1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Washburn Club (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 29, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AGH

AGH

Jun 18, 2013
    Long Island NY
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
    Thank you so much for your kind words! The EMG's sound very transparent, with great mids and highs. Let me post some pics of the serial numbers.

006_zps01703dbd. 015_zps886e0a17.

2. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Thanks, AGH, for the SN's and pictures--WOW--just gorgeous and nice to see your obvious care for them. Your 1982 white Force 4 is the only first-year-of-production Force 4 I have in my reference library! Finally!

PS: man, you take very nice pictures!

3. AGH

AGH

Jun 18, 2013
    Long Island NY
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
    Thanks MEKer! I spent a week figuring out how to post pics to Talkbass! I guess I am a only a little bit surprised to find out that I've been calling my white one an 83 when it's an 82 as memory is a hazy thing. I am more surprised to find out that it is a first year bass! This only adds to my modifiers regret that kind words from you, SB_EB4L, and my new 84 have made fade. Please feel free to hit me up for more pics, as I have shots of differences in tuners and cases etc.

4. SP_EB4L

SP_EB4L Supporting Member

Hi AGH!

MEker was right you're a good bass photographer (and a good modifier also). Just to convince you here is some pictures of my new MBXA (1993) that just arrived from UK and you'll see that I am not as talented as you AGH. So, back to the bass It has Jazz bass Status pick-ups instead of Humbucker as in my MB-8 that give that bass a really better tone, this bass is suitable for any music styles with very good electronics. It's the only Wasburn bass that have a plug in the front instead of in the edge side for many years. The only problem is that the neck was not covered with any finish that make it fragile to climate abuses. I don't know what's wood is made of but surely not swamp ash as it's really heavy but the wood grain is really beautifull and really enhance by the transparent purple finish and the gold plated hardware. It's another model to ad to the Washburn Database.:bassist:

file_zps0095dcc8.
    file_zps2d9b0695.
    file_zps8988dab8.
    file_zps0075d829.
    file_zps24ca125f.

5. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    The MBXA is now on the data list, SP_EB4L! And here is the database listing now on our part 2 of the Washburn Club:
    NOTE: This list is also maintained at the actual database thread itself on post 8, page 1 of http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/what-washburn-bass-do-you-own-database-1021927/

Heres what we have so far---------

WASHBURNS MODELS CURRENTLY OWNED BY TB’ers as of 09DEC2013
    AB-20---bassteban, Turock, Kickass
    AB-30---SP_EB4L
    AB-32 ---iriegnome
    B-2 ---Randy Washburn, ggoat
    B-8 BBR---SP_EB4L
    B-20 Stage---ThudThudThud, Randy Washburn (2), Melonthief, 66Atlas
    B-20-8 Stage---msact
    B-40 ---msact, iriegnome (Daion/Wash proto)
    B-50RS---billgoodwin
    B-60 Bantam (headless)---Ewo
    B-62 Double Neck (headless)---Randy Washburn
    B-70RS---The EH Man, 66Atlas (2),
    B-80 Chicago Series Deep Cut (NAMM SHOW SAMPLE)----GM60466
    B-90 Chicago Series---BlueLine1
    BB-6 ---iriegnome
    BB-14 ---SP_EB4L
    CB-15Z (Zebrawood 5 String)---Randy Washburn
    CB-4OV---SP_EB4L
    DB-30 Prototype---SP_EB4L
    DB40 Dimebag Darrell Signature Model---SP_EB4L
    Force B-10---odineye
    Force B-15 ABT ---SP_EB4L,
    Force B-15 ABT FRETLESS lined--- BlueLine1,
    Force ABT B-30---psp742
    Force 4 ---AGH (2),
    Force 5 ABT---Melonthief, iriegnome
    Force 8---ronaldpbrandt, Ivan Munoz,
    Force 40---MEKer,
    Force 40 BBR---MEKer, Melonthief
    Force 42 (headless)---Kickass
    HBB-4---Carlcaliente
    M-12 ---BoogieZK
    MB-4 ---Randy Washburn (2),
    MB-4 Fretless---Randy Washburn
    MB-5 (5 String)---Randy Washburn
    MB-8---SP_EB4L
    MBXA (Mercury series)---SP_EB4L
    RB-2000--Jbassrockboy
    RB-2502---BluLine1
    RB-4000---SP_EB4L
    SB-40 ---MEKer (2),
    Scavenger---iriegnome
    Taurus T-12 ---Profania bass,
    Taurus T12FL Prototype---SP_EB4L
    Taurus T-14 ---grooker, tabdog, Randy Washburn
    Taurus T-14 Fretless ---BenWhoPlaysBass
    Taurus 24---Staccato, Randy Washburn
    Taurus T-24FL --kerrak
    Taurus T-25 (5 String)---Randy Washburn
    Vulture I ---msact, 66Atlas
    Vulture II ---66Atlas
    WB-66---SP_EB4L
    XB-?? ---Melonthief
    XB-100 ---BenWhoPlaysBass, Randy Washburn
    XB-120---SP_EB4L, Jim Kernan
    XB-125 ---ewe2
    XB-200 ---floridagatorfan
    XB-400 ---Randy Washburn, psp742
    XB-500 ---vbchaos
    XB-600---BlueLine1
    XB-900---SP_EB4L, Super Iridium
    XB-900 PJ Custom Shop---SP_EB4L
    XB-905? Custom shop 5 strings---SP_EB4L
    XS-5 (Axxess series,5 String)---Randy Washburn, BlueLine1, SP_EB4L

64 different models so far!

NOTE:
    1. Some of you own some fine Washburn Guitars. This list will, however, focus on basses.
    2. If you know the model series but not the actual model number, please list it (see XB-?? Owned by Melonthief). I will list them in a similar manner. You might consider posting pics to seee if we can identify the exact model. Lots of experts here.

6. msact

msact

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    I wanted to pass along an update on my B-20-8. Recently I wanted to adjust the neck because the action was off (way to high). I decided to take it to a local Luthier (I have worked with him before and am really happy with his work) to have it adjusted along with some other minor tweaks. It turns that the truss rod is broken. He said he has a tool he uses where he can fix it but he is having a bit of a problem removing some sort of metal plate that he needs to get out of the way. He said once he does this he should be able to fix the truss rod. Maybe there was a reason that I got this thing so cheaply.

7. Randy Washburn

Randy Washburn

May 30, 2013
    Msact. My bro. I'm crushed and deeply saddened. Hope you can get it taken care of. Please keep us posted. This sucks.

8. msact

msact

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    You got it Randy. The guy I took it to is pretty good. I am hoping that he can do something with it.

9. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Heya msact: Now that makes my stomach hurt, msact. All fingers are crossed for you. You know, I can't think that is an insurmountable problem. I mean, they put the "metal plate" in there, so it must be able to come out dammit. :( Keep us posted so we came either be joyful for you :hyper:or commiserate with you, bro:bawl:.

Question for all: We all love the Washburn vintage stuff (78-85). Their strength lies in the mid-rangy area IMHO. And no problem. No bigger fans than we are, for sure. However, what Washburn bass---of whatever year---leans more to the jazz tones with loads of a bit deeper (yet clear) "mwah" tones? I can almost get it with my Force 40 BBR (soapbars)--but I want more. Suggestions?

10. Randy Washburn

Randy Washburn

May 30, 2013

Of mine, I'd go with the T-24 or T-25. You wouldn't think it looking at 'em, but punchier and brighter than any of my others. Also, '92-'94 MB series.

11. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    I will definitely check them out. Know anything about the MB-40?---seem to always be one on eBay.

12. Randy Washburn

Randy Washburn

May 30, 2013
    Don't have one. Sure looks perrrty tho.

13. SP_EB4L

Hi gang!

Here is a old lady in Germany, it's very cheap for now and it finish tomorrow, maybe if your interested the guys could ship outside of Europe, how know?

MEker, I must go now but I answer your question tonight just to put my two penny.

14. SP_EB4L

Hi MEker,

Could you be more specific about the "mwah" that you search for? For me the "mwah" is what you could hear starting at 1:50 in this video and it's coming from a fretless Wahl. Do you have an example of the tone you look at in some music? If it's really a jazz bass tone that you looking for you have plenty of choice as Randy write previously the T24 is a good choice even the Classic bass equiped with the two Jazz pick-up the CB4 (this is the passive one, the CB14 is the active that go an humbucker at the bridge and a Jazz at the neck). Randy is right also about the Mercury serie (MB) but maybe not all the configurations. The MB-5 (an active) is equiped with two tilted jazz pick-ups that are very punchy and it's the same for the Axxes serie XS-5, but the 4 stringed MB-4 and XS-4 have PJ configuration that is more similar to the ABT B15. Personnaly for a pure jazz bass tone I prefer my CB4. The MB-8 (this comment is also good for the XS-8 and the Bantam serie XB800) could do the trick for you as it got a realy jazz bass tone but as it's equiped with a very nice active electronics that give this bass a wider range of tonalities that could be suitable for funky to prog rock (as Chris Squire tone) but no good for motown sound. That is why I prefer my new MBXA because it's more articulate on the low end and deep tones that make this bass more suitable for classic rock, indy rock and even for prog rock (like Camel band from the pre Colin bass era as he mostly use Wahl and Zon bass). Maybe you could consider the new Stu Hamm serie? If you had listened the video that I had posted some weeks ago or you could have a good idea of their tonalities.

Now about the MB-40, it's surely a good bass but I have no idea of it's sound capabilities. There is only one thing with this bass that make me a bit nervous, that's the neck, I am not sure if is coated or not, all the bass that I have that the neck was on bare wood was fragile to climate change and are moving like a dog tail with the change of humidity and I got to adjust the neck frequently, as I never got a MB-40 in my hands I could tell for sure about this bass but maybe you could ask the seller.

Despite all that I have mentioned previously, the string choice is one of the most (if not the most) critical factor that could give you the tone that you looking for, as for your amp choice or the stomp boxes that could tune the tone of any bass to the level of a Wahl or a Zon bass for fairly less money if you coupled all this gizmo to a good and confortable Washburn. For my part, I don't like the gizmo and I prefer to get real tone of a bass and at the limit I play with the strings choice to modify the tone of a bass.

That's my two cents and I hope it give you some ideas and don't forget to include a piece of music to help us to get a better idea of what's you looking for.

15. SP_EB4L

Hi Msact,

It's never a good new when found that the neck can't be adjusted but used bass are like used car and they are full of surprise. I had a similar problem with the XB-905 that I bought last spring, it was cheap, it was unique and the truss rod was broken and the neck was curved like Bobby Orr hockey stick pallet, so I had to invest and my luthier had to remove the fingerboard to change the truss rod (he also put two reinforcement carbone rod) and it cost me near 300$ for the job but it's worth all the penny that I paid for, now this bass is a jewel and that's the best 5 strings I ever played and it's still unique and even cheap as it worth probably near 3000$ when It was build at Washburn Custom Shop. The morality of this story is that even if you got to invest in this bass, it will be more priceless and you'll still be the happy player of this bass. So, now I hope your case is not as severe as mine and cost you less than I had to invest in mine.

16. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Heya SP_EB4L.......That bass in Germany is a Scavenger. I think "E" bass just means "electric" to the vendor.
    My computer is not loading YouTube so I am screwed. But, think of Jamiroquois playing "Music of the Mind". I could get better examples IF MY FRIGGING COMPUTER WOULD WORK! :atoz:

17. SP_EB4L

Thanks MKer for the reference, I listened the tune on youtube. So you need a 5 strings active bass as you need the B strings to get deep tone at the same times as the "cling-clang" tone of a funky bass and that's confirm that a MB-5 or a XS-5 could do the trick well. I think that Paul Turner use flat wound strings or at least halfround or pressure wound but not round wound and that is why he could get some "mwah" on a fretted bass, it's sure the string choice is really important maybe some Dan Markley Helix HD or Rotosound 77 hybrid (0.040 0.060 0.080 0.100). As I write before, I couldn't tell about the MB-40 because I never heard it but as it's not a 5 strings it's probably can't give you deep tone and funky clear voice at the same time. I forgot to mention the Bantam BB5! If I base my judgment on my BB4 it's a real nice bass with a wide tone range but the neck is wider than the one on the MB-5 and the XS-5 (personnaly I prefer a wider neck for a five strings like on my XB-905 and the width of the neck is the thing that I dislike the most on my XS-5).

18. psp742

psp742 Washburn above others.

Jun 4, 2012
    Morganville, NJ
    MeKer, you forgot to mention my 86' Washburn Force ABT B-30 MiJ (Kasuga) metallic red with original Washburn Flight case.

B-30incase_zps95d56977.

B-30ncase_zpse9f7a845.

ReplacedStrukturedomeknobs_zps5f534226.

B-30headstock_zpsbf2c0785.

B-30serial_zpsb02b2e9c.

95' Washburn Bantam XB400
    DSC_5592_zpse8f24a3b.

DSC_5594_zps1b887978.

19. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Heya SP_EB4L..........I'll take a look at the XB's also then. Thanks!

Heya psp742....Sweeeeet! How would you describe their tones? I added them onto the database list also. Great!

20. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    If you have not added your Washburn bass yet to the list, please do so. I know there are other owners of Scavengers, B-60 headlesses, Vultures, and other basses that are not on the database yet. We all look forward to adding you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.