The Official Warwick Club (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Great bass, I was lucky enough to pick this up for 2500 USD 20210331_100439.jpg

2. dax21

dax21

Nov 26, 2011
    Serbia
    Easiest way to test an amp/cab is with another bass/guitar plugged in... or, if you have the right cable, simply playing some music off your phone or laptop. You said you have an interface, plug your instrument cable into the headphone jack in the interface and plug it into the amp's input. It won't hurt it. If there is still buzzing, then you can narrow it down as an amp/cab issue.

I would also try taking the amp and cab to a friend's apartment to see if the issue persist if that is the case. Maybe its some sort of issue with the electrical installations in your apartment.

AudioTaper and Katoosie like this.
  3. Katoosie

Katoosie

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    Ill try pluggning it into the amps input whatevertthat means, with the interface

4. Taustin Powers

Taustin Powers Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Berlin, Germany
    That showroom sale seems to be going well. From what I gather, since yesterday they have already sold:

- Streamer Stage II (to me!)
    - Streamer Stage II 5 string
    - Thumb 5 BO
    - Thumb NT Fretless
    - Streamer Jazzman
    - FNA Jazzman
    - Corvette

Still many good deals left!

5. OmBot

OmBot

Jan 11, 2006
    Oslo, Norway
    I'm trying to convince myself that its a bad idea to buy that Buzzard. It's not going very well...

6. Katoosie

Katoosie

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    Im really thinking its the amp.
    It smelled kinda bad few days ago and I think maybe something is up with the preamp?

Again i plugged the small NUX guitar amp and played my bass thu it and it was almost entirely fine, minus the grounding because the power plug for that NUX doesnt have a ground at all and my bass was fine.

But if I run it thru my rig, oh boy...

Called EBS today and talked to the tech there. He told me to come over today or tomorrow but I cant due to work and hes going on a vacation in 2 days so I'll take the head to him if I dont solve the issue until then.

AudioTaper likes this.
  7. dax21

dax21

Nov 26, 2011
    Serbia
    You connect your interface's headphone jack to amp's input. Then play whatever music on your computer and listen to it out of your bass amp. If music has the same buzzing and noise, then you can obviously eliminate your bass as an issue.

Katoosie likes this.
  8. Katoosie

Katoosie

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    I already know my bass is not an issue. Took it to a tech yesterday and everything worked fine there, 0 buzz or noise from my thumb bass. Bass is not the issue.

AudioTaper and PizzaFiend like this.
  9. PizzaFiend

PizzaFiend

Oct 4, 2019
    USA, Earth
    I’m having similar thoughts, and I already have one :roflmao:

10. Stewart13

Stewart13 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Bend, Oregon
    If only this had popped up 2 years ago!! I found an ‘01 Infinity fretless that was gorgeous but upon receiving it I noticed the truss rod was stripped as well as maxed. Check your rods people once you’ve bought and received!!!

11. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    My Fortress had truss rod issues when I got it. I'm just glad it had the removable rod and I was able to fix it.

BrusselsBass and Stewart13 like this.
  12. Katoosie

Katoosie

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    @dax21
    I am at home now so tell me EXACTLY how you would like me to connect my rig to test it out.
    Again, trying a small guitar combo NUX is basically fine (tiny buzz, the NUXes cord is ungrounded)
    Playing my bass somewhere else, is fine.
    Playing my bass interface into laptop, is fine.
    Playing my bass through my rig BUT thru headphones, is basically fine (small buzzing as usual but almost inaudible)
    Playing my bass through my rig BZZZ BZZZ BZZZ BZZZ BZZZ

@edit
    Let me ask in the GK club if my cab could have been damaged in transport while I was moving.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    BrusselsBass and AudioTaper like this.
  13. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    I never cared much for the look, until I started listening to Nightwish. Screenshot_20191212-105221_YouTube.jpg

But I would never look that cool onstage.

14. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    What make and model amp do you have?

Does it have a Ground Lift switch on the back?

The Thumb is active, you can plug it directly into the Power Amp In jack or Effects Loop Return. That bypasses the preamp and just sends the bass signal to the power amp. It might be a little quieter than normal, but we want to test for the buzzing

I doubt the speaker is the issue

BrusselsBass, Katoosie and Reedt2000 like this.
  15. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    Also, you can isolate the preamp by plugging the Preamp Out (or Effects Loop Send) to the interface. Bass is plugged into the amp as usual.

BrusselsBass and Katoosie like this.
  16. Katoosie

Katoosie

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    @AudioTaper
    EBS reidmar 502, its in my signature.
    Ill check it out after ive watched a movie.

Yes it has a ground lift and its on.
    Off on doewnt matter its still buzzing.

BrusselsBass and AudioTaper like this.
  17. Katoosie

Katoosie

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    @AudioTaper
    I just plugged my bass into the effects return at the back and there is no buzz no matter what I do.
    Everything sounds great, just quieter.
    What does that mean?

18. Taustin Powers

Taustin Powers Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Berlin, Germany
    The preamp section of your amp is shot. By going into the effects return, you are bypassing the preamp.

BrusselsBass, avi, Reedt2000 and 4 others like this.
  19. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    Sounds like something is wrong with the preamp. It's all solid state, so there are no preamp tubes to mess with. You said it smelled a little?
    Did you buy it new 2 months ago? I would have it checked out by an authorized service center or see if the dealer can exchange it for a new one (depends what their return or warranty terms are).

At least you determined what part is having issues :bassist:

BrusselsBass, avi, Reedt2000 and 2 others like this.
  20. Katoosie

Katoosie

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    Yeah it smelled like burnt Electronics some days ago. It is a solid state, bought brand new in May. I already spoke with the company who made it, got told to bring it in but I cant this week due to work and the tech is going on vacation until after next week so I said I will bring it in after that.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021