new build of the '85 JD Thumb. Version 1 (there were 3 versions of the JD in '85 alone...the original and 2 revisions). It's just the most amazing work of art I've ever seen or played...and it would be pretty neat to have a modern reproduction.

Would have to keep everything the same. In all it's unbalanced perfection...

Scalloped headstock
    No volute
    Ultra short horn
    Schaller bridge, in it's original position
    Rear strap button way up top
    Thin body....talking wafer thin
    EMG's w/faithful reproduction of the BEC pre
    JAN
    Nickel silver frets
    Bubinga/Wenge
    Serial stamped, old school

Ok, some titanium reinforcement where the volute would go, might be the only non-original thing I might request.

:drool::bassist:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    PaulS, TolerancEJ, gravesbass and 2 others like this.
  15. FollowMeDown

FollowMeDown

Feb 8, 2019
    I need a new strap for my Thumb 5. I have a bad left shoulder so need something as comfortable as possible. Any suggestions?

TolerancEJ likes this.
  16. Seems like something you should probably remedy sooner than later. If you're near a music store, I would just bring the bass and try it with a few different straps until finding one that works best.

I own a Thumb BO 6 and I wear it with a leather National 3.5" or 4" wide strap with a rough suede backing that sort of grips my shirt to help it stay in place. I also wear my basses a little high. Just a guess, but potentially playing a low-hanging bass could affect someone's back. Again, that's just a guess with no research behind it.

17. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    For fighting off neck-dive most people do as @TolerancEJ suggests and go wide with a textured surface on the underside. I don't know if that will help your bad shoulder or not. There are neoprene straps that actually flex like a bungee cord (not that extreme obviously). Like this one:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Neotec...jW2FjwErKwP8P6F8i5Ynl7IWO8gXp8oRoCyuAQAvD_BwE

I always thought they felt kinda weird, but I'm not trying to protect an injured shoulder :D

Given your situation I think bringing the bass to a music shop (assuming there is one close enough) is the smart move.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  18. PaulS

PaulS

Jan 19, 2016
    New Jersey
    DuoStrap Neo™

I use one of these. I have shoulder issues too and this lets both shoulders take the weight. The small horn on a thumb can make it tough to position so you should look into the accessories they offer for small horn basses.

@FollowMeDown

Reedt2000 and Barticus like this.
  19. Barticus

Barticus Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2017
    NEOhio
    I'm a fan of the DuoStrap also, I have 6 of these for my Warwicks (think heavy) :) and my Skjold (big body but not heavy). I've tried other wide straps as well, they're just not padded ie- Warwickand Levy (like a 4" wide cheap Ernie Ball seatbelt-type strap) they work fine for my lighter basses and distribute the load YMMV :thumbsup:

I've tried others, but have found the Duo's to be the most comfortable for me... And they're fairly inexpensive but very well made.

On my Thumb 5
    View attachment 3472792

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    PaulS and Reedt2000 like this.