1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Old Man Got Schooled

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The young adults and high school age kids at my church have started a monthly youth service last month. I was asked to come and play bass at their program but I did not go because I am 53. This week I was asked to go to rehearsal, but was told that they had a replacement if I could not make it. I said I could come, but I would not mind it if they got someone young to play for them.

I went to the rehearsal today and played a song, and the young guy showed up. I guess he is 25 at most, and could be 19 or 21. He had a Fender Precision Lyte, the same as Thad Tribbett, and I asked him if he is a fan, and he said yes. He certainly proceeded to play just like Thad Tribbet, he played a million fills, and left no space at all. I have to give him credit, he made it groove, although there were times when he and the guitarist clashed, and the drummer was close to being lost. His vibe really seemed to light a fire with the choir, and the sanctuary rocked with young energy. Funny enough, the drummer told me that he still wants me to play with the youth, but my feel is certainly not like the newest generation of Urban Gospel bassists.

Oh well, I guess I have to keep representing for the generation of Fred Hammond and Andrew Gouche, guys who came on up on the Funk and slapping. These young guys really reflect more of slippery Neo Soul and Hip Hop influence that I really dig even if I am not ready to move that way.

2. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    “Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill”

3. So Dr. Cheese you did not actually get school clashing with the guitarist and not locking in with the drummer screams the young guy needs to go back to school. Someone once said "the most notable note in a song can be the one never played" Letting the music breathe and note placement is way more important than playing 16 notes in a measure that do not fit. You would be doing him a favor by taking the gig. And maybe it will open his eyes to the kind of bass player who gets the gig and who doesn't imo RTS

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The young guys are into impressing each other, which is cool. There is an art to playing all of those fills and really listening to the other players and singers. I think it only works well if somebody chooses to hold back on the self expression and lock into the groove. I like like locking in, I did a bit of the fill style, but it does not come naturally to me. I am a funk and rock guy who notion of a fill is a little lick here and there that gives the song a sense of movement like chromatic walk ups between the changes.

5. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

IMHO if you have it you do not need to flaunt it. Don't need to prove to someone else what you can do. You play to and for the music. Only show enough to win and walk away. Feel the same way about football touchdown demonstrations. Barry Sanders always just handed the ball to the official.

6. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    It`s pretty hard to go wrong following in the footsteps of masters like Hammond and Gouche.
    Those are some powerful precedents, not to mention soulful, tasteful, and expressive.

Playing in a more subtle yet powerful style is more of an art form than sheer volume of fills, no matter how well they make them flow and groove.
    Ya gotta leave space for everyone else who`s playing too.

7. I've never heard Gouche's playing listed as "tasteful" in the context of restraint and holding back! The guy is a monster player, everything I've heard from him he is all over it. I mean, I like it. I am definitely not one of those "no money above the 5th fret" guys. I always looked to Gouche as a standard bearer to "bass can be busy, if it's good- that makes it great" school. Or like Wooten says, you can get away with being busy with great note choice.

Makes me interested to check out some Thad Tribbett.

8. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    and let the church say,,,Amen

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think Gouche locks in more than Tribbett. That said Tribbett can certainly lock in fiercely when he wants to.

10. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Yeah, he plays quite a few notes, but he leaves space, and always in the right places.
    His grooves can get pretty busy but he's not obnoxious about it.
    That is tasteful playing.

We've all heard players who fill like crazy, and often you just wish they'd lay off it and let some breath into the music.