The Official Warwick Club (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. labeledbass

labeledbass Supporting Member

May 24, 2015
    Oh wow, well then I think I may have a lower height than I think, I measure from bottom of string (generally start with a E) to top of fret. 2mm/.090~. This is a new bass (to me), and I'm waiting on some new strings, I will try to really fine tune once they arrive. But I whole heartily agree, if I could have consistent "buzz" across the board, I would do the same. Not to say mine can't get there, but I need to get some tapered strings as my intonation is a mess at the moment, and I don't really want to put more time into it, yet. But that goes to show you, my scale for low action is even lower than I thought, I can only assume measuring like you mention from the first fret and not nutt, should be lower than I expected

scott sinner likes this.
  2. Harold Runyan

Harold Runyan

Apr 27, 2015
    Ashland, KY
    I would set neck relief by putting a capo on the first fret and fretting the string at the last fret. Then I measure the distance at the 7th or 8th fret to the bottom of the string & adjust the truss rod to get a couple of business cards worth of space.To set my action (string height) I remove the capo and measure the distance between the bottom of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string. I shoot for an action of about 1.75mm to 2.0mm and use the bridge adjustments to achieve this. I’ll then adjust the other string heights to the same height. This is how I match the strings to the radius of the fretboard. These settings work well for me with my Warwicks and other basses. Sometimes I will tweak things a little beyond that based on what the owner wants but seldom need to vary things too much. If a player really digs in I may raise the strings to suit their needs but seldom need to mess with the truss rod beyond that. Cautionary note- careful adjusting truss rods! Loosen first to confirm functionality! AND TAKE IT EASY! There are easy to follow videos on Warwick’s website for all of this.

3. Stewart13

Stewart13 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Bend, Oregon
    Barticus likes this.
  4. Barticus

Barticus Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Midwest
  5. Stewart13

Jan 8, 2016
    Bend, Oregon
    No it wasn’t me hehe. That would be a $200-$2500 profit right there.

6. Yes, similar process for me except I aim to get the action a bit lower for myself. This is almost exactly what I will set for other people if they don't know what to ask for though.

For kicks, for the Corvette I posted on the last page, I noticed the neck settled a little after my day 1 adjustments and got a little more even as to relief from g to e. It was barely different initially and now is, as far as I even have finery of gauges to measure, exactly even. I decided to see how low I could go without buzzing on any thing from p to m. Got it to .5 to .75!! That is actually too low for what feels like a comfortable bounce on slaps so I brought it back up, but damn the fretwork on this 18 year old bass.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    Harold Runyan and Andyman001 like this.
  7. WarwickE36

WarwickE36

Oct 28, 2010
    Welp, My SSII has a noisy input jack now. Anytime the cable end is bumped or sometimes twisted inside the jack I get feedback. I assume it's the insulating sleeve inside the jack itself failing and letting signal and ground touch... as that accurate? The wiring inside all looks fine. I assume if it's the jack I need to get a Warwick one or is there a better option.

8. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    If it's a barrel jack, just get the Switchcraft 152. You can get them in black, gold, or chrome plating. It's what Warwick will send you, but you'll pay more getting it from them.

Edit: use a Switchcraft 155 since it has the small ground lug.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  9. Stewart13

Jan 8, 2016
    Bend, Oregon
    Actually, there is a difference between the Switchcraft barrel jacks and the Warwick MEC ones. I prefer the MEC barrel jacks because they don’t have that obnoxiously large grounding terminal. Just my 2¢. Either will work exactly as they should.

AudioTaper likes this.
  10. WarwickE36

WarwickE36

Oct 28, 2010
    Thank you! precisely what I needed to know! Perhaps now is the time to complete the full blackout and get the black one.

Barticus and AudioTaper like this.
  11. WarwickE36

WarwickE36

Oct 28, 2010
    AudioTaper likes this.
  12. Hendricks97

Hendricks97

Jan 3, 2017
    I use the Pure Tone branded ones when I replace any

13. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    Oops, I meant the 155. Good catch!
    The 152 has that strain relief clamp, but you can cut it off if necessary.

WarwickE36 likes this.
  14. Stewart13

Jan 8, 2016
    Bend, Oregon
    Is that what that’s called? What kind of strain relief does it provide

15. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Just weighed my streamer stage II, 9.7 lbs - what's the average weight of these basses? I have heard warwick basses are very heavy however this one is very manageable...is the streamer lighter than most others? i feel like my fortress was in this range as well but that was many years ago.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good strap? i recall having one that was made of some sort of stretchy foam, super comfortable, anyone know if that company is still around?

16. WarwickE36

WarwickE36

Oct 28, 2010

My 1991 SSII is 11.2 lbs

BrusselsBass likes this.
  17. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    My old friend with the Thumb 5 BO turned me on to the Comfort Strapp. It's basically neoprene foam padding with an elastic band on the back. Really comfortable.

I recently bought a Gruvgear Solostrap Neo 4". Its not as stretchy/bouncy, but I really like it. 20211120_215911.jpg

The Fortress get a nice soft leather Levys MSS2. But it only weighs 8.5lbs.

18. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    that's the one, Comfort Strapp!!! thank you!

AudioTaper likes this.
  19. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Brass nut swap before & after

Attached Files:

djaxup, dax21, tom_t and 1 other person like this.
  20. Harold Runyan

Harold Runyan

Apr 27, 2015
    Ashland, KY
    Every bass I’ve ever had with a barrel jack, including 6 Warwicks, has had to have a replacement! Once I went to a wireless system and quit tripping on cords the issue has mysteriously gone away!

scott sinner and AudioTaper like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021