1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The old guy

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Davesound, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Davesound

Davesound

Apr 30, 2013
    Hi

Just want to make sure I understand the following correctly.Presently I have a Set of light gauge GHS pressurewound Flates SS on my bass.I don't think they are for me.I ordered a set of Labella deep talkin flate wounds SS from Bassstrings on line.He suggested these.I'm told if the gauges are about the same,which they are,just changing them should be all I have to do.I don't want to get in over my head,but I should be able to do this.? Worst case I take the bass to the music store and have them correct what I did.Of course that cost.! So should I be able to change them myself.I'm 70 but not dead yet! Should that normally be the extent of work involved in this project?

Thanks
    Davesound

2. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    You're asking if to change the strings you only need to change the strings? Am I getting that right?
    If so then yes.

3. That will probably be all there is to it. There may be adjustments needed, but probably not.
    Just be sure not to cut the new strings too short! If in doubt hold an old string against a new one to be sure. You can always cut again if it's too long.

4. You'll need a pair of wire cutters to cut off the excess on the new strings.

Copy the length of your old set to make sure you don't cut the ends off too short. Take your time.

5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    It sounds like you have never changed strings before in your long life. Do yourself a BIG favor and take it to a luthier and have him instal the stringset and give you a totally new pro set-up. Yes it costs, but your bass will play better and you'll be much happier.

6. You can find many videos of how to change bass strings.

Here's one that might give you the confidence to do it yourself.

7. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    'Specially with flats, it's best to measure, then always crimp (90') BEFORE cutting (beyond the crimp).
    This keeps the windings from loosening.

8. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Learn to do this yourself. There are helpful how-to videos on youtube, if you want to watch someone else demonstrate a string change.

There's an ongoing debate about whether to remove all the strings at once. I've usually remove one string, and replace the one in that position before going to the next one.

Now, I'm mentioning this since I removed all four strings (before replacing them) on a bass today, and the neck went into a back bow position. It took longer than usual before it settled down with the new strings, and much more tuning time was required as compared to one-at-a-time.

It's not that anything was damaged, it just took much longer for the bass to tune than usual.

9. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    One string at a time ftw.

10. Davesound

Davesound

Apr 30, 2013
    Hi guy's

Well I did it changed the strings.No problem! Took everyone's advice but only changed one at a time.Used the old for length. Didn't realize How much difference strings make the bass sound.I now have the Labella very thin SHort scale flats on my Ibanez Miko bass.It to me sounds like a 50 fender.That's the sound I grew up with and like.I was told the Ibanez would sound different then my Fender.I'm sure it can. I think this also shows it can also sound the same.What about this thing of woods being the sound regulator ? I have a Fender Squire SS 4 string with Fender 9050 cl thin scale flats,and my new Ibanez MIKO SS with flats that can sound alike if that's what I want! That doesn't match what I have been reading on TB or other places?

Thanks
    Davesound

11. donn

donn

Mar 28, 2011
    Seattle
    Oh no - not that one! So ... strings ... you're finding the La Bella and Fender flatwounds sound the same? What La Bella gauge do you have - 760FX (.039-.096), or 760FL (.043-.104)? The Fender strings you mention, 9050CL, are really more medium weight at .045-.105, according to what I read. How long have you been using that set?