The one-man band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by the feebler elf, May 29, 2005.

1. After months of searching, and a day or two of fact-facing, I've come to accept a few things - Unless I move, I'm not going find any musicians in my immediate area interested in playing the same music I'd like to play. Unfortunately, moving is not an option right now. So I've decided to buy an interface and some mics and do everything myself.

Has anybody else taken this route out of "creative neccessity"? I'm not likely to get to play live anytime soon, and it will never replace the feeling of creating music with other individuals, but I still need to make some music, dam**t! Any thoughts and/or experiences?
  2. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, I'm doing the one-man band thing right now. It's pretty much out of creative necessity as well. I have pretty defined ideas, for these particular songs I'm writing, of how not only the bass sounds, but also the guitars, drums, keyboards, etc. It's kinda more like a solo project in a Lenny Kravitz or Kevin Gilbert sense, and I want total and complete control over it.

That's not to say I won't play in a band, because I agree: playing music with other individuals is something that can't be replaced. It can be tough finding other musicians that gel with the styles and ideas you have, that's for sure.
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Check out the absolute best one-man-band I've ever heard.

That 1 Guy
  4. Desi

Jan 11, 2005
    That 1 Guy is a class act :hyper: . I'm doing the whole one-man-band thing as well, as I have no desire to bend to another's creative vision as well as have them bend to mine. I'm also a loner by nature, so interacting with others would be somewhat of a cumbersome task for me and I feel better when doing things on my own, and when I want to do them.
  5. That 1 Guy is awesome! And he lives pretty close to where I live, too. :)

Actually, he's a bassist by main instrument, so that's cool.
  6. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    You gotta love the "uprigth" he plays in that "one" video, hahaha!!!
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, I'm trying to do the one man band thing, but I'm in a rut. I know what I want but I just don't know... how to go about gettin' it.
  8. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I'm generally a one-man band. Lately I've been recording a lot as The Five Elis, my a cappella group. I'm also starting an acoustic one-man band (guitar, accordion, double bass, and drums/percussion).