Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The O'Jays - For The Love Of Money

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by agyeman, Jul 1, 2001.

1. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Anyone seen a bass tab for this song. (no posts about how **** tab is please ;))

How do you get that sound? I know he uses a pick, but what effects does he use, if any?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Anthony Jackson (actually everyone on the track) is playing through an Envelope filter, for that phasing effect.

3. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Thanks for that. Now all i need is the tab :)

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    tab is bad, m'kay?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist).

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    No signs in tab for that kind of funk feel...

(me neither)

I think Anthony was using a phase shifter instead of an envelope filter/follower. Could be wrong, but back then, the phaser was all the rage.

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    ...and just for the record, you wouldn't want to be around if somebody asked Anthony Jackson "where can I get the tab for that".

It'd be Kung Fuqua'd times 10...

7. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I'd go with the phase shifter suggestion. That's what it sounds like to me. Also - the riff uses a lot of muted or false notes. I've never done "tab", but I'm not sure how you'd show that. Best thing for your ears and your skills is to pick it off the recording by ear. There aren't many different pitches - as I recall, the riff's complexity is mostly in its rhythm and the muting (I doubt tab shows these things very well).
    - Mike

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    If you count the 2 octave D's, there are 4 different notes, it's all in the rhythm.

Oh, and it a phaser.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    A Maestro Phase shifter. Noisy as hell but at the time cool as ...

10. Christ's sake! Why is transcription treated as a state secret? Dude probably just wants to know what notes are in the riff and will figure out the rest from the record. I don't know, but from memory and the hint that it's in D, it's something like
    DD DD CC CBCB BCBCBCD

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day.
    Teach him how to fish and he'll eat forever.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    No offense but is he asking the question because he cannot hear what the bass is doing or is he trying to find out what effect to use to get that sound?

c-ba55 has laid out the basic notes. It's actually a pretty simple line. It's the timing that makes the line...will tab help?

13. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I worked it out the rift:

G ---------------------------------------------------------
    D -------x11-11--x9--x9--x9x--x9--x9x--x9x--x9x--9x--8-9-11
    A ---------------------------------------------------------
    E --9--9---------------------------------------------------

The x's are not in the right place as it about the timing of the notes.

Is this right do you think?

14. Hey jazzbo... about that old saying... the way i heard it was
    give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day...
    teach a man to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer... ha ha

any way, that riff should be easy to pick out, just listen to the song a bunch of times, and trust your ears.
    eddie

15. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    If you are referring to teaching him how to play by ear, I must give my opinion: Ear training takes time, just like when you learned to read. You see the word and then you hear it and hopefully, you put the two together to know how to say that word. When someone is first starting out on the bass (or the guitar, or whatever instrument they may be starting out on), I find it hard to believe that they can "force" themselves to hear the subtle differences in the different notes just by listening. Help the guy out and answer his question so hopefully, while he's playing the tab, he can associate a particular note with the tone that goes with it. Tablature is a perfectly legit way to learn a song! How many people would have taken the time to pick up an instrument if there was no such thing as tab? That doesn't make them wrong, ya buncha anti-tab Fascists.