1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

the one pedal that will NEVER leave my possision and why...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by infamousxtopher, Apr 6, 2006.

1. mxr m-80 di+

why you ask? i've been using it on my electric for well over a year now, great di and eq. but i could live without it. the reason i'm in love. i am mainly an upright player and since i'm a student my equiptment budget is very tight so i'm amping my upright with cheap piezos through a 15" hartke b90, about as far from an optimum rig as you can get. i get that nasly piezo sound and so much string noise it hurts, and its not all due to technique problems, the pickups are jsut sensitive. today i decided to bring my m-80 in for the dress rehersal for a university jazz band gig tonight. and we were all floored. my sound that was so trebly, thin, and could never cut through the mix, it sounded nearly as good as my teachers acoustic image. all it took was pressing that little color button. this pedal amazes me, it will be on every upright gig with me for the rest of my life, end of story, thanks for listening :)

topher.

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    ...it would have to be the tech 21 bass driver di. it's what all the other pedals i have are based on.
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
    but seriously:
    if i lose ANY of my pedals, it'll be a sad day, mang.
    :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

3. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    for me...
    ... Xotic Bass BB Preamp
    Only overdrive/distortion/fuzz I'll ever need.

4. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Another Xotic user! I've got the AC Booster and I love it. Really grits up my Precision. Your bass-specific version must be even phatter!

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I can't narrow it down to one....

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont use pedals enough to say I couldnt live without them. A tuner pedal is most important to me,heh. I also really like my boss dd6 delay for solo practicing stuff.

7. probably my Danelectro Fabtone, mainly because my girlfriend bought it for me, and she doesn't really understand my whole buy-use for a while-sell mentality of my effects so she'd probably injure me in some way :)

8. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've pretty much got enough redundancies in my board that if any of my stuff ever gets broken/stolen/ etc I would be able able to get along without it.

That said, if my 105q were to get busted, I'd be pretty mad.

-Dash

9. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    EBS MultiComp. It is transparent, you don't hear much "effect", but when I switch it off, something is missing. So it stays always on.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I sold one, and then realized my mostake and bought a different one the same day.

11. dumelow

dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    England
    i need all my pedals live, otherwise the songs just arent the same, if i ever played a gig with none of my pedals it would problably sound alright, but pretty boring compared to with my pedals

12. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    yes it is!:bassist:
    I don't know actually:) ... I also tried the BB Preamp for guitar and I couldn't hear much difference. But I figured black or orange...:smug:

13. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    +1

It would sound ok, but no distortion in the heavy Choruses...it just wouldn't sound right!

14. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Same here, this thing makes my bass sound great. I have the feeling it squeezes a lot more overtones out of my bass, which I like a lot.

15. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    IIRC, it's currently found a comfortable home on my Micro-Rig...

Which brings up mine..

I love Reverb, and Ilove chorus... so instead of having 2-3 pedals that I move from gig to gig, I did go ahead and build a second pedal board for more laid back settings. M-90 -> Small Clone -> Holy Grail -> SansAmp BDDI all in an NYC Pedal Board.

16. Two, actually....

1) Boss CS-1
    2) BDDI

17. shizack

shizack

Aug 24, 2004
    I would have said my trusty old Digitech Bass Whammy pedal. I used that thing ALL the time - fantastic detune/chorus. D@mn good tracking on octave-down dive bombs as well.
    It got stolen a few years back. I'd love to have one again but they're going for $250+ used. I paid $179 new for mine in the early-mid 90's.

18. If I had to keep just one effect, it would have to be the EH Small Stone Phase Shifter.

19. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I couldn't remember who I sold it to, but I seriously bought another the same day. I'm glad to see you still have it!

20. i have 2
    Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal
    Ibanez TS10 TubeScreamer

what can i say...i like creating different textures with different Dists....once i get an ENV filter i bet i couldnt live without it either