The one i want to love, and the one i do

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StillSour, Oct 31, 2016.

1. StillSour

StillSour

May 3, 2016
    So, i really wanted a VM Jag bass. i played it in the store and i loved it. I brought it home. i still love it, but i think only because i want to. i play it more than my other 2 basses, and its the one i like looking at.

But...

When i play my SR, it just feels right. It sounds great, plays great. the neck is smooth and narrow. the 3 band eq gives me a ton of control right at the instrument, so less pedal tweaking.

I want the Jag to be the Ibanez.

Dont get me wrong, the Jag sounds great, and plays great too. just not to my hands liking so much as the SR.

Just thought id share that. if i were to buy a 4th bass, im not sure where id even start, because i thought id want another Squier or Fender, but Ibanez might be where i look first.

2. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Wantage, New Jersey
    I've had several like that. Basses I wanted to love but never really connected with them. It's too bad we can't rent basses and then swap them out for another when we're done. I've lost thousands of dollars trying to find the right bass that suits my needs. A lot of it depends on our physiology and style. What feels right and allows us to express ourselves. But, I also feel that life's too short to play an ugly bass so appearance matters to me as well.

Kmrumedy and StillSour like this.
  3. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    That was how it ended up between me and my Rickenbacker. I had a deep lust for a 4001/3 ever since I was 13 years old. Being that Rics were abundant as unicorns for most of my life, I didn't end up getting one until I was 40... That's a long time to have GAS.

Needless to say, I was deeply invested in this bass long before I ever acquired one. This was my 'Holy Grail' bass. And when it finally arrived and I opened that case for the first time, I swear I saw rays of light eminating from it and heard a choir of angels singing the lost freakin' chord!

I wanted to love that bass so much, and I thought I actually did for a short while, but I was deluding myself. As time went by, I started to notice that my hot-rodded SX Jaguar (Ursa 4) was getting all the play at home (and was favored by my bandmates) while the Ric was collecting dust. I eventually sold the Ric and the Jag is still my #1 out of my 4 basses.

StillSour likes this.
  4. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    I think you just gave the most accurate description of the Talkbass Classifieds ever! :thumbsup:

Mediocrity Man and Sid the Kid like this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021