The Old GK800 Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Dec 6, 2001.

1. I have been having this problem for a little while and have seen that a few other people have had it as well. My GK800 seems to sometimes produce a crackling noise when i play or not work at all when i first turn it on (its SS). I followed someone elses advice and plugged a cord into the effects loop and just ran it right back to the loop and it completely eliminated all of my problems. It seems like it would be a decent amoutn of money to have it fixed but it doesnt seem like it thats big of a deal right now. What exactly is going on with this thing and is it a bad idea to do the effects loop trick.
    I would probably have it fixed if i was gigging as much as i used to or if i wasnt planning on getting a new pre-amp/power-amp setup soon anyway.
  2. mlamaze

Dec 5, 2001
    Dust, dirt and grime get in the input switch of the loop. If you open the amp, you can see where the input has a switch that activates when you insert a plug. You can take a piece of sandpaper and sand this contact point and it will fix the problem.

Leaving a cable plugged into the loop will not hurt anything. I have an old 800RB I pull out now and then and it has the same problem.
  3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    hey IMNGL, i dont know anything at all about the GK800, but your signature just about killed me, not only because its halarious, but absolutly true. happened last time i went in.
  4. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a GK800 and had the same problem. I've read about the effects loop thing. I don't buy it, because my amp worked fine for many years until it got older. That tells me that it was age, and not the effects loop, which seemed to cause the problem

This is what I did, and it fixed the problem. Get some aerosol contact cleaner (like LPS) and spray it into the jack and under the volume control nob, from the front of the amp. Turn the nob a few times and work the fluid around. Insert a male jack into the amp a few times and twist it around too. Open up the top of the amp. Spray the contact cleaner into the back of the volume and tone control pots. Twist the nobs around again. repeat. Let the cleaner evaporate. Turn on the amp plug in and test.

I repeated the above process about 3 times over as many days, and it cleaned it out. Amp sounds fine and does not give any problems.

The sand paper treatment sound OK too.