The oh so familiar "should I keep it" dillema...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aussiephoenix, Feb 22, 2005.

1. :help:
    Hi guys,
    Im kinda having a little dillema... I currently have my BassCollection sb465 for sale, though last night while watching tv, I picked it up for the first time in ages, and played it for a while... and I really liked its feel... and now im doubting if I should sell it at all... :(

here's the details:

Bass type 5 string fretted
    Neck join Bolt-On
    Neck construction 3 Piece Maple Neck
    Fingerboard 24 Frets, Ebony
    Body 2 piece: Soft Maple with a Padauk top
    Finish Natural Oiled
    Pickups 2 Active PUs "SGC J5"
    Hardware GOTOH Golden Hardware
    Electronics Active 2 Band (30526TD)

The strong point of this bass is really the neck. I absolutely love it, very confortable., the body is nice and small, very well taken care of.

Never the less it does have its problems,
    the weak point is really the electronics, the preamp sux, the pus I think arent too bad, with a nice preamp, I think that it would make a huge diference...
    now, the other thing is I've taken it to 2 diferent guys to do setups, one did a piss-poor job and complained that the neck had some frets lower than others,
    another one did a good setup on it, but complained that the intonation was hard to get right... that he really needed to mess with the gotoh bridge to get it right. (though he did do a really good job on it...)
    I would check it myself, but I dont really have that good an eye for these things...

Im torn, I dont know if I should keep it or heed the warning signs and just buy another 5str active later on and hope that I dont regret selling it...
    What do you guys think?
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You need to find a good luthier who can do a 'real' setup for you! Secondly, pups and pre-amps can always be upgraded. If you have to send it off to a real luthier (and there are many), I recommend you do so. Visit the Luthier's Forum and ask questions and locations of (hopefully) local luthiers in your area. That looks like a very nice bass and I'd hate for you to sell her and regret it later.
  3. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Nostalgia is a powerful thing. That's part of the reason I keep my old Ibanez 5er, even though I almost never use it (I don't like the neck, but it was the only decent budget 5er available to me way back when.) How can I think of getting rid of the bass where I played my first gig, my first paying gig, and wrote some cool songs on?

Is this Bass Collection bass your only bass, or do you own others? Because maintaining multiple basses is a financial investment and you have to decide for yourself whether your nostalgia is strong enough for you to maintain multiple basses.

Though having your old bass as a knockabout bass can be handy when you don't want to take your nice one to a gig.
  4. Dincrest, no, I also have a New Jazz 60's which is the reason I havent picked this one up in a while.

IM considering keeping it because of the completely diferent tone, punch etc... might get a nice preamp to put in it and get it serviced properly by some old mean luthier. :D (why are they always cranky bastards?)
  5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Ok, you violated the first rule of bass selling: Never play an instrument you have for sale. ;)
  6. hehe :smug: