the OLD GUY and the PUNK

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jvasquez18, Mar 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    and old guy was sitting in a subway train when a punk comes in and sits next to him. this punk has a blue mowhak and plaid all over. the old guy begins to cry in joy.

Punk: what's the matter?

the Old Guy: when i was your age i made love you a peacock.

Punk: is that a reason to cry?

the Old Guy: yes, because i think you're my son

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    hey, you should look "punk" up in the dictionary.

there's a definition that is quite relevant to this joke.

that is, it will make it quite perverted.
  3. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD

HAHAHAHA, i just looked it up, thats good dude.
  4. According to my Websters dictionary:

punk (pungk), n. 1. any prepared substance that will smolder and can be used ro light fireworks, fuses, etc. 2. dry, decayed wood that can be used for tinder.

punk (pungk), n. 1. slang. a. something or someone worthless or unimportant. b. a young ruffian; hoodlum. 2. punk rock. 3. a style characterized by bizarre clothing, hairstyles, etc., and the defiance of social norms. -adj. 4. informal. poor in quality. 5. of punk rock or the punk style.
  5. damn punksters :p

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    when i looked up "punk" in the dictionary (methinks i just kinda came across it while doing vocab), i saw one of the definitions was a young man (boy) who is a lover of an elderly man.

well, there ya go.
  7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    :p heh heh heh heh ;) :D
  8. Back in the old time circus days, pickled punks were deformed fetuses (feti? How do you pluralize "fetus"?) in jars of formaldahyde.
  9. Wow, everyone around here gets a really good laugh about punks and piercings and such.

I've got a quaint little story for ya.
    One time there was a Punk who went into a Village Inn for a cup of coffee with his friends. While there, some drunk Cowboys told his sister (who isn't Punk) to "shut the F up" because she was laughing at some of his jokes. The Cowboys then threatened to beat the Punk's ass for no reason besides the fact that he was different than they.
    The Punk and his small table of friends ignored the Cowboys and continued on with their conversation and coffee.
    A few days later, this Punk returned to the V.I. for his routine coffee with some friends. He was told by the manager that "for his own safety" he shouldn't come around for about a month.
    The Cowboys from the night before had called and complained about him. They had no ground for argument, they simply didn't like "his kind".
    The manager allowed the Punk and his friends to have their coffee and then leave. While hanging out, one of the drunken Cowboys showed up. A few minutes later two police officers showed up and started questioning the Punk.
    It appeared that the Cowboy was accusing the Punk of breaking into his truck. Fortunately, the police officer was a friend of the Punk's father and knew that he wouldn't do such a thing. The rest of the night went on without incident and the Punk left.
    Three months later, the Punk returned for some coffee at his favorite V.I.
    He was told that he was PERMANENTLY BANNED.
    You see, Village Inn is a "family restaurant" and obviously PUNKS do not come from families. Regardless, V.I. couldn't be loosing customers to some dyed, pierced and mohawked freak.
    And they did lose customers because of the Punk; 18 of his friends who had been sitting waiting for his arrival overheard the conversation.
    All of them cancelled their orders and walked out.
    V.I. lost close to $200 that night because they discriminated against MY appearance.

I took this to a district manager and was promptly ignored. After a while, I gave up. I tried to gather Civil Liberties to help me rally against V.I., but they seem to be just as prejudice against Punks.

Whenever I see jokes and snide derogatory comments made about Punks, of course I am offended. To me, they are no different than racist or religion jokes. People ask why I dress and look the way I do? Well, if this is how so much of mainstream society acts toward different cultures and different appearances, why would I want to conform to that appearance/lifestyle?

I have a word for you to look up in the dictionary...

10. :rolleyes:

It's funny how members of a group whose music and culture dwell on individualism and being shunned outsiders suddenly start whining when someone decides to take them at face value and actively shun them.
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Wanting to be diffent and falsely accusing somebody of a crime are not the same thing, Peter.

Also there's a line between attitude and action.

What if the comboys were the "punks" in that situation, or blacks, or... - would you still give the same comment?

Face value? Bull****
  12. Oh, I'm not disputing that, and I think what the VI manager did was wrong--not only from a moral standpoint, but from a business perspective as well. (I'm sure that the punks eat just as much, if not more, than any customers they might "chase away.") But "what ye shall sow, ye shall reap" still applies here. Your attempt to liken this situation to racism is intellectually dishonest and oversimplistic, because race is not something that someone can choose. Having 15 piercings and multicolored hair is a conscious action designed to draw attention to the wearer.

Anyhow, I've always had a healthy distrust of punk culture. At the end of SLC Punk, the main character's statement to the effect of "we didn't realize it, but we were all poseurs" really hit me hard. I've always felt that if one wants to change society, it must be done within the structures of society and in an evolutionary fashion, because history teaches us that revolution brings brutal counter-revolution.
  13. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    bleh this thread is making me angry. people shouldnt be judged by their looks. not all punk rockers are scarry hoodlums who spit at your face. c'mon give me a break. i guess you think everyone should conform and be like robots? yeah that sounds good to me :rolleyes:
  14. I've known plenty of punks who act and talk like robots reading Jello Biafra tracts. Don't tell me that this isn't conformity.
  15. Peter,
    You haven't known plenty of Punks. Give me a break. So you've seen SLC Punk and now you're just another joe who thinks they are top s*** when it comes to the subject?

I likened the JOKES to racism and RELIGION jokes, NOT the situation. Learn to read.
    If it makes you feel any better, I'm 35% Cherokee and Iroquoi. This isn't the reason I have a mohawk, but it is the reason kids called me "gut-eater" and "savage" in highschool. As far as religion (wow, you can CHOOSE religion, so you left that out, huh?) I am Gnostic and Pagan. I've been harrassed for that as well.
    That abuse was actually more tolerable then what I receive as a Punk.

We may dwell on individualism, but what gives you the notion that we like to be "shunned outsiders"? Do you think I like to be treated like a lower form of life because I have "strange" hair and piercings?

You say the I am being "Intellectually dishonest"? So you think that because I am different that gives society the right to shun me and beat me and falsely accuse me?

Those kind of ideals remind me of a movement that occurred in Germany in the 1930's.
    "...history teaches us that revolution brings brutal counter-revolution."

No respect for me = no respect for you.

16. ChlkDstTtr

ChlkDstTtr Guest

Feb 15, 2002
    Seacoast New Hampshire
    It's hard to tell when something will be taken as dirogitory or if people will be able to laugh at themselves.

It's too bad that we have to watch everything we say, and sometime people might over react, but if it does offend someone maybe you should be cool enough to say "sorry I didn't mean it that way" instead of pushing it farther.

I know I'm pretty new here but I though this place was to build community, not walls.

Just My Opinion.
  17. Actually, I do know a good number of punks. I used to hang out with them and I do sound for punk shows because it's fun. I've had many a late-night conversation with punk rockers about topics like these.

No, I don't think you like it, and I treat everyone equally no matter how weird they look--as long as they bathe on a regular basis, I'm cool with them--but I know from experience that society sure doesn't think that way.

1. No, I said JMX was. Go back and carefully read the post before making a response.

2. No, I don't think it gives society the right to treat you like crap. But, I do think it's somewhat ironic that a group whose rhetoric is so heavy on self-marginalization doesn't expect to be marginalized by society.

Godwin's Law. You lose.

EDIT: Formatting cleanup.
  18. rhythmrod

Oct 27, 2001
    Austin, Texas
    HEY!, HEY!, HEY!!!!!!! IT'S GETTING A LITTLE TOO DAMN DEEP. We all have social agenda's that we would like to push, however, let's do it in the correct forum. What started as a little lighthearted humor has degenerated into quasi-confrontation. We should all be able to laugh at ourselves and not be soooo damn sensitive. NOW, let's get back to the serious stuff BASSES,BASSES and more BASSES. OK BYE, BYE, OK BYE!!!! Let's lighten up.;)
  19. That is THE BEST MOVIE ever!!!! But I agree, to not allow punks just because they are punks does not go well with me. I see them as a person, just like people of different nationalities, skin colors, etc.
  20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ad Nauseum ~

Punks dress and behave the way they do specifically to elicit a reaction from non-punks. Don't sit there and bitch when you get what you want.

The simple fact is that people DO judge others by their looks. It's perfectly rational and legitimate. It's the first clue as to who the other person is. Don't try to tell me that you won't immediately form an opinion about me if I approach you wearing a $2,000 Armani suit. My guess is that your impression of me won't be favorable from your perspective. Also, don't expect me to rush to hire you if you bop into my place of business sporting an array of studs, spikes and rings through your tongue, eyebrows, ears, nose and nipples. Sorry, but my clients don't want to see that.

I was amused by the response of a street-urchin punker when asked by a journalist, "Why don't you get a job?" She screamed back, "NO WAY! I DON"T WANT TO BE A PRISONER LIKE ALL OF THESE ZOMBIES WALKING AROUND HERE!" (Or something to that effect.) Who's got the options? I can get on a plane any time I want and go just about any place in the world. She's stuck on the dreary streets of Seattle, begging for her next pathetic meal.

I don't see the punk life style as beneficial to society in any way, nor to the individuals who choose it. When the world marches on into this millenium, history is going to look back, shake its head, cluck its tongue, and say, "Wasn't that weird?" Just like it does now over the hep cats, zoot suiters, beatniks, hippies and all the other groups who looked just the same as a proclamation of their "individuality" and rejection of the current social gestalt. Give it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.