Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The old Beetles Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Thor, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

No, not the fab 4, the cars.

[Split from the 'Which was your first Amp, old guys thread ...]

I literally did this. My g/f's '74 Super Beetle
    snapped a gas pedal to carb cable, at the carb, back on frigid Xmas day in 1977 in Newport RI.

It was running, but I could'nt accelerate. She had one of those steering wheel covers, so I unlaced it, and tied the lacing to the carb lever. I routed the string to the window, and drove home over the Newport Bridge by pulling on the string to give it gas.

I thought I was the only one, but I guess not!
    :D

Any other old Beetle war stories?

2. It wasn't a Beetle, but I did the same thing with a Jeep CJ4 once when a bunch of us guys went 4-wheelin back up in the mountains. Busted the throttle linkage. So went cut a hole in the dash, threaded some parachute cord through, and pulled the gass that way. We also tied a loop on the end, which we put over the gear shift. First CJ4 ever with cruise control!!:D

Rock on
    Eric

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    In a pinch a shoelace will work too.

Never owned a Beetle, but have played "MacGyver" plenty of times on the side of the road with the junk I drive. You'd be amazed what one can fix with Vise Grips, duct tape and a Swiss Army knife.

4. Not really inventive, but I've been pushin' one of my friends Beetle one or two times, because it wouldn't start.

BTW, who has the Guiness Record of the most people in a Beetle? I think my friend tossed seven people in his (including himself).

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I don't have any Beetle stories to share, but damn Ombudsman, you're looking hott today!

:D

6. :D

7. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    Back in '78 I was living in Minneapolis and I got called to play rhythm guitar at a Moose Lodge. I had borrowed a friend's Beetle for some reason or another and was driving around when two things happened. First, I found out that the gig started that night instead of the next week so I had to hustle home and get ready. The second event was a Minnesota downpour that lasted for quite a while.

A Beetle driven at highway speeds in HEAVY rain starts to hydroplane in the full hovercraft sense of the word. Man that was hairy! I did get home and switched vehicles so that I drove to the gig in my 4x4 F250 pickup. It was over 25 years ago but I can still remember that white knuckled ride over I-494 in a squirming, dancing and sometimes floating Beetle. BTW, I got a Squareback as a second car shortly there after. It was the best gig car I ever owned.

8. We had 2 ancient beetles when i was a bebe, one went on fire while we were in it, that was great fun! All safe though :) The other just gave up after about 5 years. Good times...