Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The old bassist for Saves the Day

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Faddy, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Faddy

Faddy

Jun 8, 2003
    I believe this bassist has since the left last summer..

But his licks and lines were solid lines...you dont find these much around melodic punk bands...just wondering if anyone else knows about him. He sounds like the bassist for Pennywise alot...

2. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    I can't contribute to this thread, really. But I love 'Freakish'.
    The bass on that track is excellent too, great tone.
    What bass was that? Stingray?

3. TheListPunk

TheListPunk Guest

Feb 2, 2002
    Topeka, Kansas
    Every time I see Eben D'Amico he's playing a Jazz bass. So, I'd think that's what he uses on the Stay What You Are album. He has great licks. I like him a lot better than their old one. His name slips my mind.

josh

4. Yes, correct, Eben D' Amico used jazz basses to record Stay What You Are and In Reverie. The previous album, Through Being Cool, was recorded with a Stingray. I like his jazz bass tone (and his playing on those albums) much better, personally. As to the original topic, he has been out of the band for quite a while. I personally prefer Eben D' Amico's playing, though the original bassist certainly wasn't bad.

5. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I've always seen him with Fender P basses during all their shows, I guess he likes those live?

Saves the Day is a kick ass band, their style has changed a lot since they first got together.

6. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    My fav album is Stay What You Are, the main reason being the kick-ass bass lines :) . I agree that the Jazz bass tone is much better. Through Being Cool is okay, and the newest album just plain sucks... IMO, of course.

7. Sean McGrath, former bass player for Saves The Day, Hands Tied, Mouthpiece and The Alps has lost his battle with intestinal cancer after a 2-year struggle. He was 28. Sean played with the Saves The Day for two years, helping craft their debut Can’t Slow Down, departing during the development of Through Being Cool in early 1999. After leaving the band, Sean took a behind-the-scenes role in the music industry with a day job at a major music entertainment company. He also showed his comedic side at night with improvisational comedy training from the renowned troupe Chicago City Limits.

McGrath passed away Friday in his home with the company of family and friends.

Maybe that's the old one you're thinking of? RIP.

8. ryan_adelphi

ryan_adelphi

Aug 21, 2006

If you like good bass tones/ sick bass lines, In Reverie is where it's at. No one gave it a chance because they decided to mature a bit more, and their target audience (mid teens) can't handle change.