1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Washburn Club (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 29, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    The brass circles were marks of Washburn's "higher" quality instruments. Look at the A series guitars:
    A-5 is bolt on, plastic dots.....
    A-10 is set neck, plastic dots, 2 dbl pups, 4 pots and toggle.....
    A-15 is set-neck, strat pups, plastic dots, 3 pots and slide switch....
    A-20 is neck-thru, brass circles, 2 dbl pups, 4 pots and toggle. (all came with whammy config if desired--"V" models of each). So gradating upward to the brass circles.

Look at the B-20 Stage basses, unusual shape meant to stand out, superb "extra" craftsmanship, brass circles, neck-thru (the only stepped neck-thru I know of in our vintage basses--as a tribute to our pal, SP_EB4L!!:) ) It is a pièce de résistance for them in 1980 when it arrived on the scene. The lower cost B-5: bolt-on, plastic dots.

Ravens--plastic + Hawks---plastic
    vs
    Falcons---available in both plastic or brass circles + Eagles---brass circles

Brass rings says "Look at this! It is our best stuff!"

That's how I read it.

I have had girlfriends who said my you-know-what should have brass circles. So I peeled off the plastic dots. It hurt. Never again (the heck with depth gauges) and I sure ain't gonna de-fret it.

2. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    ???

BTW: Who here has modified their B-40 to get more ummph out of the jazz pup? Or is there any value of elec component to change out like a resistor or anything? Another B-40 owner at Basschat in UK wants to know.

3. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
  4. psp742

psp742 Washburn above others.

Jun 4, 2012
    Morganville, NJ
    just wondering how my 86' Force ABT B-30 MiJ by Kasuga (metallic red) would rate against a B40 or the other Washburn bass... I have never strum or played others vintage models... I think Bantam XB400 isn't vintage yet and comparing PJ to a jazz bass is like apples and oranges.

thanks for rating.

I got frustrated by not winning the MiJ Force B2 (white), that I bought a Washburn X-33 MiK (black) "it cost more than the bass but i wants it" *in creepy gollum voice* :)

5. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    I bet that B-30 is a fine bass. It would be hard to compare because personal taste will come in. But I would take a B-30 and play it anywhere anytime.

hey--LET'S SEE THE X-33!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. psp742

Jun 4, 2012
    Morganville, NJ
  7. SP_EB4L

SP_EB4L Supporting Member

Good evening psp742,

Nice your new guitar but it's bad that you lost the B2 BBR, it's seems that no one in the gang get it. About your B30, it was the Washburn bass flagship in 1985 so it's surely sound like hell. I got a B-15 that is a mid-level model and I really like this bass for the ergonomy and for the tone but it's a total different animal if I compare it to my Bantam XB-120 (same as the Bantam XB-400 but the active circuit is maybe different). both are stringed with DR Black Beauty so I could really compare the two. The XB-120 got a sound really different from the Jazz bass that is mellow and deep great for soft rock and ballad and the B-15 got really more punch like a P-bass for Classic rock. In comparison my B-8 BBR (again with DR Black Beauty) sound like a Jazz bass with a lot of midrange and treble and it's really thin on the low down. I can't give you an opinion on the B40 as I never try or own one.

Hey MEker, what you write about the B-20 convince me more that the B40-EQ fretless is a neck thru and not a set neck. Talking about B40 I saw that the on in Memphis disappeared from the Craiglist I hope is some one in the gang that get it.

Randy I hope your scar is an Halloween make up to scare the kids because if it isn't you'll have a lot of difficulties to play bass for a while, I hope you'll recover fast.

8. Randy Washburn

Randy Washburn

May 30, 2013
    It's total shoulder replacement #3. Good times.

9. SP_EB4L

Hi Randy!

Gosh! third shoulder, it's surely cost you an arm and an leg :D in USA, here in Canada it cost nothing but if you are living here you still wait for the first one.:rolleyes:

I hope it's the good one this time.

10. SP_EB4L

11. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Heya psp742 -------Nice catch on the X-33---------gonna be fun for you!

Dang, Randy --------------GBS!! (get better soon)---holy crap!

Heya SP_EB4L ------I still need to see another B-40EQ as I hate making a conclusion on 1 sample. Your neck-thru is possible of course, but so is a set-neck. I will say that odds may be in your favor as neck-thrus are on most all the regular and higher end basses (including all -40 basses so far), and bolt-on's are with the lower end market (but are still excellent basses mostly). Just need to see 1 or 2 more. Do not trust Washburn to keep to a standard 100%, despite them all being FINE basses.

12. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    I think I got it. Waiting for an email. Looks just like the one Twocan sold GaryLC back in February, but has a different serial number of course.

13. Wishing you a speedy recovery and hope it's the last time for that rodeo...

On another note, if there's any real beer drinkers out there, I just fell in love with a new one. It's by Founders and called Mango Magnifico. You are all thinking the same thing I thought, Mango? Yeah, but... It's also got habanero. First, you get the fruit, then the heat comes on. and on. It's 10% ABV, 25.4 oz, kinda pricey, but well worth it. It's a sipping beer, so make time to sit down and enjoy it.... Cheers,

Alan

14. psp742

Jun 4, 2012
    Morganville, NJ
    Randy, take care and give yourself time to rest up.. come back at 110%

15. Melonthief

Melonthief

Jan 25, 2013
    It would be interesting to know what you guys use the washburns for. I know a lot of guy collect instruments and a lot of guys play them and everything in between. Please weigh in, what do you do with your Washburn?

16. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    :)

17. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    I have played them in every band I've ever been in plus my 1969+1971 Rics (long gone :bawl: ) and my first bass with first band in end of 1972 and 1973--a 1972 Fender P (white). Now if I can EVER find someone to form a band with here in the Columbus, OH area it will be all Washburns again. Columbus, unfortunately, is a surprisingly dead area for making quality music unless you are into mediocre players playing cheap covers or repetitious "blues" sticking on a 1/3/5 pattern ALL night, which really pisses me off! F'em. And F'me too, I guess.
    Meanwhile, while not a "collector" (too limited financially to chase much)but I TRY to pick one up occasionally--if circumstances permit. But usually, I am a big drooler dammit.

18. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Well, I just withdrew from that nice B-40 in Memphis on Craigslist that SP_EB4L found for us($200 plus shipping--great deal, but...). I have asked for his contact info-----nothing despite another few emails. He said he'd find out the shipping 5 days ago-----nothing.

Hate to take a chance on losing my money. Also said he had it for a long time, but family and college and job made him put bass down a long time ago. But then here is a picture. Does not look like a "married family guy's" bedroom to me unless him and wife are druggies. More like some kid's. Maybe I am TOO leery? I sent another email withdrawing my offer today, this morning. No response. Bummer.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.