Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The older Euphonic Audio VS. Acme Series II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Which do you guys prefer and why. The models I am speaking of are the EA VL-210 2-10B? And the acme Low B2 series II. Upright, jazz 4, 5 string, and SWR SM-900 or a Eden WT-400 will be pushing. I am speaking of two of each also. Would it be good for a wedding/private party band that plays all the good oldies motown? Or should I just go with two aguilar GS-112 cabs or two Epifani T-112 cabs?

Thanks Guys:bassist:

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I haven't tried ACME cabs (yet!), but I do own some VL-series cabs. One observation regarding the VL-210(B) is that while it is a very good sounding cab when playing at low to medium levels, to me it seems that the upper mids don't open up until you really start to push it. However, it is one of the only cabs that I have heard where it keep sounding better and better the harder you push it.

If you are not going to be playing in fairly high volume settings, you might want to consider two or three VL-208's instead. They seem much more open and balanced at low to medium levels, and will take a good deal of juice before they start to break up. While two VL-208's will do an adequate job of reproducing the low B, once you add a third, the low end increases dramatically. I don't know why the jump from 2 to 3 is more noticeable than the jump from 1 to 2, but at least in my experience, it certainly made a huge difference.

If you are considering the Epifani route, I highly recommend that before you set yourself on two T-112's, you at least try a T-110UL with one of the T-112's. I own this combo, and I also own a second T-112. IMHO, two T-112's don't sound very natural at all on URB, but when you add the T-110UL, you get better articulation and balance, particularly in the mids to upper mids.

Epi cabs are a tad more colored than EA's, so if you were sticking to URB only, I might steer you towards the VL-series. However, assuming that you went with a T-112/T-110UL mini stack, for electric bass, you will have lower lows and higher highs (with a slight scoop in between) as compared to the VL-series cabs.

All of your choices are excellent, and as with most things, it comes down to your personal preference.

Tom.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    uh... your choice of cabs seem a little random.

how bout describing to us the kind of sound you want?

all the cabs you mention do great jobs at making certain bass sounds that they do best. all a matter of what kind of sound you want.

EDIT:

sorry for being so blunt, but honestly, if you do a search in the forums, you should find PLENTY of info.

cliffs notes version -

the 2x10 cabs will be punchier and more chest thumpie than the 1x12's which will be fatter sounding in the lower lows. the 10" speakers will help to cut thru a dense band, while the 12" speakers like most larger bass speakers will be great for filling out a small band, where you need the bass to fill in the lower mids and lows.

as for the cabs...

the Acme's are very flat and uncolored, so you'll pretty much hear your bass and preamp with very little speaker coloration. dunno about the SWR, but my old WT400 was a great match to my old Acme 2x10. the aggressive furry tone of the Eden head was a nice complement to the cleaner, smoother Acme.

the EA's have an almost flat response, but the CXL2x10 series i tried, had an obvious goose in the upper higher high trebs for an airy sound, and the low end had a nice push for a ballsy, punchie sound. dunno bout the VL series, but that's my take on the EA sound. Tom might have a better idea.

the Aguilar's are dark and smooth, and might sound toooooo dark with the Eden WT head. my old GS112 was almost muffled with my old WT400. but with the cleaner, brighter SWR, they might be a perfect match.

the Epi's are clean, airy, and detailed. but, they might sound shrilly with the brighter SWR, while a good match to the dark, more aggressive Eden.

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ive got an idea. stop coming up with every possible combination of cabs for vs. threads and actually go try some out.

-SWR goliath Jr. (the old one)
    -getting a new cab, Bergantino or Epifani?
    -Epifani 3-10 or 2 Aguilar 1-12 cabs. Which is better?
    -EA 2-10 or Epifani 3-10 which is better?
    -2 Bag End S-15D cabs VS. 2 Aguilar 1-12 cabs
    -Acme LowB series II 2-10
    -older epifani 2-12
    -Acme LowB series II 2-10 or EA older 2-10 or Bag End 2-12 with coax?
    -Epifani ultralight cabs
    -epifani 2-12 older or Acme 2-10 II
    -Bag End S-15XD questions
    -Do the Aguilar and Epi 1-12 cabs really have it?
    -Anyone like the SWR Workingmans 1-10?
    -anyone use that newer Mesa 15 cab?
    -EA VL 2-10 vs Acme series II 2-10!

better yet, bite the bullet and actually buy something. its pretty easy to find all the cabs youve been posting about used. then if you dont like em' sell them for what you paid.

5. That's a little harsh. Not all of us (definetly not me) live in an area that the higher end gear is available to try out. My local store stocks the norm...Fender, Peavey, Ampeg. This site is great to obtain information on bass gear. Isn't that one of the reasons many people come to this site?

To be honest, I have never heard of Epifani, EA or Bergantino and knew very little about Aguilar until I joined TB. I enjoy giving info on whatever piece of gear I have owned or have tested.

As far as biting the bullet and buying something...wouldn't it be nice if we could point someone in the right direction? By doing so, we might save this person some serious cash. It's this simple...if you don't want to give advice then don't, no one asked you in particular. Also, some people have compared the cabs you mentioned. I enjoy reading the comparisons...it's one of the reasons I enjoy TB.

6. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Yeah **** Boy I am just asking because I do not any way to try out any of this gear at all. I am in a place that sells nothing but Peavey so stick it up your freaking ass, bra!!:spit: ;)

7. It may sound a little harsh, but it is true.

The fact is that no matter how much someone tells you how a cabinet sounds, it really means nothing to anyone except them. If you don't believe that, ask Mcrelly. He bought some EA gear based on the good things he heard about them here, and he didn't like it at all.

However, here is my take:

An Eden WT-400 is not powerful enough to push either 2 EA VL-210s or 2 Acme Low B2s to their capabilities. The SM-900 is more realistic to properly drive those two cabinets. Acme recommends 500W to properly drive one B2, but at the least, they should get 350W a piece. The EAs are 500W cabs, so you would probably want 1000W to drive 2 of them. I am using an iAmp 350 with my CXL-112 and it only gives the speaker 250W. I am upgrading it the first chance I get to an iAmp 800 and grabbing another CXL-112.

As for the different speaker choices, there are people on here that use all those combinations. For a wedding gig, any of the combinations that you mentioned should work. The deciding factor is probably which one you like better, as all of them should cut it with your band.

Jokerjkny's descriptions of the cabs' sounds are quite good.

Geoff

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    guess what, i dont live in an area that sells high end gear either. so, i bought used and sold off what i didnt like. you buy used so you dont lose anything in the deal. and if you're not willing to buy used to try something are you even in the market?

i dont have an issue with comparison threads and i like to see them myself. however, that's when it comes to things that havent been reviewed ad nauseum. some people are nice enough to give evaluations of gear theyve evaluated a hundred times for people who didnt bother doing a search and that's cool. but, it still clutters things up.

and as geoff said, what we say matters little anyway. my idea of what epifani and bergantino cabs sound like is different than what most people here think.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    actually, i can hear where Narud is coming from. i think i've literally answered the same post/question at least 3 times this week. :meh:

not that i'm sick of helping people out, but honestly, i think there's a wealth of info out in the forum if a person uses the search. you'd prolly find me answering 3 times over! ;) :D

still, you might have a brand new opinion from someone coming from a different POV, and that's always exciting.

btw and FYI, i've tried the Eden WT400 with the Acme and it doesnt quite "bloom" as it did with my Stewart power amp driving the proceedings, but it still sounded pretty darn good.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The only CX-series cab that I have is my CX-310, and it most definitely has more upper high end than the VL-series cabs. So, if you like sparkly high treble, the newer EA cabs may be better for you, but if you like a more natural, subltly full tone, the VL's are hard to beat. Joker, I think that the older VL cabs would not fit with your current take on the EA sound. Compared to the CX-310, my VL-210's and VL-208's sound noticeably lacking in the "upper higher high trebs."

You know, that's kind of what I would think, too. However, when I bought my T-112/T-110UL, I tried them out with an older SWR 400, and it really sounded nice. The 400 with either cab alone, though, definitely sounded like it was missing something compared to the cabs solo with my Walkabout. I agree that an Eden (or Mesa) head would be a great match to Epi cabs.

Tom.

12. Got to agree with and emphasize this point. There's hours of reading you can do in this forum (and the DB forum, Harmony Central, BGRA and the TBL archive). It really helps you ask more of an informed question. It also helps you learn what kind of gigs the regulars here play and what kind of sound they are looking for. And that helps you weight the answers you get.

Once you do the research, you've got to bite the apple one way or another. Just take a day trip if you are reasonably close to a dealer(s) who carries multiple brands. Look on the website of the brands you are interested for dealers. nickelseye, you could surely get down to the City.

None within a days drive? Contact the maker directly and ask if there any users in your area. Talk to them and I think you'll find that most are happy to hook up so that you can hear the sound.

I'm going out sometime this week to play my bass through a EA CxL112. The guy is a small time EA dealer who got into it by letting folks try out his gear.

13. Yeah, it's missing the sweetening (or warmth, thickness or whatever) from that 2nd tube in the walkabout.

(OT) BTW, if you haven't swapped the old GT tube in your 400 out for current EH or JJ, you should give it a try. Even a SWR fan like myself needs a little relief from those "crystal" highs. My experience with the EH is that it smooths out the highs and thickens the upper mids just a bit. Just what I wanted.

14. Dewees

Dewees

May 4, 2000
    It would be very helpful if those of you who know this equipment actually post reviews in the review section of the site. There are utterly NO reviews of EA or Aguilar equipment there. I didn't bother to look further. Anyway, perhaps posting reviews would diminish repeated quesitons regarding equipment.

thanks,

Dewees

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    there's a "review" page?!?!?!? :eek:

hmm... wow, there it is... learn something new here everyday. ;)

16. Great idea Dewees. This might help clear up alot of clutter on this board.