1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The old ones are (sometimes) the best ones!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eckie, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    I took my old 74 P-Bass to practice last night instead of my 2010 Jazz V. The rest of the band said the P sounded far better! I have to say that it's hard to disagree with them. What a dilemma!

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    A milf is always better than her daughter!!!

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. Stormer

Stormer

Jul 24, 2012
    A while back i borrowed a '65 jazz to do some recording, it sounded and felt far better than my '99 jazz.

4. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    The other nights was playing my sunburst roadworn J which has Nordstrand SV's. The bassist in the band playing after us came over and said something long the lines of "you just can't beat the old ones for tone, your bass sounds fantastic" (to be absolutely clear he didn't say a word about my playing hehehehe :) )

We both had a laugh when I told him the bass was made in 2009 and the pups in 2011:) And for the record, I couldn't care less about the whole Rw look, I just like the instrument.

So what do we think of the theory that runs something like... The reason folks tend to say that old instruments sound the best is because largely only the good ones have survived?

5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    It's the mojo in those old ones :bag:

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    shhhhh...don't let anyone know. The vintage (buyers) market is pretty decent right now, lets not drive it back up, OK?

;)

7. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    Maybe they prefer the sound of a P to a J. :meh:

8. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Dec 25, 2011
    Canada
    I think it is a placebo effect because it survived until now. I'm sure you would have brought a 2012 P bass and the band would like it as much.

9. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Could be...

10. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Haha. I played a Tribute L2000 when my last country band started, and it did OK. Then I bought a Classic '50s P, put a Quarter Pound and TI Jazz Flats on it. The next rehearsal we got two bars into the first song and everybody turned around and said, "THAT'S IT!"

A couple of years later, I ran into the drummer at a local diner at breakfast. Out of the blue he said "I don't pay that much attention to the bass [confirming my suspicion] but that orange one was something special."

Fender50sPrecision.

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Sometimes it's true, sometimes not.

My 1963 P doesn't sound any better than my 200 MIM J. Just different. 50 years of aging hasn't given the old P magical qualities.

12. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Bummer for you, my friend.

My 1962 P has magical qualities and drops huge bombs when I pluck the low E. It made my CIJ 62 RI Precision sound like a toy when I A/B'd them. The 62 RI even had the Fralin PU's installed that everyone raves about...just couldn't cop the same vintage tone.

Maybe you should get rid of your '63...let me know if you need someone to take it off your hands for ya :D

13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Hummm ..Well I'm a Fender head ..Yes its true and have owned and played allot. The best sounding Fenders I have ever played were Pre-CBS Fenders they were all from the 60's. I have never heard any basses sound like them anywhere at any price since I played those 60's basses.
    I have been chasing that sound for years trying to save money doing so :smug:

So far I'm very close in my 83' SQ MIJ Squier beats both of my 70's Fenders and and other MIA, MIJ, MIM I have owned. It has beat out custom shops and custom made basses also.

I'm not saying it can't be done with a new bass but it has not been done in my book and no bass yet has ever made me drool in tone since those Pre-CBS basses...just sayin.

14. This is the truth.

The placebo effect is pretty magical, though.

15. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I might also add (while straying a bit from the OP): An old bass's FEEL has a lot to do with how you perform on it.

Not that it cannot be replicated with some light sandpaper and tung oil these days, but a nice old, worn-in neck with decades of palm grease embedded into the wood has a feel like no other. Throw a nice dried out wood body against your tummy and it's a great feel you can't really deny.

Check out this 1960 Jazz neck. It just screams, 'PLAY ME'!

DSC04594.

16. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    I think that's probably the truth. However, the guitarist did qualfy it by saying it suits our songs better.
    I've often heard folk saying the P "sits better in the mix" and now I'm starting to understand that. The other guys maybe found it easier to hear rather than just feeling the low end rumble of the J.