1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The old guy in the band

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by powmetalbassist, Mar 9, 2013.

1. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

I was thinking back on my music career and realized I was almost always the old guy in the band. First band I was ever in I was 16 and the rest of the guys were 14-15, not huge, but thats where it began. When I was 24 I was playing with 21-22 year olds. Here I am on the cusp of 31 playing with people who are 30 (same age yay!) , a 23 and 25 year old. My band before this was a 26,25, 22, and 20 year old.

Being the older guy I tended to be unofficial band leader. Being the mature one and the one who wanted to make the band succeed or atleast play some shows. Seemed I was the only one motivated while the others would want to noodle or get high.

Anybody else have tales of being the old guy...how'd it go for you? Is it a point of pride? Whats your story?

2. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    That's odd, but I'm the opposite. I have always been the youngest person in every band I've played. It's odd. Never really thought about it until you posted this.

3. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I think I'm in the same boat. The last band I was in the average age was 32; I was 50. My new band is probably more mid 30's to early 40's, but I'm now 51 1/2. The weird thing is that I don't feel older. Probably because I'm very immature. I feel that music is about talent; it doesn't matter who you are it's talent that brings musicians together. Popular (one dimensional) music celebrates youth, but real musicians appreciate diversity.

4. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    I've been on both sides of the equasion. When I started out, I was always the youngest, but now at the ripe age of 60 and climbing, most of my contemporarys have long hung up the straps and headed for the golf course. What is truly sad is I'm am playing better than I ever had before, and I really miss some of those guys.

What I wouldn't give to have a momment in time to to play with them again, they way I can today, but with the talent they had 30 years ago.

5. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I've usually been the youngest guy. But I think it's because I'm usually more interested in older and established styles of music.

6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I was usually one of the younger if not youngest in bands historically too. Current band I'm second oldest, but three out of four of us are all roughly the same age with the exception of a much younger guitarist.

7. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    I've been on both sides of the equation. What I dislike is being prejudged for it.

8. jakka1

jakka1 Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Pittsburg, Kansas
    The last 4 band I have been in, I have been the old guy so I know where you are coming from. Currently I am in 2 bands. I am 40 and am still playing with people in their 20s and 30s. Fortunately nobody believes that I am as old as I am. ;)

I figure as long as you are still having fun doing it... age shouldn't be a factor.

9. old guy here. just about twice as old as everyone else in the band. still headbangin at 50. music knows no age.

10. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    ^^^and he is OooooooLD

11. brotherbassj

brotherbassj

Sep 20, 2008
    Virginia
    Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink
    I was the denmother for the cub scouts......the mediator of the fights..........the responsible one..........I was 6-11 years older than the other four band members........

12. Melonthief

Melonthief

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm with you. I was always the youngest but now at 49 and still doing metal/ prog I am the oldest. It's never a problem once I get my foot in the door but there is a lot of age discrimination when people are looking for players.

13. Been the old guy in the band for the most part. Never thought of that before. Hmm....

14. Astreaux

Astreaux

Aug 31, 2012
    Krutonia
    Also the old guy in the band at 58... Most of the others are my kid's age or younger (30's and 20's). They are excellent musicians in their own right and each have excellent qualities. But nothing is a substitute for experience and having been there and done that. They have looked to me for advice on not just music things but life things as well. The "father figure". Not that I have all the answers, but usually at least have a suggestion or two for them to consider based on past experiences. Don't like to tell anyone what to do, but suggest alternative ideas to consider. I don't feel like the old guy. Just when I look in the mirror and don't see the young guy that used to be there looking back at me in the past...

15. I am the old guy at 47 - (That doesn't even sound right - I never believed I'd become this old...) But the cool thing is that now I can afford good equipment, and my playing is better than it's ever been... I do have to actually "warm up" now instead of the old grab&go. Age does have some benefit sometimes... in addition to cheaper car insurance. ;)

16. quarternote

quarternote

Jan 31, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Yes, I too am the oldest in our group. As someone told me, "what does a 74 year old bass player want most? To be 75.

17. Astreaux

Astreaux

Aug 31, 2012
    Krutonia
    +1 I hear ya brother!!

18. A couple of years back I filled in for a tour with a local band. I was already comfortably in my 40's. My neighbors were these 20-something musicians and their bass player was in Cambodia for the summer. I had made plans with my girlfriend to go someplace, but she had some last minute bills come up and she didn't have the money to go anywhere. My neighbors asked me step in and I said, "Why not?"

It was a good time. We did the whole West Coast - LA to Seattle. I re-experienced things I hadn't seen since I was in my 20's, so that was amusing. I slept on some really gross floors and drove around crowded in a small van with a bunch of people half my age. They knew I was older that they were, but I think they didn't realize how much older. I made few cracks about "The Rocker" starring Rainn Wilson, but nobody else had seen it. We live in a really small town, and I'm friends with the keyboard players parents.

Overall, it was really a good time. In overview, I think that the musical landscape is healthier now than it was when I was in my 20's. The allure of fame has kind of dissapated, and younger musicians are more in it for the positive experience. Computers are definitely a big change - one thing I noticed was that while there was less focus on chops and technical understanding of the building blocks of music, all of the band members could play to a click without complaining. Using social media, the band leader had pretty much every inch of the trip figured out ahead of time, down to what the stage we were going to play on that night was going to look like. Maybe it was just this particular group, but that's what I have to report.

19. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I'm 33. In one of my bands, the other three guys were all born in 1983 so I get to chuckle as they all turn 30 this year. Actually only one is left in his 20s; he turns 30 a week before I turn 34 in June.

In my other band, I think I'm the youngest or second-youngest. I don't really know them as well but I think one is my age and the other two are 38-39ish.

27 is over the hill for rock 'n roll anyway, so unless you're a 21 year old prodigy, keep your day job :D

20. eb3mike

eb3mike

Nov 5, 2010
    At 60 I'm 6 years older than the next member and 15 years older than the youngest. I am, however, in better shape than any of them.