1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Warwick Club (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Stewart13

Stewart13 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Redmond, Oregon
    Is anyone familiar with how the 2-way truss rods work? I have one in my ‘94 SSII and I’d like to put a smidge more relief in the neck as it’s a little too straight. The truss rod is essentially backed off all the way (turned all the way right) so I’m a little confused. Am I missing something with this 2-way rod? Thanks.

2. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Clockwise removes relief. Counterclockwise adds relief. You should feel resistance when turning it if it is causing the neck to move.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    With the 2-way rod there will be a spot in between it's clockwise and counter clockwise rotations where it's loose. If you're at that point keep turning counter clockwise and you should feel it start to resist again.

bassbooty, Stewart13 and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  4. Stewart13

Jan 8, 2016
    Redmond, Oregon
    I'm at the point where if I turn it any more clockwise the truss rod nut will just come off. So I'm pretty sure it's completely backed off. The previous owner @bassbooty took such great care of it that barely needs any neck tension. It's happily lived a half step down it's whole life.

5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    It sounds like you are still trying to turn it the wrong direction.

6. Stewart13

Jan 8, 2016
    Redmond, Oregon
    But if its the two way rod doesn't that mean counter-clockwise is tighten and clockwise is loosen? That's what I'm understanding from when I turn it. When I turn it counter-clockwise it feels like it's tightening but I want more relief not less.

7. FollowMeDown

FollowMeDown

Feb 8, 2019
    From the Warwick manual: "Tuning the truss rod key clockwise will tighten the truss rod and give the neck a back bow. The fretboard flattens. Turning the truss rod key counterclockwise will loosen the truss rod and give the neck a forward bow. These adjustments should be done in small steps of 1/4 to 1/2 turn because the neck's reaction is not instantaneous. You should check the results after approximately one hour and probably check again the following day. Readjust the truss rod if needed."

8. Stewart13

Jan 8, 2016
    Redmond, Oregon
    Pretty sure that's for their newer standard truss rods. Not the 90's two-way rods.

9. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    I would turn it Anti-clockwise about 1 full turn. Then play it for a few days and see how it is.

10. Stewart13

Jan 8, 2016
    Redmond, Oregon
    Is the effect the opposite as well? So when it's tightening you're getting more relief?

11. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    You need to remember that there's wood being compressed as you apply force. If the strings are still at tension, then you are potentially damaging your neck.
    Especially going in a clockwise direction. Forcing it all the way clockwise is never a good idea.
    If it was near perfect when you got the bass, than you just needed to go 1/4 turn Anti-clockwise to add a tiny bit more relief.

12. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    The nut will not come off of a 2-way truss rod, just start applying pressure in the other direction. If it comes off, it's not a 2-way rod
    main-qimg-08033cfc3f533f9cbcc30a05abaa46e0-c.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    bassbooty likes this.
  13. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007

TolerancEJ likes this.
  14. Stewart13

Jan 8, 2016
    Redmond, Oregon
    yes, that is for a standard non two way rod...

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  15. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    826D8302-BFA5-40DE-B270-3DC0D10B6B46. 43BF5F98-B11B-421F-B7C9-33834F7F86C2. 3239ECF2-52E1-4B90-9802-B2EB55EDAB76. D05125B6-4AA8-4956-A8C3-5FCD42151419. ABD28688-E4C5-46CE-89EF-E8C7A846B0FB. Don’t think I’ve posted my bass in here before. Hope it’s welcome even though it’s not a German made Wick. It’s a rockbass short scale, the newer one with the wenge fretboard. Amazing quality bass, I’d say it easily rivals the 2008 Corvette $$ I had.

16. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Anti clockwise still adds relief no matter what truss rod you have.
    Maybe somebody somewhere makes one that’s backwards but I am not aware of it.

James Collins likes this.
  17. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    In a traditional truss rod, loosening adds relief by letting the strings pull bow into the neck. If the neck doesn't bow under string tension, a traditional rod cant do anything. A 2-way, dual adjustable truss rod can force relief in by applying pressure in the other direction (see image above).

bassbooty likes this.
  18. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    2-way truss rod? Where did you hear that 90's Warwicks have a 2-way truss rod? All of my 90's 'wicks (4) seem to have a standard truss rod. I'm not even sure what a 2-way rod is? All rods work in two ways; double action?

If it's all the way clockwise. Turn it back the other way. You're tightening it. I've never heard of a truss rod with reverse thread. 99.9% sure to add to some relief you need to turn it counter-clockwise.

FunkHead likes this.
  19. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Barticus likes this.
  20. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Agreed but clockwise will never add relief afaik.