1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Washburn Club (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 29, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Hey MEKer, you can add my 2000 Washburn AB-32 bass. S#01040001. Prototype that was never reissued. I will post the pic tomorrow

2. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    62752_158366864191614_100000549042274_404588_957792_n_zps4da4e847.

3. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I sold it. Elderly had it listed for sale, but sold it before I could buy it back. The very same one I should have never sold. Beautiful bass it was

4. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    OK--going to try and get this 2004 XB-102 bass on eBay. I just wonder about the neck pickup placement. What, if any, impact will it have on tone? I have never had a bass with the neck pup that far back. What do you all think? I'd love to finally have a passive that will not set me back a whole bunch and this may be it, huh?

Attached Files:

5. SP_EB4L

SP_EB4L Supporting Member

Good evening MEker,

Nice quilted green bass, about your questioning I see no problems with the PJ configuration of this bass as it got the most usual setup. The position of the P pick-up is just in the sweet spot and corresponding to the one on Fender Precision. I got a Force ABT B-15 and a DB-30 (prototype) that is PJ configured the same way and it sound real good. The configuration that you had with the Stage and the Vulture series is unusual with a P pick-up near the neck pocket. Unfortunately, I never try one of those and I can't compare to my B-15 or my DB-30. I could only recommend you some DR Coated RoundWound strings like the Black Beauties or the Silver Stars, those strings always give me the tone that I looking for on the PJ bass. Another comments, I really like the neck of my XB125 that have a similar neck with 20 frets and a wider neck than most of my other Washburn (more like a P bass) but that is slender than the one found on a real Precision. The feeling of this neck is more like the one of the Taurus serie. The only caveat with this instrument could be the pick-ups by themself as the XB102 is an entry level model they could be a bit ordinary in comparison to the one found in a higher level models.

6. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Yes, I am a little suspicious of the pickups being cheap at this level of bass. But I definitely DO want a skinny neck and really, I think I want to get away from P/J 's as ALL my basses have them except my 1984 Force 40 BBR and my 2007 Langcaster (with custom pickups). I think I will look for something with smooth, mwah, jazz pickups instead.

7. SP_EB4L

Hi MEker,

I made a mistake in my last post, I mean an XB-120 and not an XB-125 that have a similar neck as the XB-102 that you had been looking for informations. Here is some neck dimension of my bass that have a JJ or a HH configuration and that could give you the "mwah" that you are looking for, I hope it could help.

First is the dimensions of the XB-120 (XB-102) neck (PJ active pick-ups):

1 inch 40/64 (42 mm)
    2 inches 17/32 (64 mm) 20 frets

1993 MB-8 (HH active status pick-ups):

1 inch 13/32 (40mm) nut
    2 13/32 (61.3 mm) 24 frets

1985 B-8 BBR (HH passive pick-ups):

1 inch 10/16 (41,35 mm)
    2 inches 25/64 (59 mm) 22 frets

2004 DB40 Dimebag Darrell Signature Model (JJ passive pick-ups):

1 inch 21/32 (42,2 mm) nut
    2 inches 15/32 (62,7 mm) 24 frets

2007 CB-4OV (JJ passive pick-ups):

1 inch 9/16 (40mm) nut
    2 inches 7/16 (65,0 mm) 24 frets

RB4000 (HH active pick-ups):

1 inch 9/16 (40mm) nut
    2 inches 9/16 (61,8 mm) 24 frets

BB14/BK (HH active pick-ups):

1 inch 9/16 (40mm) nut
    2 inches 17/32 (64,3 mm) 24 frets

MBXA (JJ active status pick-ups):

1 inch 1/2 (40mm) nut
    2 inches 17/32 (60,6 mm) 24 frets

8. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Thank you, SP_EB4L. That is very interesting!! Gotta love that B-8 BBR!

9. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie

Nov 28, 2009
    Hello Washburn Club,
    I am on the edge of buying a Mercury Series Mb4 P/J deep blue sparkle. Any info on these would be appreciated. Has a nice sound and feel. I used to own a ABT Force made by Uncle Matt in Japan for Washburn and loved it. Was just wondering if the MB4 is of the same Quality as the Forces were. I liked the fretboard on this one so I will probably pick it up today or tomorrow.Thanks.

10. SP_EB4L

Hi wolfmancharlie,

I got a Force ABT B-15 that got the same electronics that you found on a SX-4 or a MB-4 and I really like the sound of this bass, it's one of my preferred and it's stringed with DR Black Beauty that surely help greatly for the sound that I like (not too much clanky on the high and with a precise deep tone on the low). I got a MB-8 and a MBXA that are different animals for the pick-ups and electronics as they are equipped with Status humbucker (MB-8) and Status Jazz (MBXA) but I could told you about the feel. The neck is thinner on the AXXES (SX) and Mercury (MB) series (1 inch 13/32 (40mm) at the nut and 2 13/32 (61.3 mm) at the 24 fret) than in Force ABT serie (1 inch 21/32 (42,1 cm) at the nut and 2 inches 6/16 (60 mm) at the 22 frets) but they are confortable as my fingers are not too large. The body is not too much lighweight, I did not like the tone and the feel of bass that are too much featherweight, so for me it's good. I now that RandyWashburn have several MB bass, maybe he could give you more help than me, let's see if he'll reply....

11. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie

Nov 28, 2009
    SP EB4L,
    Thanks for the fast response. For some reason this bass seems to be calling for me to buy her. Must have been the feel of the neck in my hands when I tried her out last week but I will probably run out and pick her up this afternoon. I tend to like the older basses the best. they just seem to have better wood and sound to me. Thanks again.

12. SP_EB4L

Wolfmancharlie,

You'll surely not regret your move but Washburn build some more recent bass that are not too bad at all and are sold for almost nothing as the XB-900 with the Baseline6 pick-up. The feel and the tone is incredible for the price as you could find some for 300$ or less, but they are lighter in weight as the one that I got are in swamp ash (I got three). I got some new century Washburn that are not bad also, a Taurus, an Idol bass, two Classic bass and a Bantam BB4 that are great for Jazz fusion, progrock and metal but not all the model are as good as the 80' and 90' bass for the classic rock. Finally, I found a 2009 prototype called DB-30 that as good as old stuff for classic rock with passive PJ and an heavy alder body, it's my preferred Washburn for all years or series taken together, simple, solid as rock and effective (as usual, it's stringed with Black Beauties).

13. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Hiya wolfmancharlie-------yeah, sounds like you'll get a nice bass! And Sp_EB4L is the man for stats on a lot of these basses.
    Hey, do you have a number here with us? And I'd like to ad your new bass (any other Washburns?) onto our data base of owned Washburns also. Don't forget to treat us to some pictures!

14. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie

Nov 28, 2009
    MEKer,
    No number yet but I will soon be after one. Wont be able to check her out better till tomorrow so Ill get back with you then. Got busy with life stuff today.I have had a couple of Washburn basses but don't have any at present. Probably tomorrow. Ive been playing and learning for over 40 years so I have ran across some great ones. There aren't any stores nearby that sell Washburn but when one shows up, used I always check them out. We shall see . Another player has this one in on consignment for 250, sounds like a good price and would be a nice addition to the herd.

15. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Good deal. Looking forward to it then.

16. SP_EB4L

Hi gang!

Here is maybe a good deal at GC Appleton (Grand Chute, WI), just enter the item number 109744488 in the Keyword blank and a description of a nice White Scavenger bass will appear. I think it's not far away from where you live MEker, maybe you could be interested?

17. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Well, as usual, I emailed the store for the serial number! Looks pretty sharp, doesn't it? Thank you for the alert, SP_EB4L!

18. msact

msact

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    Well my Luthier said he can't fix the truss rod without removing the fingerboard. I am pretty bummed about this. I am a bit up in the air about what I am going to do here. He said it would cost about 200-250 to remove the fingerboard and fix the truss rod. This really sucks.

19. hey, just got a little more information on my bass and just wanting to show it off and maybe get a Washburn bass club number and cause a couple drool puddles as well. Haha.

so..... from what i understand it's a bass prototype based on the either HB-35 or HB-50 guitar. Active p/j pu's, Birdseye maple top and mahogany body and neck. Some people talked about very dark stained rosewood fingerboards, but i believe this to be Ebony. No serial numbers anywhere.

I know everyone says this, but the pictures reaaly don't do this instrument justice......simply beautiful.

thanks for looking
    Carl

Attached Files:

20. Melonthief

Melonthief

Jan 25, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.