The Official Warwick Club (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Warwicks always operate under Rule Of Thumb. Ha ha ha.

2. JuanG

JuanG Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Great point!

BrusselsBass likes this.
  3. Yeah, that's a head scratcher.

Admittedly I'm a lefty so pickings are always slimmer, but from where is sit there aren't a lot of people selling their old 'Wicks, and used prices are climbing steadily.

BrusselsBass and Katoosie like this.
  4. direktor

direktor Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Warwick isn’t doing great. I’d like to see them figure out what could change and adjust.

Even better if somebody at Hq sees that discussion and reads it.

If there’s an aspect of that thread I don’t understand, it’s a whole lot of people giving their opinions of the one (or 5) Warwick bass(es) they owned, as if that could be extrapolated into why they are losing market share. One doesn’t have anything to do with the other.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  5. Katoosie

Katoosie

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    Before getting my thumby i saw your posts in some of the threads on the Warwick forum so its cool top see you here as well.

:)

PaulS and BrusselsBass like this.
  6. Not sure if I would be fit to give advise on how to run a company, and this is discussed in the other 'expert thread'.
    Here in Europe Wicks are still good sellers. Thomann is the main distributor.
    Chinese Rockbass series are similarly priced like Squier/Fender and all the other instruments built in Asia, and I won't buy them.
    Teambuilt has the quality and price range of EBMM, Fender USA etc.
    Masterbuilt can compete with any other top quality instruments. And CustomeShop is for the guys like Mr Robert Trujillo and other pros.
    Used instruments come up frequently in Europe at prices just above a new RockBass, though rising.
    I love the pre 1990s entirely hand built by luthiers, after moving from Eggolsheim to Markneukirchen, they changed their production to CNC machines.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  7. Day 7 in the Warwick Club (connecting to the discussions above), this is the only new Warwick that I bought :
    A semi-hollow Starbass II Teambuilt in bubinga. I saw it, fell in love, and needed to have ( GAS :woot: ) !! Ovangkol neck and wenge fretboard.
    The 2 passive single coil MEC pickups produce a massive boom. Neck and bridge PU have a distinct difference in tone, the passive tone blend does the job well.
    I changed from Warwick black-label strings to D'Addario ECB81 flatwounds. Pickup height is adjustable like in the 60s Schaller PUs by turning the magnet with a screwdriver.
    At a special offer, the price was just a bit more than a Gretsch semi-hollow built in China :smug:

20210606_110050.jpg 20210606_110111.jpg 20210606_110121.jpg 20210606_110207.jpg 20210606_110219.jpg 20210606_110229.jpg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  8. Wow, not into Chinese instruments, however this is a beautiful bass

9. bste9

bste9 Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    ? It says right on the headstock, Made in Germany. It definitely not Chinese

AudioTaper and BrusselsBass like this.
  10. Oops, just looked at the headstock again. That would have to be the pride of the fleet

11. Katoosie

Katoosie

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    So a few days have passed after I put the double layer of wax on the body of my thumb bass and I have to saytthat the bass feels really nice to play.

It smells very faintly of wax so the smell has disappeared almost entirely but the effect on the body has been great. The wood is much darker and softer to the touch. Thanks for all the tips from everyone about waxing the thing :)

Reedt2000, JuanG, /\/\3phist0 and 4 others like this.
  12. Day 8 in the Club, another bass to present:
    This '07 fretless Corvette $$ 5 stringer, ash body and ovangkol neck with an ebony fretboard. 2-band electronics active/passive with switch for parallel/serial/single mode of each $. Though having these vast number of possibilities, I couldn't get the sound I was looking for. I also prefer the shaping of the original Corvette to place the right arm, which this one didn't have. So I was selling it at the end. I was later buying a fretless Mayones BE 5 with 3-band Bartolini electronics, which I still have.

20191219_162724.jpg 20191219_162753.jpg 20200524110859_IMG_4940.JPG 20200524110918_IMG_4941.JPG

13. JuanG

JuanG Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Trying to buy a Gold bridge to replace the one I have on my SS2. It's sold out on the Warwick/Framus website but available at the Thomann website.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/warwick_bridge_30116_4_g.htm

Would I have to import fees on this? I am assuming that it's been shipped from the UK.

Thanks!

14. Katoosie

Katoosie

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    Send them a message or chat with a sales person. I believe they have a US warehouse but do not quote me on that.
    Otherwise, yes. Import fees would apply.

BrusselsBass and Reedt2000 like this.
  15. The Bass Place has the tailpiece in stock. Maybe give them a call about the bridge? I bought my bridge and truss rod from them.

Warwick 4 string Gold Bridge Tailpiece (only) - Replace that old grungy part - The Bass Place

JuanG and BrusselsBass like this.
  16. WarwickE36

WarwickE36

Oct 28, 2010
  17. Day 9 in the TB Warwick Club :)

Katoosie likes this.
  18. Katoosie

Katoosie

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    No more bases?

AudioTaper and BrusselsBass like this.
  19. With Day 9 in the Club, I have a few arrows left in my quiver.
    Today I present one of the earlier models - a Nobby Meidel with serial plate 190 (a keeper) from around 1984, fretless with active Alembic activators in PJ configuration and a passive tone blend.
    Right rosewood body wings separated by maple stripes, the neck is wenge with an ebony fretboard. I don't know if bubinga was also used for the wenge neck - there is a stripe in the middle that is a different wood. The neck is longer than the first Nobbies providing for 26 positions (instead of 24), so the total length is about 2-3cm more.
    The sound is quite unique with a strong mid focus, the tone blend cuts the treble well. The P is very present, the J has a weak output. This is well known from discussions in the Alembic club. I tried the bass with passive EMGs, but finally I soldered back the original electronic because it gives such a unique sound.
    What makes this one a rare best is that according to H.P.Wilfer some 20-30 Nobbies were equipped with Alembic electronics, and only 30 or 50 fretless Nobbies were built.
    The playability is excellent with the brass extender reaching the 12th position on the board, but you cannot hide behind this bass.
    Nobbies were built in the period 1982-1992, and before that Warwick only built a few "TV basses" - a Fender clone in PJ configuration.
    20210608_094401.jpg 20210608_094458.jpg 20210608_094535.jpg 20210608_094612.jpg 20210608_094637.jpg 20210608_094705.jpg 20210608_094729.jpg 20210608_094755.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    OmBot, Hnz, PizzaFiend and 8 others like this.
  20. Katoosie

Katoosie

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    That is such an awesome looking bass, just look at that! So out there! Every time I see pictures from you or other Warwick users the instruments always look like theyve been made by professionals and the quality and engineering just blows me away every time. I dont care how much TB likes fenders, they look like toys compared to the crazines or warwicks :p

Oh by the way, what made you own so many warwicks?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021