1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Warwick Club (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. PizzaFiend

PizzaFiend

Oct 4, 2019
    USA Earth
    Fair enough. I am merely pointing out that I worked with Warwick to source a new part for my old bass, and did not need to replace my battery compartment to replace the cover. The new-style cover fit perfectly. YMMV

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  2. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Oh...my fault. I thought you were talking about the electronics cover. I was following along with the talk of the 90s one. It would be a snap on cover instead of screw on and there is no separate battery box. Hence my confusion.

PizzaFiend likes this.
  3. dax21

dax21

Nov 26, 2011
    Serbia
    Package suprised me two hours ago and I got the replacement frame with the plastic cover for the electronics cavity and it was super easy to replace. With the plastic frame you get 5 screws and I can confirm that screws are the same length and on the same positions as on my 1995 Corvette. Frame feels identical but the cover plastic feels quite cheaper and more brittle than the original one, you know the type. I guess I will just have to be more careful in the future.

Anyhow, replacing it took me literally a minute and didn't require anything other than just simply unscrewing the old one and screwing in the new plastic frame.

4. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    How difficult was that? With the MEC Pu's being active and powered.

5. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    Pretty sure it's not Wenge. When I got it, I posted the S/N in the Warwick forum, and the specs I got back are what I posted above. here it is next to my SR-506, with a Wenge finger board. (I almost typed "Fret board" but it is fretless :) )
    The grain is much tighter on the Corvette.
    DSC03187.JPG DSC03187.JPG DSC03190.JPG DSC03191.JPG

6. Stewart13

Stewart13 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Redmond, Oregon
    Pretty straight forward. Only difference is you wire your positive leads to your red wire of your preamp.

7. This is interesting. Both of my GPS Warwicks (Thumb BO and Streamer LX) have Wenge fretboards and look exactly like your corvette. They will look a bit darker when cleaned and oiled, but after a bit it looks like your Corvette. Is it a GPS or Masterbuilt? I don't recall Warwick ever using Bubinga on production models.

Either way, those are nice basses! :thumbsup:

Barticus and Andyman001 like this.
  8. Andyman001

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    As far as I know, It is just a German built Corvette STD, but I am not the original owner.

9. Honestly, it's likely wenge. Run the S/N again through this to see what it says:
    en/Framus---Support--Serial-Number.html

Barticus likes this.
  10. Andyman001

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    didn't show fret board:

Serial number:
    L-******-06
    Article number:
    **********BPASHOWW
    produced:

Description:
    Corvette Standard, 5-string
    Nirvana Black Oil finish
    Swamp Ash body
    Ovangkol neck
    Black hardware

Made in Germany

Pizza1988 likes this.
  11. Andyman001

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    Gotta go to work, (While I can)

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

12. It's definitely wenge. Ovankol neck with wenge fretboard is the standard. :)
    I'm still working too lol can't weld from home :cautious:

dweezle6239, Andyman001 and Barticus like this.
  13. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Hello All,

We’re the bronze frets on a ‘96 Corvette smaller than they are now?

14. Electricalbass

Electricalbass

Dec 13, 2017
    NW Montana
    For what it’s worth the frets on my 98 corvette are much smaller than the ones on the 2000 corvette I had. Both bronze.

ODDBALL likes this.
  15. Barticus

Barticus Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2017
    NEOhio
    Here's my 2006 Corvette on the left and my 97 Corvette on the right, 97 definitely has smaller frets.
    26BC4566-4319-44FB-A69C-E8E6124BD95E.png

16. Erithon

Erithon Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2018
    Yes. Now Warwick uses "Jumbo" frets which are bigger than what they used in the 90s. At least, that's been my experience. I suppose the idea is the frets will last longer, but I really don't like the "Jumbo" ones. They are too intrusive.

17. 5tring

5tring

Sep 16, 2018
    UK
    They require a wider slot as well, the replacement brass frets do not fit older models unless you widen the slot

18. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I was looking at picture of a newer ‘05 Vette compared to my ‘96 and noticed the frets seemed larger than the ‘96. I started thinking “Do I need to replace my frets” lol. They look good but smaller.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Erithon likes this.
  19. Stewart13

Stewart13 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Redmond, Oregon
    I personally don’t like 90s Warwick frets because they’re so small to begin with, combine that with super soft brass and you have a recipe for needing levels and crownings constantly and then a refret if you have no material left. My ‘94 was re fretted with Jescar EVO Gold fretwire, which is a similar material but much harder and taller.

20. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    The frets on my ‘96 still look good. So I’m happy.

Boyitz, TN WOODMAN and Reedt2000 like this.