Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Old Landmark - Blues Brothers Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by `ash, Mar 16, 2004.

1. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    Does anyone know where i can get the transcription for this song? It doesnt have to be tab, standard notation is fine.

I have seen a Blues Brothers Souvenir songbook, but i dont know whats inside it. If anyone has this book and can give me some info, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
    Ash

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Where does it come in the film? I've got it on DVD but that doesn't include an option for jumping to a named track.

Also, where have you looked and have you made any progress yourself?

Wulf

3. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    Its the song James Brown does in the Chapel.

Im really suck at figuring songs out by ear so i have no idea where to start.

Its a briskly paced song, and it sounds challenging. (but it would probably turn out to rather simple now ive said that!)

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I thought it was - I might have a look sometime later this week (no promises though). A good excuse to dig out the film if nothing else :D

Wulf

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I had a quick look - not enough to figure it out, but enough to refresh my memory. I've never sat down and learned it note for note but, as I recall, it was the inspiration for the following riff, which I often dig out and adapt when I want an uptempo gospel feel:

G||-------------------||
    D||.-5---------2-3-4-.||
    A||.---2-3-4-5-------.||
    E||-------------------||

That would go over a G chord but move the starting note to adapt to the sequence you're playing. Also, don't just stick to playing it straight as written - add some swing, a dash of syncopation, and feel free to double or mute some of the notes.

I often dig this out at church when I'm leading and use classic Amazing Grace. I use the following chord sequence:

G G C G
    G G D D (often with a D/E D/F D/F# run here)
    G G C G
    G D G G

starting off slow (mainly root notes) but pumping out the above line by the time we hit "When we've been there ten thousand years, bright shining as the sun...". It's not the bassline to The Old Landmark but it does do the trick in helping to "gospelise" a bassline (can I get an amen, bruthas and sistas?!)

Wulf