Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The old Kay is back!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Fred W, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    ....and not a moment too soon.Almost 3 months since I last played the old hag.Picked her up today;What a difference!I played it all thru the Jets game( I might have to do that throughout the playoffs) and it felt so good i had to log on and share it with you.What I had done: Graphite rod in neck, neck wedge,#2 thick ebony board, sand down & oilfinish handle, new 6.5" bridge, ebony
    saddle. This bass used to be: Good sound, bad feel. The rosewood board was singularly resinous and thus very slow,the neck handle had a heavy coat of varnish with chipping, and the strings felt very stiff.I put Corelli 370TX's on and it was still too stiff. Now they feel like solo strings,Ill probably put the Labella mediums back on.
    I would like to acknowledge Ray Parker's input on this; I was just planning to stick an Englehart new neck with ebony on it, at half the cost, but Ray enlightend me to what a real complete job can do. Thanks Ray.
    Now my mission is to get my chops back after so long ( its my only DB).She's fast and sleek, waiting for me to open her up.A labor of love. Hope you NY cats have a chance to check 'er out one of these days.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    A good setup makes all the difference. Let me know when/where you're playing so that I can stop by. Put me on your Spam list if you have one.

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Pardon but what is a neck wedge( I know what it would mean but what does it achieve)?

AJ

4. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    The wedge installed under the fingerboard helps achieve what is called overstand, raising the fingerboard so a taller bridge can be used, so that ships with tall masts may sail under the strings.

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Cool thanks

do you Accept Eazy pass?

AJ