1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

THE OLP MEGATHREAD !!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderhutz, Mar 5, 2008.

1. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    UPDATE!! Pics and clip added. Added OLP MEGATHREAD HEADING.

I got a blue sparkle OLP with matching headstock for a good price and other than a pearloid pickguard, what upgrades to consider and WHERE can I find them.

I already know I want new knobs.

UPDATE!!!!!

www.tellhazelrun.com and listen to "Always" WARNING! Heavy Music alert.

Opinions of the sound?

Here are the pics as promised!!

IMG_1807.
    IMG_1808.
    IMG_1809.
    IMG_1810.
    IMG_1811.

2. arjune

arjune

Oct 8, 2006
    SF, CA
    New pickup.

3. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV

What brand, where? Active?

(Would it be evil to darkstar this?)

4. MickMichaels

MickMichaels

Jan 16, 2008
    A Darkstar on an OLP !! Do - it, would be a great passive bass I reckon.

5. Word on the street is that these are a tremendous value pickup upgrade for those.

6. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Why not?

Ordered.

7. preamp?

8. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I like the passive sound.

9. can you give us a mini review on that pickup when it comes in?

10. Yes, I'd also like to know your opinion once you've had a chance to play with that pickup.

I just bought a used OLP in the same color - and I'm liking it pretty well. I didn't perceive any shortcomings on the part of the pickup or the bass, but I'll be interested to know your comments about the pickup. I'm not generally inclined to modify an instrument unless I perceive a problem with it...but if that pickup turned out to be something really unusual, the price is right and the bass wouldn't have to be modified in any other way.

11. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Not really an 'upgrade', rather more of a 'must have' for me - I put D'Addario ECB81 Flat Chromes on mine. I have the flame-top w/maple neck and tort p/g. Its a decent enuff bass for what I paid for it ($200 new at GC). A couple of the strings don't line up precisely with the pole pieces on the pup, though.

It was my fave 'beater' until I recently picked up a circa 2000 Fernandes (Japan) Atlas 4 at MusicGoRound.

Regarding the OLP: if i wanted to change out the tort p/g, who has replacements? Jeannie? It is my understanding the hole pattern (and possibly more) is diff then the actual EB.

Thanks for the heads up on the replacement pup as well. OP: please review it here ASAP.

12. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    After changing strings I really don't think I even need a pickup.

13. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I hope all of this didn't cost you more than $400. Because for that price you can find a used MM SUB that is head and shoulders above the OLP basses in every respect.

14. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
  15. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    My mm32 (Stingray 5 HH) needs nothing upgrade wise.

16. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Hahah, nah, I ordered mine based on the kind words of others here on the forum.

17. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I paid a decent price for this bass, and it's WAY more meaty with the passive pickup.

18. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    My first priority before upgrading hardware would be a fret level and dress. I don't think I've played a single OLP that didn't have a couple of high frets to make my prefered low setup possible.

19. You haven't played mine. No problems at ALL.