Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the official "Where did speddling go?" thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by James Hart, Jul 12, 2004.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :ninja: All right, I did it.

I think changing my avatar to the Manga character the Mrs drew of me (I'll upload the full size if anyone wants to check it out, she did one of each of us last winter).... gave me the push.

On Talk Bass I've discarded my online persona and am now just me :bag:

I feel naked :eek:

2. Whoa, what happened? I would have kept the old av a bit just so people could get used to your new name, but at least this post accomplishes that. Everyone's putting their real name, and I can only wonder how much longer I'll keep this name.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I switched avatars over the weekend... I've been planning the name change for over a year, I just never cared enough to PM Paul to change it.

4. I guess Im going to have to get used to this, speddl...James. Mind if I call you Jimmy Dean? :D

5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    That's such a relief... So many times I almost referred to you endearingly as "Sped" for short! :eek: :rollno: :D

6. Seems like Tim Cole changed to his real name...then I did it...then everyone did it. Welcome to the real name movement.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  8. Unless it's one of those "Why did their parents name them this" names.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :D

This is Sped...
    [​IMG]
    he was born in my bathroom and almost died because it took us 12 hours till we got the mom to actually nurse the poor guy. To this day he is still a little off.

For those who care/are curious...

My online name was given to me by my wife almost 9 years ago. When we met, she was already a hardcore gamer... and owned most every US release SNES title out. I, though kickass in pinball, suck at most things Mario and SNES :eyebrow:

She affectionately refered to me as her Nintendo Sped... sped meaning in local dialect "one who rides the short bus". In a spastic fit of Street Fighter (she liked to let herself get beat till I thought I was about to win and start doing that foot thing for 30 seconds till I was dead)... she figured I was even more of / less then a sped, I was a "speddling"

:rolleyes:

Gotta love her :D

Here is the pictures she did last winter after her addiction to www.megatokyo.com was fully rooted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:bassist:

10. oOoO!!! That's a beard...At first from such a small picture I though you were like, part-pig or something. It's a very nice picture. :)

11. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I also thought that his wife considered him a pig.

12. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Didja get my new email, we are all changing all the time ..

O

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Yes I did! Thanks, I updated my address book but never got a moment to send you a note to say so.

You move or just change/upgrade you internet?

14. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I, too, thought your wife drew you as a pig.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :eyebrow: I can see the reasoning... but can't picture the pig. Sure the color is a little shifted to reds due to the crap scanner I used to get them in the computer...

Being partly Irish, I've got the typical (or at least common) Dark Brown Hair on my head but Orange hair on my face

but she doesn't see me as a pig (mostly)

she sees me as a DOG :eek:

16. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    The ears are a big part of it. In the small pic, the beard looks like a snout, not a beard. That is the other big part of it. Combined with the shape of the head, how the sides come together to form an elongated nose, you got yerself a pig!

17. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Of course, now that I know it is a beard, and not a pig, I no longer see the pig. That is probably why you don't see the pig, because you know what the pic really is.

18. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Ok Ok.... I think I can get used to this "James" thing.

But this is a heads up to everyone. See below this post?? Not that anybody really knew me before or even cared right now, but I *USED* to be hunter585. Anyone that remembered me as that know that I AM hunter585 because its in my signature.

All you real-namers, please, do us a favor--put your former name in your signature!!!