The Official Warwick Club (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. JuanG

JuanG Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Last year I ordered a new bridge from Thomann in Germany and got to NY in just a few days and no extra charge.

2. OmBot

OmBot

Jan 11, 2006
    Oslo, Norway
    Thanks, I'm very happy with it! :bassist:
    I checked with HP, the pot under the volume control is balance between the pickup coils.

Andyman001 and BrusselsBass like this.
  3. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

Time again to update the ol' family photos:

PXL_20211110_153250875 cropped.jpeg

Anybody know where I can find the SN on this Vampyre? I don't even know what year it is.

4. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    S/E Idaho
    You holding your phone right? those look backward.
    :p

5. bonin in the boneyard

Actually, I was holding it left.

6. Barticus

Barticus Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Midwest
    Well played, well played :woot:

7. Erithon

Erithon Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2018
    That Fortress :)

8. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    358C80D3-A030-479B-A104-410D56F31896.jpeg

back in the club with this sweet 5 string streamer!

Attached Files:

9. Stewart13

Stewart13 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Beauty! What year?

BrusselsBass and Kitsapbass like this.
  10. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    thanks ! 2003

BrusselsBass and Kitsapbass like this.
  11. JTB325

JTB325

Nov 11, 2021
    Crazy, all these years later I bought this bass as my first Warwick a few months back

Reedt2000 likes this.
  12. bonin in the boneyard

This started to bug me so I did a couple of searches and found that for these high-polish instruments, Warwick stamps the serial number on a tiny piece of wood that they then glue to the bottom of the electronics cavity. I couldn't actually read it, so I had to take flash photos from different angles and reconstruct it.

Per Warwick, this is a 2005 (born January 5) with a maple body and ovangkol neck. The set neck Vampyres were made from 2003 until Warwick ceased doing set necks in 2008.

I am super stoked as a lefty to own such an unusual and interesting beast. And she plays pretty well, too!

13. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Got the rig set up

Attached Files:

14. Barticus

Barticus Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Midwest
    That sea-foam green SL112 is pretty cool!

15. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    I like it, hope they don't become impossible to find if I need another 112, I would hate to end up mismatched :woot:

Barticus likes this.
  16. Got another off Reverb. Seller’s pic, better camera than mine.

Changed strings, did the setup and we’re rocking 1 to 1.25mm action without buzzing unless you go all ff.

DE5E351A-1EEB-4A48-9C6B-D817080BC8AD.jpeg

17. labeledbass

labeledbass Supporting Member

May 24, 2015
    With it that low can you dig in hard? Basically snapping any string? I'm learning my tolerance is about 2-2.35mm to keep the buzzes away. I try changing techniques but it's just not me, or at least what I want out of my bass

18. My ppp to fff may not be the same as yours. I found at one point long ago I wasnt really getting the most dynamics out of my bass because I was playing too hard though. I think it was coming from playing upright and having an underpowered amp. As I explored my own dynamics more, I found a good spot where my quietest works with the quietest a drummer will play, my loudest, the same without any compression. That meant, with my rig, playing what initially seemed very lite. Once I got used to it though, I realized I could play a lot faster anywhere from p to f because simply I wasnt asking the strings to move as much.

Still, thats what worked for me, and I have probably gravitated to basses that also work well for that. I dont think there is really a correct answer. I set my electric upright up with pretty high action for example and play it much harder.

timplog and labeledbass like this.
  19. labeledbass

labeledbass Supporting Member

May 24, 2015
    Ok, I've had an internal conflict with myself the last few years trying to play the lowest action possible, but still retain the dynamics of "digging in". For a long time I assumed I played with atrociously high action until I accurately checked where it really was, pretty much in the middle, if not a tad lower. Alot of the "digging in" is to provoke my gear to react a certain way, maybe I can start there and bring everything down globally, I know my left had at least, will thank me

timplog and scott sinner like this.
  20. 2mm isn't high action though. (to make sure we're speaking in the same metrics, the standard method to measure is to capo at the 1st fret and check from bottom string to top of 12th frets.)

2mmish is rather normal for discerning bassists I think. For friends that I do setups for (i'm the guy in my circle with all the tools) that's what they often will say 'dude you got my action so nice and low last time, can we get it back to that.'

Small number of responses but this site seems to agree.
    Height of B or E at 12th Fret Poll

Rather, my preference is on the low low side. I will get files out and do work to get them to that 1mmish point. I'm a bit rabid about it.

Also my preference also IS for some string rattle when I dig in. But my want is for it to be even across frets. Hell, I often wish more of the rattle would come through the pickups.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    timplog, labeledbass and Reedt2000 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 7, 2021