The old can 'o worms ( Cab spec's )

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Danm, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    My new rig is a 400 watt 2 x 12 combo which I absolutely love!!!!! But I want a bit more speaker area ( not that it needs is ) Have decided to get a 2x10 box to sit on top of the amp so I talked to the guys who sold it to me & I have 2 main options...

A 200 watt 2x10 with Celestion Speakers ( $695 Aussie )

B 300 watt 2 x 10 with Eminance Speakers ( $750 Aussie )

Both are sticker prices, I'm expecting to get around $100 off when it's time to deal ( aint cash great )

My question is...Given that this amp is conservatively rated at 400 watts ( Poida, what do you reakon your Ebony's pump out? Must be those "Aussie Watts" ) Each box is only getting 200 so should I go with A or B??

Cheers for any ideas...
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    With the prices of both so close, I would get the cab that sounds best to you. Those ratings and prices are so close to each other, you could easily go either way. Get the cab that sounds best to you.

If you can't hear them first, then go with the 300W cab. It is always better to have room to grow in. Although I suspect that you won't actually drive the cabs to 200W because a 2x12 and a 2x10 driven with that much power will be very loud.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually I don't have the gear to measure it. But it is indeed a monster 400w.

I guess a watt is a watt technically. The extra volume is probably more of an "apparent SPL" thing due to the amp's voicing. And looking at the pics on the website, our amps are actually quite different.

You're in Canberra - Pop in to Pro-Audio and audition the cabs. Bring your combo and bass with you.

I'd go the Eminence for not other reason than the word "Celestion" conjures up images of Marshall guitar stacks. Lots of bass cabs use Eminence.
  4. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    what brand are they?
  5. Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    They are Pro Audio's own brand of cab...They are really well made cabs & half the price of the gear you guys make in the US

Check it out for yourself

An SWR Workingmans 2 x 10 ( similar kind of specs I'd say except it's only 200 watts ) is $1395 list price in the same shop to give you anidea of the cost difference here in Australia
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Let me put this in perspective. I walked into the store with enough cash to buy a GK 1001b head for $2,200 Aus. I left with an Ebony worth $1,000. Very similar sound but more bottom end. Just as loud, more tone shaping. I even went and bought a second one 3 months later.