1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

the old vst machines. hardware studios. not software.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by alangoldstein, Mar 24, 2011.

1. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    Endorsments: Aguilar, Hartke, DR strings, Analysis Plus "Oval" Cables
    do any of you have a non computer recorder ?

such as the roland workstations ie::: vst880 2480 etc?

was curious, which i could get used that does 24 bit / 48 khz recording, WITH a cdr burner and hard drive inside instead of flash cards.

i know the new zoom r8 and r16 will do 24 bits but on sd cards.

i just have NO LUCK here with the computer interfaces

tried m box back in the day, with protools, and now usb pod studio ux1 ( line 6 ) im returning it.

just wondering who has those older high quality machines and would like to chat about them

used reaper, podfarm, amplitube 2 , and more....

i cannot tolerate the crackling or intermittent glitching even with 4 ghz ram and 2.68 speed core 2 duo machine . 280 gig hd.

i give up on computer recording for now...

2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    SD card are preferable, IMO. You can load a lot of tracks on a 32gb card, there's no mechanical issues (noise, wear and tear), you can keep multiple cards for multiple projects and easily swap between 'em, you can load them directly to your PC or Mac ... etc, etc, etc.

I'm with you though, I hate dealing with latency issues when I'm laying down tracks (I do all my own instruments and vocals). BTDT, and it's not my thing to spend more time trying to make the recording work that I do on the content I'm recording. I'm not sure why you think you need better than CD quality though. 16 or 24 bits at 44.1 is plenty good for nearly everything, and better than studios of just a few years ago.

The problem with Roland (all of 'em) IMO is the lack of a USB interface and the use of SCSI peripherals. There is no simple way to transfer files for final editing and mastering to your computer (which I do all the time). Doing any serious editing on the tiny screen is a major PITA (except the VS24xx which you can hook up to your computer monitor with a VGA interface)

To be honest, I've been using a little Boss BR-600 here. I use a analog mixer up front and route the tracks to the BR. I do my tracks, then transfer to PC with Boss's WAV converter (easy sleazy) and do my final editing, mixing and mastering on the PC using Reaper. Great results. I've been thinking about a BR-800 to get more connectivity via USB (file transfer, USB audio interface, and DAW control surface). But I'm not convinced those are worth the expense as what I have now works just fine.

3. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    hi
    I have a br 864 boss with USB . flash cards memory too , but for my band leader , producer he wants 24 bit and 96 kHz or 48 kHz for his pro tools system when I send him my sessions
    and I want one with built in cdr cuz it's a pain to use my dual home deck jvc cdr unit via optical cable

but anyway I hear u on
    hard drive pita noise and wear

I love the vst 24xx to hook up to monitor !!! that's cool anything better than little screen right

well the thing is what should i get once I sell my 864 and the home burner ?

new zoom r8 ?

ps I have reaper it is great for edits and crossfades but sux with any vst modeler I tried. total bs latency un useable !!
    so far the only one giving me good results don't laugh is irig into iPad 1 garage band app !!!!!!
    no latency that I feel at all it's bad arse so far to make ideas with and then expand upon in a real studio or to arrange on the pc

I wish I had money for a Mac quad core home tower with protools eleven rack or hd but I dont

4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    My needs are simple. I record acoustic instruments almost exclusively, effects are limited to some reverb and compression, which I accomplish in the analog mixer before recording. No virtual instruments. I still don't get the requirement for higher resolution, though. He can simply import your tracks ... and when he renders the mix he can do so at whatever resolution he wants.

5. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    I'll ask him

I guess it just sounds better ? maybe only to dogs ears tho ? or aliens

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021