1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The old guy and taking a chance on a new bass.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Davesound, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Davesound

Davesound

Apr 30, 2013
    Hi

I just bought a Warwick Corvette Short Scale Rock bass,four string passive,natural finish.Of course I could not find one anywhere to try.So I'm taking a big chance.One thing is that every one seems to talk about the Warwick Growl on TB .? I'm hoping this may mean it holds it own in the band mix.I've always played a bass that helps drive the band.Stands out.Please forgive the expression,has Ball's ? This is what I'm after.Because I'm getting older Flatwound strings work well for me.I've also used Pressurewound.So I'm looking for an explainaton Of "Growl" and what strings out of these two choices will come closest to giving me the sound I hope I'm after, and will get? I may have done something really stupid with buying this bass.But I may not be around long enough to find one to try.It's a really great looking bass.All I've read about it has been very positive.Wish me luck!

Dave

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hey Dave! You're never too old for a new bass. If you like flatwounds, but also like "growl", I would go with a brighter flat. D'Addario Chromes will be pretty bright right out of the gate, but also "settle in"a little. They are great string for both sitting in a mix and still maintaining plenty of attack and zing at the same time.

Report back when it comes in!

3. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    If you want growl you pretty much have to go with roundwound. like TF just said up there chromes are brighter flats but you dont get much growl like rounds. pressure wounds are more like a dead round. your best bet would probably be nickel rounds....they are still a bit warm and give a lot of growl. only problem with them is you have to change them every couple months. once they go dead they lose some of their growl. D'addario XL are pretty smooth feeling and cheap...you can get a 2 pack for $20....they sound great for a couple months but go dead like every 3 months.

4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I wish I could remember where I saw it, but I just recently came across a website or magazine article that tried to specifically define what each of our "tone words" actually mean - growl, bite, bark, thump, roar, etc. etc. I think "growl" was all about the high mids, and I would think it would be hard to get from a short scale with flats, but who knows? Your pickups and amp will play a role too. Try recreating with your voice the kind of sound your bass makes. If you find yourself going "dum dum doom doom" you don't have growl, you have thump. If you find yourself going "reow reowr ree reowr" you have growl.

5. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    Or, Pressurewounds? :eyebrow:

Been enjoying my growl these last two years. Except on one of my basses that has now-two year old Pressures. That's been a bit dead for a while, but my other bass is okay!

6. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    I've used a Corvette for easily 16 years or so at this point.

The "growl" many people attribute to Warwick is a mid-range, woody kind of tone that's inherent in the instrument. As many have said, it's really accentuated with a set of rounds, but you can still get it somewhat with flats.

Personally, I would go the Pressurewound route on that bass. You'll still enjoy the growl of the Warwick (because honestly, it's nearly impossible to completely cover up or eliminate), and you'll have a deeper tone that will sit and support the band while still cutting through the mix.

7. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    I heard Rotosound flats are super bright. I've tried them before and they were pretty damn bright and growly for a guy who likes his rounds.

8. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    …speaking of the devil…

9. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Other companies do make a type of pressurewound, you know... :p

Brand affiliation aside, I've used nearly every major label string on my Corvette, and for the OP's wants/needs, that's probably the best option.

10. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

The Warwick will growl no matter what you put on it! The sound is very distinctive. I had Elixir coated rounds on mine - it was fantastic. Smooth, comfortable string with low finger noise and the sound of rounds.

11. Davesound

Davesound

Apr 30, 2013
    Hi

At 70 I assumed I would know much more about everything.I think I 've been learning more that I'm older then ever.To be honest TB has been a big help to me.I don't remember how I found it but I think someone who has been looking out for me pointed me here.I've used the pressurewounds.They are OK on my hands.I'm going to order them.I think they stopped making the short scale.Maybe I should get a couple sets when I find them.Thanks for all your help.Also everyone seems to like the Warwick Corvette.The short scale is what I ordered ,but it's on back/ order so I'll have to wait a month till they make more.

Thanks so much for all the help.And I think I understand the meaning of Growl a little better!

Dave

12. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    There was a miscommunication; the short scale Pressurewounds are still being made. The ones that were discontinued (and we still have a fair amount) are the medium scale ones.

13. lowendmetal

lowendmetal

Jan 30, 2013
    Try bassstringsonline.com greatgreatgreatgreatgreat company to deal with

14. Davesound

Davesound

Apr 30, 2013
    Hi

Thank you.I'll order them from Basstringsonline .Glad they are still making them!

Thank
    You

Dave

15. PhatRon

PhatRon I blow bass

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    fender flats provide all the growl you could want while still delivering some great low mid thump. there's several threads here on TB that will attest to that. Don't rule them out.