1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The old guy

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Davesound, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Davesound

Davesound

Apr 30, 2013
    Hi

I'll be 70 on Jan 18,2014.I really don't like birthday parties , specially for me,but for some reason I would really like to have one.I would invite our band,Husbands and wives.My few relatives,and some friends.Not a big party.But you can't have a birthday party,given by your'e self.That doesn't seem proper.I can't hold a surprise party for myself.I don't want gifts.How do I do this and not look and sound like a lame old man.Don't know why this would seem like fun.I'm not a party guy and don't understand where this is coming from?What should I do! Maybe I'm affraid this may be my last!

does anyone understand me and can explain my actions and feelings on this.How to do this,or not ,if it makes any sense at all.
    Thanks

Davesound

2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Sure. You've reached a sort of milestone. You want to celebrate with friends and family. It doesn't have to be all about you. You want to let everyone know how much they mean to you, how much you've enjoyed their company and frienship over the years. This birthday thing is just an excuse, a vehicle to facilitate the get-together. I'm sure everyone will have a great time. Tell guests there will be no presents, their company will be enough. Just come and eat, drink, swap stories, maybe pick a little, and be merry. Have a great one!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

3. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Call it a release party for Davesound version 7.0.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Throw the party. No one will care who threw it.

5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Why not? I you feel like it. Supply the food & drinks and they'll show up.

6. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    Celebrate, and get a sub for bass for your band, step in for a couple of numbers. Everyone will have a good time!

7. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I expect there will be copious amounts of strippers and blow at said party? :D

Congrats, here's to many more! :bassist:

8. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Congrats on the milestone man.
    Keep on rockin'

9. +1. Yeah, just throw the party and have fun.

10. Dave, congratulations. Throw the party! Do it your way. Even if there were some kind of social convention, or attached stigma, and I don't believe there is, you've reached a point in your life where you certainly deserve to do things the way you really want.

11. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Sure you can, why not?

Just say, "Hey, I'm throwing a party to celebrate my 70th birthday, and I would love for you to come and share it with me."

What's wrong with that? I'm sure your family and friends would be delighted. Go for it, and have fun!!

12. At the rate I'm going at 70 I could probably plan my own surprise party. Congrats! I'd say celebrate by getting a bass made in your birth year but maaaaaaan, you're old ;) .

13. tgabor

tgabor

Oct 7, 2003
    From a 75 year old ….stay thirsty my friend.

14. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    "Please come and help me celebrate a milestone birthday ... I'm turning 70! I'm told it's the new 40 ... if you think so, too, then join me in welcoming middle age"

15. I'd fire my guitarist for a cool looking old guy that also played guitar. no audition needed.

16. Auguste

Auguste

Apr 5, 2012
    Go for it

17. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Seconded.

18. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

+1.
    You have paid your dues...you can do whatever pleases you.
    Congrats on reaching 70.

19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This was my first thought as well. Just express in the invite that you really want them there to share this moment with you.

As for presents, they aren't always about you. I know that seems counter intuitive. But I LOVE giving stuff to people. That feeling is as much about me as it is them. So, just ask that they don't, but if they do bring gifts, be gracious and let them have the joy of giving you something.

Happy Birthday!

20. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Dude, you'd be crazy not to.

What are you waiting for?

Your eightieth? Not a good plan.

By the, you might forget what it is that, uh, um, what were we talking about again?