1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Official Washburn Club (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. SP_EB4L

SP_EB4L Supporting Member

Heya MEKer!

Oh! Oh! I hope this is not the approach of the memorial day that gives you the blues. Since you were in Vietnam this day is certainly ambiguous for you. Monday, my thoughts go to you and those who have not had the chance to see this spring 2015. Your soul will be able to heal itself by the presence of those who love you around you.:)

2. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Oh no, nothing like that.heck, despite all the hard times there, all my wounds, I miss it tremendously sometimes, glad I was there and wish I could go back in time. My two two years over there may have been the best years of my life in some ways (except for some painful hospital time). But thanks for the nice thoughts! Have a great weekend, buddy.
    Yard work mostly for me (which I enjoy).
    I think I will go eat a bowl of Corn Flakes and wonder about what Randy is doing. I bet he likes cereal too! LOL

SP_EB4L likes this.
  3. SP_EB4L

I also think about Randy, we miss him on the thread and his humour that wipe out our blues. I prefer pop corn at this time…

1538594_2838f42a0bbc55aaa794458ea8ab7a0e.

psp742 and MEKer like this.
  4. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    :roflmao:

5. SP_EB4L

Heya MEKer,

Here is some Washburn job for you, an old lady as you like it…

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

MEKer likes this.
  6. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    SWEET! Missing 2 speed pots and an SB-40EQ cannot be a 1981. I am calling for the serial number. Cannot see it the nameplate is EQ or not. It looks more like larger 4-digits of an SB-40 than the smaller 6-digits of an SB-40EQ. I'll check it out. Thank you for the finding of this. Always VERY cool to see.

7. SP_EB4L

You're welcome! I also had a doubt about the EQ designation of this bass.

8. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    And, SP_EB4L, what do you think this one is? It is at the GC in New Orleans, LA

• [​IMG]
    Close

9. SP_EB4L

I think it's really overpriced as I paid for mine (a stone wash trans blue) 300$ CDN in pristine condition. Otherwise, all the XB-900 with the Seymour Duncan Baseline pup have great tone and and it's a great pleasure to play with. Furthermore, they are rare bird since a year so maybe it's why it's so expensive. Look at mine…

100_0052.JPG 100_0056.JPG 100_0054.JPG 100_0059.JPG 100_0053.JPG

BlueLine1 and MEKer like this.
  10. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Anyone catch the SB-40EQ on GC used? $350 seems to be a good price

11. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Thanks for the verification of the XB-900, SP_EB4L.
    And iriegnome, yes, SP_EB4L alerted us to the SB-40EQ a few posts up.

Here is the deal on it (I just talked to Jim there at the store about it):
    1. serial number is 821246............correct for the SB-40EQ
    2. it DOES say SB-40EQ on truss rod cover although hard to see in the picture
    3. it DOES have black anodized cavity covers....correct for the SB-40EQ

Too bad that
    a. the battery wires and battery snap caps (to put in two 9V batteries) are missing, the battery cavity has only one wire hanging out of it.
    b. oddly enough, the mini-switch only has two positions! It should have three: up, middle(off) and down. Jim says the switch mechanism seems fine so it looks like a factory mistake. So the switch can only do on and off, OR High push or Low push on the brilliance function (probably 800-900HZ) so it is on all the time. No problem there actually, I always keep mine on anyhow, because I like the extra cutting brilliance it gives and it enhances distortion when I use that pedal. But that is just me. YMMV.

SP_EB4L likes this.
  12. SP_EB4L

Here is a nice cream Force 40 with PJ pups, I found it on reverb. It got a bridge replacement with a Badass and I can't see any serial number. The price is is not the best deal i town but it's not in bad shape.

eftjnxln7wc70bco4z0z.

13. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    That is very pretty. The thing on the back of the headstock is a store's insignia, and no SN is visible (which we know happens sometimes).
    That mini-switch is a flat metal switch, which could be factory even though mostly they were round. No big deal.
    But I am amazed that the seller calls the mini-switch an active/passive switch. ***!? Also the little cover plate over the truss rod cover is something I think I have never seen before. Very interesting.
    At first I think maybe it had a paint job. I don't know.
    I think I will call and talk to seller about the mini-switch and SN and paint, to see what he says.
    Yes, it is over-priced from what we know Washburns (lucky for us) usually sell for.

WOW---just working with my bass files and after years and years looking for them, I have files on 6 SB-40's and 10 SB-40EQ basses so far. But I know a red SB-40 (making a total of 7 found) used to be in Washington state, but ended in the trash according to the owner after it was used for years and with VERY much abuse. I talked to him several years ago.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    SP_EB4L likes this.
  14. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    There is a Taurus T-25 for sale near me at a pawn shop. I like it but don't want another fiver. Well, not entirely true, but I don't like it as much as they do, $379.

15. SP_EB4L

Hi gang!

There is a TBer who want to trade his SHB65, yes! An Stu Hamm Series SHB60 (the one with the Jazz pup at the bridge and the MM at the neck with the piezzo and the funky controls) but with 5 strings. According to the description from the place where he bought it, the fiver was produced but didn't reach the market before Stu cheat Washburn for Warwick and that's why now they appears (SHB35 and SHB65) sporadically from different sellers who bought bunch of basses for discount. Go at his thread to take a peak at his bass or at World Music Supply web site to take a peak at the natural mat SHB65.

unnamed-4-.
    [​IMG]

16. SP_EB4L

Good evening Razman, if you don't want another fiver, this four strings one is a deal and if you had already tried the T-25, you could compare to the T14NM with the single ABT soap bar pups, if you like the tone of your B105 and your MB-5 you surely could like the one of the T14NM even if the later is a passive bass and for 150$, it's really a steal.

BlueLine1 likes this.
  17. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Thanks for the tip. I did see that one already but a sixer is next on the radar - and a ways down on the priority list.

18. SP_EB4L

Good luck to find a good deal on a sixer!

19. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Thanks SP_EB4L, for now I'm really enjoying what I got! Practiced on the Mercury series last night at home, haven't had a band practice in months but can't wait to break it in good.

BlueLine1 likes this.
  20. Hi there, the guys from the Washburn forum linked me here. I'm looking anything anyone can tell me about my Force 40. I bought it second-hand in 1989 from a shop in Plymouth, UK for £350. She was my first proper bass and I absolutely loved how slim her neck was (and still do). I've never actually known anything about her though. She seems to have the same body, P/J pups and neck of the active SB-40 but with the Tele-style headstock of the Force 40 - and she looks like the Force 40 from the catalogue but has the aforementioned P/J setup instead of what's pictured. The Blue Book description describes my bass to the tee and dates it at '83 but Washburn say six figure serial numbers are late '80s, which would put it at '88. My best guess is she's a standard MIJ Force 40 but can't confirm that.

If anyone could tell me more about her story, I'd be grateful. I'm not so worried about worth; she was a battle bass, so she's dinged up, has a nasty buckle rash and an intonation problem that is probably down to a twist in the neck. I still love her to bits though, so she's not going anywhere - I'd just like to complete my connection to her, I guess. Cheers. :)

Oh, also, her one claim-to-fame is that she was once played by Captain Sensible during an impromptu appearance at an Eddie Tenpole gig in our local backwater pub.

[​IMG]

tumblr_npj4xr8imk1qkh20jo2_1280.

tumblr_npj4xr8imk1qkh20jo3_1280.

tumblr_npj4xr8imk1qkh20jo4_1280.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BlueLine1 and SP_EB4L like this.