The 'one' magic pedal- Xotic Bass RC Booster!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tonepolice, Dec 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. My only bass is a rather unique 1983 MIJ Fender '62 reissue P-bass. I play it through an Ampeg BA300 amp at band rehersals and gigs and the newer BA110 v2 for home practice. I've got it strung with Labella 760FS flats. I mostly play old skool rock n roll, rockabilly, motown, soul, reggae, some basic funk and classic rock. Jamerson, Carol Kaye, Duck Dunn, familyman etc... being the main influences, you get the idea.

So pretty happy with my setup and tone with this rig but I wanted to get that one and only magic pedal that would enhance the tone of my passive P-bass, just one pedal! Being a traditional ol skool style player I wanted to stay minimal with my setup and was looking for that one pedal that would not color my fundamental tone but just enhance it. After some research I settled on the Xotic Bass RC booster!

Got one a few weeks back and I LOVE what this pedal does to my basic tone! Its got a very usable treble and bass knobs with a wide range and the gain and volume blends gives you a lotta options for various tonal colors. I love it for it's simplicity and that Ooomph it kicks in to my basic tone! After some experimentation I've found a sweet spot for this pedal (volume, gain and bass at 12:00 'o clock and treble at 1:00 'o clock) and leave it on all the time! I feel that my ol' skool rig is finally complete and the chase has ended. Anyone else love the bass RC booster here?

G RICH 5 likes this.
  2. BUMP! No love for the RC booster?

3. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I dig it. I used a Xotic Bass BB for a long time like you use the RC. I now use a compressor now for basically the same purpose.

tonepolice likes this.
  4. My ZOOM B3 effects processor has an emulated Xotic Bass BB and I agree that you can get some great sounds out of it.

John

CharlieC likes this.
  5. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Which compressor?

franklindayala likes this.
  6. Matt Dean

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    origin cali76 compact bass.

G RICH 5 likes this.
  7. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    ahhhhh.....the best......thanks

8. Matt Dean

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    That would be considered debatable by some, but I think it's pretty good.

600 Ohms likes this.
  9. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    all pedals can be debated upon....there are a gazzillion of them......I myself have the Empress and the Smoothie and a Moen.....thought of getting the Cali but too many knobs...lol

10. Matt Dean

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Empress and the Smoothie are no slouches!

loopee likes this.
  11. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    quite right......but the Moen really was pretty nice considering it fattened up the sound nicely.....still, the Diamond was my favorite but too big and 18v so I started looking for a smaller pedal because I was trying to get the smallest ones to fit on my mini Pedaltrain and I bought the sfx Micro Comp

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  12. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I bought one to use as a booster for certain sections of songs and, because it sounded so good, would end up just leaving it on for the entire gig. Great pedal!

13. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    which one? the Diamond? Only thing is I barely use compressors, never used them then decided to try them out when I tried a Diamond in the store, which sent me on a wild chase for almost one year buying 6 comps. I still have them all but am not really using any. Haven't done studio work in a long time and now only jamming with friends and at open jams. Don't see myself in a band at 65 so I'm going to have to sell them all and keep one.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  14. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    The RC Booster.

15. ThatLowEnd

ThatLowEnd Dirt, Trucks, BBQ, Whiskey

Apr 14, 2012
    Down In The Delta
    Has been/Never was
    I love the RC Booster. Only thing I have come to like better is my 3Leaf Audio LBB

16. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    ah, yes, the RC Booster......if I had lots of $ I'd keep them all.....

17. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    I was tempted to try that one

18. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    creation audio MK 4.23 is an awesome 24dB of clean boost

Amplified and loopee like this.
  19. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    yes, and the Grizzly Bass pedal might be my next purchase to replace all my other pedals (boosts and OD) that I've tried in the last 3 years and still can't find "the one". The Grizzly Bass might be "it"

20. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    heard that grizzly bass and loved it, but i already have a digitech screamin blues, big bass muff, source audio multiwave distortion, not sure i need a fourth!?!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021