1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The ohm's thing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RJRoper, Feb 15, 2001.

1. I know this has been a topic before and I've read alot of good info relating to amps and the ohm's requirements that amps have. I was hoping someone could address some question I have.
    The amp I use is a Fender BXR 200 and the spec says 4 ohm min. on the back panel. The cab is a Fender 410 rated at 8 ohm, so far no problem. I just a picked up a used Marshall cab with one 15 in. speaker. This speaker is rated at 8 ohms also, as I understand it I could plug both cabs into the amp with no problems. OK here's my concern when I checked the Marshall Speaker with an ohms meter it read 6.5 ohm. Using that number I would be running less than the 4 ohms min. that the amp is rated for. Is this correct?

RJR

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    It'll work just fine. The cabinets' impedance is nominally 8 ohms. This is what the manufacturer uses as a representative value. Impedance has two components: resistance and reactance. An ohmmeter only measures the resistance component. The reactance varies with frequency, and adds to the resistance. Your ohmmeter is essentially measuring the DC (meaning 0 Hz.) impedance, which is the resistance. A reading of 6.5 ohms resistance is very typical for an 8-ohm nominal impedance speaker.

- Mike

3. Thanks Mike, I appreciate the help.