1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The old guy in the band

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by powmetalbassist, Mar 9, 2013.

1. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    When I was in my twenties I played in a band with guys in their forties.

When I was in my thirties I played in a couple of bands with guys in their forties.

When I was in my forties I played in bands with guys in their forties.

Now I'm in my fifties and my band mates are... in their forties.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have actually done both (oldest by far and youngest by far). My first band I was playing in clubs all over NC and VA at 15-18 years old. The rest of the guys in that band were 30+. The semi-pro regional band I played in for a decade I was 30 when they hired me and the rest of the band was around 18-19. These days I do mostly fill-ins so I never know until I get to the show what the ages of the band members are usually (unless I have worked with them before).

3. I've been the young pup for the most part. Even now I'm still the youngest but not my much.

I'm 39, the singer just turned 40, the lead guitarist is 41, the rhythm guitarist is 55, and the drummer is the dinosaur having just turned 64.

4. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Ten years ago, I was in a band where I was the "old guy". I was in my late 30's, and they were in their mid 20's. I was also the guy with the most gig'ing and playing experience. When I first joined, the other players were somewhat raw; their musicianship was also not well developed. That was the cool thing though. When I auditioned for the band, it was because I liked the potential of the material they were writing... I was some very fun stuff! It was quite a thrill to watched their musical ability grow before my eyes! I now consider the lead guitarist to be one of the better players in this town.

5. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    My last band I was the oldie in my 40s and one was 21 one 25 one 30 and one 28.. HAHA now im in one with a guy older than me one a couple years younger and one 26 .. HAHA ROCK ON if the Chemistry is right who cares the age WOOOOOOO

6. I'm thinking that if you're going to be the "old guy" in the band, there's no better instrument to be playing than the bass*.

The mileage we accrue is just added value...

* Actually, there is no better instrument to be playing, period.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I don't look or act my age...will be 40 in about a week! Yikes!
    My singer and guitarist are two years younger than me, and the drummer just turned 33 yesterday.
    Last weekend we played a couple of shows, and some chicks hung out with us afterward. One was asking our ages, and I asked both how old I looked, they both replied "23". :eek:
    Okay, even if they both had their beer goggles on, it's flattering.

8. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    43. I'm the "middle" guy in the band. My drummer is 63, and he has only gotten better over the last 15 years. Yea, I've played with him for a long, long time. Couldn't imagine replacing him. He and I have a great rapport and unusually for a drummer he is the most reliable person in the band.

9. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    My first band I was 18 the others were 15, Now at 67, my lead singer is 80... and I feel 18 again when I play.