Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The O'jays

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by byshopnyte, Mar 28, 2004.

1. byshopnyte

byshopnyte

Mar 28, 2004
    hi all hope someone can help me. I have looked all over the web for "for the love of money" by the o'jays and cant find it tabbed anywhere does anyone know it. :ninja: its a real sweeeeet bass line.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The main lick, I think it's D, is just two notes, it's all about the rhythm/playing with dead notes AND A PICK. Pick hater or no, this song requires a pick. The only notes are...

A|-5--| G|--7-| G|---5--|

Sorry for the lazy tab, but for such a rhythmic song, tab is pointless.

(Is it in D? I've never played with a recording?)

3. rquendun

rquendun

Aug 21, 2005
    there's also a bit that goes on the A string:

D, A, C#, A, C, C

and an almost reverse of that, walkup thing that goes back to the above lick

A A B A C A C# A D

But I'm also working on the timing of this one... it's kinda challenging on the main lick - not so much the stuff I posted here

Enjoy...

4. The September 2005 issue of Bass Player magazine has it in it. :)

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and can be pulled off fingerstyle, IMO.

If you read Jackson's comments about his inspiration for that line-the funky picking hand of James Brown's guitarist...the same concept can be used on bass.

I used to play in this '80s R&B/Top-40 band; the guitarist was a "Rock" guy who could solo all night long & put chills on down your spine...he couldn't play a Funky rhythm though, to save his life. So, many a rehearsal hour was spent with me watching our drummer teaching him how to keep his time-
    The picking hand stays in constant up/down motion...
    In 16th note phrasing:
    Down = "1"
    Up = "e"
    Down = "&"
    Up = "a"

I had this feeling that I was next, so I beat our drummer to the punch-
    Index finger = "1"
    Middle = "e"
    Index = "&"
    Middle = "a"

I muted the notes I didn't want to play.

Anyway, this technique works for something like Jackson's O'Jays' line + "Barbary Coast"(which is transcribed in the same issue of Bass Player).

6. ryla

ryla

Jun 17, 2004
    auckland new zealand
    can anyone scan the transcription out of sept bassplayer issue for me pleeze, just cant get it here in little ol' new zealand.

7. labgnat

labgnat Banned

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    sorry about dragging up such an old thread, but it's better than making a new one.

What is the effect on this song? anyone with a complete tab of this song?