1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The one bass you wish you never flipped?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cronker, Jun 2, 2014.

1. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Which bass of yours did you wish you had never sold?

Mine was the Ibanez RB850, my first "good" bass.
    No regrets, because we have to move on.

But yours?
    Discuss.

2. Ibenez Ergodyne 605GP

My first bass. It was great.

3. 2003 Warwick Thumb Blonde
    blonde.

Early Tobias Signature 5 custom burst finish
    tobiasred5string.

4. Late 80s Ibanez RD707 in orange with rosewood and black hardware.

Early 2000s EBMM S.U.B. in black with active electronics. Damn it......

5. Mid 80's MIJ Fender J Special. It wasn't my first, nor the best - but I just miss it :crying:
    I've tried tracking down the person I sold it to, but it's more than 20 years ago. Heck, people move around!!!

6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    An Ergodyne EDC700. It was a great sounding bass, but it was more the sentimental value more than anything.

7. TNF

TNF

Oct 7, 2006
    Dallas Tx
    An old Ibanez Black Eagle. I think it was a '77. It was a badass.

sparkyfender2 and IGotGas like this.
  8. jetbike

jetbike

Apr 2, 2011
    Sydney, 'Straya
    Wasn't sold, but stolen.

1981 Ibanez Blazer BL-800 TV. Primo P bass goodness.

9. An all original w/gold hardware Walnut Precision Bass. The neck was s super thin C and, while all walnut, seemed a bit flexy in that it required a lot of subtle truss rod adjustments to stay in the "happy zone" and also an old aquamarine metallic Fender Performer, all original, but again with the extended fret neck and bi-flex truss rod, it was quirky and I'm usually not one for pointy basses but it was so weird and so clean and such a great price at the time, I grabbed it. Probably wouldn't be playing either one still but should have stuck them away and forgot them from an investment standpoint.

kamakiriad7 likes this.
  10. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I had one of the first Stingray 5's, and it had a bit of a pedigree regarding the previous owner. Sometimes I wish I had hung on to it.

Then I remember that the B string just never felt right, and the major factor in selling it was that I hadn't taken it out of the case in over a year.

kamakiriad7 likes this.
  11. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Interesting that there are a few Ibanez here. Where I live, Ibanez used to be a just-above entry level instrument (years ago).
    My Ibanez was a great instrument.

12. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Yamaha BX-1 headless. So cool, but it just wouldn't be my friend. I'm older, more experienced and sober now...maybe we could get along today.

13. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    A frankenbass I picked up at a pawn shop. It was a Korean Fender "Squier Series" (I guess back before Squier was it's own line?) with a precision body and jazz neck. Someone had rubbed the Squier series logo off, swapped out whatever electronics were originally in it with a set of EMG P/J's (leaving two holes in the pickguard,) then played the hell out of it, but the damage was purely cosmetic.
    The previous owner had managed to pass it off as an American Deluxe Precision, and the shop had it tagged at $800. It was also lacking a battery, which for some reason meant only the top coil of the P pickup worked.
    Once I explained to their guitar guy how royally screwed they were, they lowered the price to $250. When they were ringing me up they brought out its Fender heavy duty padded suede gig-bag (I'd guess worth ~$150.) What's more, once I got it home I found a Monster cable in the front pocket.
    It was an absolute beast. Running it through a Digitech hard-wire metal distortion I was able to get Les Paul level feedback out of it. It was like Trevor Dunn had died and was speaking through me.
    Unfortunately, vodka is a helluva drug, and I flipped it to make ends meet. (I'd already pawned my amp, so I wasn't completely crushed.) I was honest, and sold it based on the value of the hardware alone. Managed to make a profit, and the only loser was a rather... "carnivorous" pawn shop.
    But man, that bass was one of the clearest basses I've ever heard.

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I've had a few - my very first bass (Gibson EB1, 2nd generation), my Kramer 6000B, sold to a pawn shop after my wallet got stolen (led to me joining the air force of all things!)... My blue Sterling. I played a ton of gigs with that bass - still not sure why I sold it.

15. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    My 1980 Ric 4001. Man I wish I still had that bass. I had put a Badass bridge in it and the bass was badass.

16. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    My Peavey Cirrus Redwood 4. I don't play active bass and don't care for 35" scale, but that was a beautifully built bass that played and sounded just as nice. I could easily get a used one now but I can't justify it since the bass isn't what I'm into now. But it would still be nice to have since I paid for it once already.

17. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Early 70s Fender MusicMaster. That bass had some serious mojo and a huge tone. I got in a pinch and sold it to pay off some traffic fines so I wouldn't lose my job.

18. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    My 1957 Fender Precision. Getting rid of it was the wrong decision.

19. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo.... We share your pain ;)

20. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I wish I would have never gotten rid of my 1985 Modulus Sweetspot. Man that was a really nice bass.